Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What do you own besides Amiga?  (Read 6879 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: What do you own besides Amiga?
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 10, 2013, 02:13:17 PM »
Lately I've started collecting MIDI gear as well; I'd forgotten until recently that MIDI was actually pretty good until everybody started using that wretched Roland sample set that ships with Windows. (And now Microsoft doesn't even want to let you use anything else!) I've got four pieces of gear, but there's no reason to assume my collector instincts won't have gotten me more by the next time this thread gets resurrected:

• Roland MT-32 - classic Sierra/LucasArts synthy noises! I need to learn my way around editing custom patches.
  • Yamaha TX-81Z - classic DX-style FM tones with some extra versatility added. Shame it's not General MIDI-compliant.
  • Korg 05R/W - really nice wavetable synth, and I say that as someone who really isn't normally a fan of wavetable synths.
  • microKORG - probably the closest thing I'll ever get to a Minimoog...
I've also added the VAX in my signature. It's been interesting fooling around with VMS; it's quite a different animal than either DOS/Windows or Unix...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;728726
.....(And now Microsoft doesn't even want to let you use anything else!)
...I've also added the VAX in my signature. It's been interesting fooling around with VMS; it's quite a different animal than either DOS/Windows or Unix...

You can still use midi mapper on Windows 8.  I am using it. : http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/SoundUtilities/PutzlowitschsVistaMIDI_Mapper.html
Get a cheapy USB midi interface rather than trying to get a soundcard one working.
I got one of these it works a treat. : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-MIDI-Keyboard-Interface-Converter-Cable-Adapter-/320438116273

As for VMS, it was a little simular to Unix if I remember correctly. I also remember a fun game call "qwix?"  You had to keep fencing off a snake(The quix) while sparx chased you around the perimeter. Don't ask me how I remember that I think it was in 1987 I played on VAX VMS.

My Korg AG10 works beautifully on Windows 8..
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 02:50:34 PM by gertsy »

Offline Ami_GFX

• Show only replies by Ami_GFX
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2013, 05:09:13 PM »
Quote from: easy_john;728715

I would like to have more of the old hardware, but here, in large Russian cities are quite expensive apartment (I pay about 230 thousand usd mortgage for 40 square meters), and my wife would kick me from house if I bring home something more. :)
So i use some custom computers house to keep minimal used space: http://easyjohn.livejournal.com/107601.html

I have some space issues myself--a collection of electronic gear accumulated over the last 25 years or so and not much space to keep it in. I stopped using desktop PCs and have been using Thinkpad laptops as my main PCs for the last 10 years. Lately, I have been collecting PDAs--mostly Palms, Palm is now gone and like Amigas, there will be no more made. I also have a couple of the better Windows Mobile PDAs. The great thing about PDAs is that a good collection of them fits on a small bookshelf. And they are cheap.

Ironically, the only desktop computers I have are my Amigas and my Atari Megas and they do take up quite a bit of space. Especially the A4000T I bought last week. I thought the A2000 was big, how little did I know. It is in great condition and has no functional issues, the problem is where to put it. It looks like I am going to have to do some carpentry and move an applicance a couple of inches to make room for it and it is still just barely going to fit.

Lately I've started collecting MIDI gear as well; I'd forgotten until recently that MIDI was actually pretty good until everybody started using that wretched Roland sample set that ships with Windows. (And now Microsoft doesn't even want to let you use anything else!) I've got four pieces of gear, but there's no reason to assume my collector instincts won't have gotten me more by the next time this thread gets resurrected:

• Roland MT-32 - classic Sierra/LucasArts synthy noises! I need to learn my way around editing custom patches.
  • Yamaha TX-81Z - classic DX-style FM tones with some extra versatility added. Shame it's not General MIDI-compliant.
  • Korg 05R/W - really nice wavetable synth, and I say that as someone who really isn't normally a fan of wavetable synths.

