Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Duel Test Drive II: effect of Agnus and/or KS version on side view car animation  (Read 631 times)

Description:

Offline arkpandoraTopic starter

• Show only replies by arkpandora
Hello!  It is seven years since I last used an Amiga, and I am back to discussing the subject.

I remember that the animation of the two cars in the introduction of  Accolade's game "The Duel: Test Drive II" is perfect on an OCS Agnus and  KS 1.2 Amiga, but also I remember that it jumps at least at one point  on any ECS Agnus and KS 1.3 or newer Amiga, even with WHDLoad.  Is one  of you able to tell me whether it is the OCS Agnus or the 1.2 Kickstart  (or both) that is necessary in order that The Duel's side view cars will  scroll smoothly?

As I am not good with my hands and my remaining Amiga computers have  never been maintained, I am considering buying an Amiga 500 with new  capacitors and an HxC floppy drive emulator installed for me, but I need  to define its specifications, hence this question.

Thanks for any idea!

Jean

Offline wrath of khan

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
Quote from: arkpandora;777093
Hello!  It is seven years since I last used an Amiga, and I am back to discussing the subject.

I remember that the animation of the two cars in the introduction of  Accolade's game "The Duel: Test Drive II" is perfect on an OCS Agnus and  KS 1.2 Amiga, but also I remember that it jumps at least at one point  on any ECS Agnus and KS 1.3 or newer Amiga, even with WHDLoad.  Is one  of you able to tell me whether it is the OCS Agnus or the 1.2 Kickstart  (or both) that is necessary in order that The Duel's side view cars will  scroll smoothly?

As I am not good with my hands and my remaining Amiga computers have  never been maintained, I am considering buying an Amiga 500 with new  capacitors and an HxC floppy drive emulator installed for me, but I need  to define its specifications, hence this question.

Thanks for any idea!

Jean
Not sure about your question, somebody here might fire up test drive and check for you. If you want to repair your old amigas amigakit can do it for you. There may be other vendors closer to home for you though. Still you can pick up an a500 for like 50 to 70 euros depending on what comes with it.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Wouldn't the problem be the ECS Denise?
Kickstart 1.2/1.3 would have nothing to do with the frame skipping.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Marcel21674

• Show only replies by Marcel21674
    • http://Www.dutchmazda818.nl
When i boot td2 from floppy on my basic A500, it runs fine. On my A1200 with 3.1 roms, it gives problems with the sound tracking.
Amiga 500 + A590 + a502 memory expansion.
Amiga 1200 + harddrive + ACA1232

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/

Thanks for any idea!

Jean

Assuming that you are referring to the Start animation and between "runs" animation where a 1/4 screen side view of the car (complete with cool driver wearing shades) moves from right to left (iIrc). Never noticed it stuttering myself. But you've probably hit the nail on the head as the game was quite old and probably optimised for 1.2 and OCS. What it was written on.

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X

Thanks for any idea!

Jean

Sorry if I'm off topic, but I really loved the original Test Drive game on the C64 :-D

Offline arkpandoraTopic starter

• Show only replies by arkpandora
Thank you for each one of your answers!

Quote from: Darth_X;777197
Sorry if I'm off topic, but I really loved the     original Test Drive game on the C64 :-D

So do I.  But the Amiga version was impressive too, with its     realistic and car-specific performance and multichannel engine     sound, and still is with its timeless polished car showcase,     dashboard and gas station drawings.  Test Drive II added more cars,     and a great variety of lovely sunny sceneries, and "the duel", all     of which added more spirit and made the game more of a real test     drive (minus the duelling reckless driving of course).

Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;777145
Wouldn't the problem be the ECS Denise?
     Kickstart 1.2/1.3 would have nothing to do with the frame     skipping.

I suppose you mean "ECS Agnus".

Quote from: Marcel21674;777148
When i boot td2 from floppy on my basic     A500, it runs fine. On my A1200 with 3.1 roms, it gives problems     with the sound tracking.

Do you know the version of your A500's Kickstart and Agnus?

The sound problem is fixed by the WHDLoad install, but not the     scrolling problem.  Also it's coming back to me that the in-game     environment is flickering on some newer hardware, but I don't know     which precisely, and unlike the scrolling problem it doesn't arise     as soon as ECS Agnus or Kickstart 1.3.

Quote from: gertsy;777159
Assuming that you are referring to the Start     animation and between "runs" animation where a 1/4 screen side view     of the car (complete with cool driver wearing shades) moves from     right to left (iIrc).

Yes, I am!

Quote from: gertsy;777159
Never noticed it stuttering myself. But you've     probably hit the nail on the head as the game was quite old and     probably optimised for 1.2 and OCS. What it was written on.

It is not so old (1989): it was a contemporary of Kickstart 1.3.

But maybe not so contemporary with the ECS Agnus: can one of you     confirm that the ECS Agnus appeared on the A500 motherboards after     Kickstart 1.3, not before?  I can't find any release date.  It would     confirm that the ECS Agnus is the problem, not KS 1.3.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:24:38 PM by arkpandora »