My interest in electronic music predates my interest in Amigas by a few years. It actually goes back to the late 70s when I was a teenager. MIDI indirectly led me to the Amiga. I had to take a music course at one point to graduate, and there was an electronic music course offered. I thought it would be just theory and history but the school actually had an electronic music studio with 2 analog modular synthesizers, a DX7, an FB01 and an Amiga 500 with sequencing and scoring software. I didn't like the Amiga for sequencing but it had much better color graphics than the Atari 1040ST I had at home.

I have a Micro Korg too. They have a really unique architecture and as analog monophonic synthesizers go, are quite good and very underated. They are really good at rough, rock band/punk type sounds. My nickname for the Micro Korg is the Rude Boy
A2500 owned since 1993 with A2630/DKB 2632, DKB Megachip, GVP EGS Spectrum, A2320 and GVP HC+8 on the inside and a DCTV on the outside. A4000D with CSPPC, Cybervision 64 and a Flicker Magic flicker fixer. A4000T Toaster Flyer & CSMKII. All systems completly retro and classic and mostly used to do geometic art as in my avatar.

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »
Lately I've started collecting MIDI gear as well; I'd forgotten until recently that MIDI was actually pretty good until everybody started using that wretched Roland sample set that ships with Windows.

MIDI is awesome and just as useful today as it ever was.  Thing is, people have to remember that MIDI is a communication protocol like serial or USB and has nothing to do with a particular sound-set.  i.e. MIDI can be used to control theatre lighting, automate mixers, etc.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »
Besides a dozen or so computers and consoles, the few main things I collect are guitars (along with assorted gear (I love my Takamine gx-100 explorer the most)), movies (dvd, hd-dvd, bluray), games (amiga, megadrive, ps2, pc, and xb360 mostly, but a few other assorted machines), and books (shedloads of computer reference books on most subjects spanning from c64 to amiga to pc (old and new), but probably 75% are novels. King, Koontz, and Laymon feature pretty heavily amongst my collection although Ive recently started enjoying James Patterson and others like Brian Keene.
Shame, but reading seems to be a bit of a dying artform these days (or maybe Ive only just tarted to realise what a niche reading for entertainment is, not sure which).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline rdolores

• Show only replies by rdolores
    • http://www.rdolores.com
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »
Quote from: lassie;712809
What Computers/Consoles do you own? Or are there anything special you collect besides Computers :)

Besides the Amiga's in my sig, I also have:

- Goldstar 3DO console
- IBM ThinkPad T60
- Dell GX280 configured as a dedicated AROS machine
- Dell GX620 configured as a WinUAE (hosted on Windows 7-64 bit) machine
- MS XBox console
- Casio CZ101
- I have other PC compatible desktops (Quadcore) and laptops (Core2Duo), on Windows 7-bit which I have installed WinUAE as well.
A1000 - 2 Floppies, 2 MB RAM, OS 1.0-1.3
A500 - 170 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, OS 1.3/2.04
A2000 - 350 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 2.04
A2500 - 540 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 3.9
A1200 - 20 GB HD, 64 MB RAM, Blizzard IV
Amithlon - 49 GB HD, 768 MB RAM, PIII-1G
AROS - 80 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, P4-3.2GHz

Offline Sutty100

• Show only replies by Sutty100
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2013, 11:32:45 PM »
Old stuff:
Amiga 500
Amiga 1200
Apple lc2
Atari Jaguar
SNES
N64
Dreamcast
PS2
Wii
Gameboy Color
Gameboy Advance
DS

New Stuff
Wii u
Frighteningly expensive gaming pc
Synology Nas Server
3ds

Currently considering getting an amiga cdtv as I had never heard of them before and now think they look like the coolest Amiga ever!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:36:38 PM by Sutty100 »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2013, 12:09:20 AM »
I'm selling or giving away most of my excess.
My two Power mac G4s are going to people who can use them (one a regular poster here and another that wants to port Libre Office to MorphOS).
I've sold off most of my X86 equipment except for an older AGP system I use to flash video cards (except for a netbook so i can run Silverlight .

I have a 1.67 Power book running MorphOS 3.1.
AmigaDave is sending me a G5 Power mac for MorphOS.
I've an A2000 I'm slowly upgrading (don't really care about AGA - an Indivision ECS will be more then adequate).

And for experimenting with old 8 bit code, I keep an Atari XE130 around that has been modified with a Hitachi 63B09E processor (and an old Color Computer 3 which I never use as the emulator works better).

I only use "modern"  computers when I have to.

I'd love to see a new board created in A2000 or ATX form factor that would take the last AGA revision components and use Zorro III/PCI slots in companion. Maybe you could add one ISA/PCI slot for an X86 SBC.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:38:12 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Rob

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2013, 12:26:55 AM »
Quote from: lassie;712809
What Computers/Consoles do you own? Or are there anything special you collect besides Computers :)

Sold most of my Amiga stuff in the past couple of years so now I only have a CD32, Minimig and X1000 and a few little expansions laying around.

I also have a Sam Coupe which I'm thinking of selling but the floppies need cleaning/restoration since most of them wouldn't boot anymore.

Offline AppleIIGuy

• Show only replies by AppleIIGuy
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2013, 01:29:57 AM »
Apple ][+ Bell & Howell w/ Transwarp @ 3.75 Mhz and CFFA 3000
Apple //e Platinum w/ Transwarp @ 3.75 Mhz @ Focus Card
Apple IIGS + TWGS @ 12.5 Mhz w/ 8 Mb Ram and CFFA 3000
Apple IIGS + PC Transporter & Focus Card
Laser 128 EX

Powermac 6500 w/ G4 500mhz Upgrade
Mac Mini G4 1.45 Ghz

Pegasos G4 1 Ghz

Amiga 4000T CS MkII @ 66Mhz
Amiga 4000D
Amiga 3000D

iMac 27 inch i7
Hackintosh Box Core i7 3930k @ 4.0 Ghz w/ 32gb Ram

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2013, 09:47:29 AM »
I've got four pieces of gear, but there's no reason to assume my collector instincts won't have gotten me more by the next time this thread gets resurrected:

What the hey, might as well resurrect the thread. (Not like we're talking about much else at the moment.) A whole lot has changed since this post; I'm afraid I'm now a full-fledged synth fiend...

• Got an E-mu Proteus/1 module in March - glorious '80s sampler cheese (with a solid multitimbral MIDI implementation,) though it's surprisingly lacking in shakuhachis and orchestra hits. They did, however, sample the opening vocals from "Tarkus," which is awesome. Just wish I could find the support patches for various Sierra games...
  • However, things really started in earnest in April, when I bought an Oberheim Matrix-6 from a guy in Superior who used to play in a local band. I sold my microKORG to buy it, but that's okay - it's a real analog polysynth, while the microKORG was clearly digital in spite of being analog-modeling. (Though the microKORG really is excellent for grainy, crunchy trance/industrial-techno sounds - but that's not my thing.) And it has a patch matrix just like the microKORG, only with more slots, sources, and destinations. It's very much a jack-of-all-trades, even if it's a master of none - not as big as the big Oberheims, not rich like a Roland, not smooth and delicate like the Prophet-5, but good in its own way, and oh so versatile.
  • I had to sell the 05/RW, unfortunately (needed the cash.) Still keeping my eye out for a low price on its big brother, the X5DR...
  • In June, I traded the TX81Z up for a Yamaha V50 - basically two TX81Zs plus a basic (but nice) effects unit, sequencer, and crappy drum machine in a quite nice keyboard, with more patch space and a vastly improved multitimbral MIDI implementation. (Even got a basic GM-compatible patch set/map for it!) Like the TX81Z, it can't match some of the complex, multi-part sounds the 6-operator DX7s can do, but the multiple operator waveforms allow it to achieve some rich or gritty timbres the DX7s can't match...
  • Also in June, I placed an order for Korg's new MS-20 Mini, a recreation of their classic analog monosynth.

I am STILL waiting for the damn thing. :angryfire: The retailer I ordered from has been getting their shipment pushed back for three months now. It seems Korg decided to ultra-faithfully recreate a sought-after cult classic, priced it at the same dollar amount it originally went for in 1978 dollars, and then didn't anticipate anybody wanting it...
  • In July, I got two keyboards: first, a Casio HT-6000, which is a fully-programmable digital-analog hybrid synthesizer in the guise of one of Casio's cheap home keyboards. It runs complex, evolving digital waveforms through analog filters and amplifiers, and achieves a very neat sound. Like most of Casio's keyboards, it's awfully lacking in bass (though I need to test it with something other than the built-in speakers,) and it's not great for your classic analog lead sounds, but for dreamy pad sounds it's something of a hidden gem. Just a shame the keybed is in such rough shape...at least I can control it over MIDI.
  • The second was a Hohner String Performer, a simple but nice analog string machine. It doesn't have multiple settings for its ensemble/chorus effect the way some of them do, but the single setting is pretty nice, and unlike a lot of them it articulates each note individually across the whole keyboard. It's also got some additional polyphonic sounds like "Piano" and "Clavichord" that aren't that great, but layer with the strings in interesting ways, and a cheesy li'l preset monosynth that can be used on the upper half of the keyboard. Good stuff all-around, and it folds up into its own self-contained flight case!
  • In August, after way longer than I would've liked, I finally scraped together enough money to buy the Roland Super JX-10 from the guy who sold me the Oberheim. Oh my God is this thing a beast. Big 12-voice analog polysynth with a big, lush sound and lush stereo chorus, and a voice architecture that emphasizes stacking patches to make it even bigger. I could have only this one synthesizer and still have a wealth of excellent sounds to discover. The sound on this thing is what finally convinced me that analog modeling will never be a 100% satisfactory substitute for the real deal...
  • Shortly after that, I grabbed a Casio CZ-1000 super-cheap from Music-Go-Round. The CZ series use Phase Distortion synthesis, which is a kind of mirror-universe patent-avoiding take on Yamaha FM - a bit grittier and brighter, whereas FM tends toward glassy and cool...it's a neat little synth, even if its 4-note polyphony is kind of underwhelming.
  • Towards the end of August, I also picked up a Korg DW-8000 on the cheap, non-working. I've gotten it to the point where it boots and basically works, but it's seriously in need of further cleaning and calibration on multiple fronts (at present, it's common for the delay-effect feedback to go above unity and bring the thing close to blowing out speakers - luckily I've only used it on some cheap crap ones!) It's another digital-analog hybrid, like the HT-6000, but more typically analog in character, just with complex digital waveforms as a base. To my ears it's kind of like the SID chip on steroids, dark, weird, and wonderful...I can't wait to get it fully fixed up.
  • Finally, in mid-September, I spotted a Yamaha DX7 for a modest price on Craigslist. I'd had the TX7 module version for a while, but I just never used it, because all my keyboard synths were so much more immediate (I'm on the lookout for a Proteus MPS to replace my Proteus/1 for the same reason.) So I nabbed this and sold my TX7, and got a Grey Matter E! expansion to boot (adding more patch memory, splits and layers, and a bunch of other fun stuff.) What a glorious synthesizer. Everbody knows the DX Rhodes sound from a billion sappy pop ballads, but there's so many more possibilities lurking in this thing, in so many different corners of the sonic spectrum. It doesn't quite dethrone my JX-10 as "desert-island synth," but it certainly comes close.
And of course it hasn't stopped there...I'm saving for a Roland D-50 from the guy I bought my Matrix-6 and JX-10 from (and maybe his Ensoniq EPS-16+ sampler, too...every time I get burned out on the nearly-exclusive omnipresence of sampled sounds in modern music, being part of the Amiga community reminds me why it can be wonderful in spite of being overused,) and I'm crossing my fingers that, come tax time, I'll get enough in refunds to be able to cajole someone into sending me a Minimoog...

...boy, am I in trouble :lol:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:57:01 AM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline rabindranath72

• Show only replies by rabindranath72
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »
Interesting post!

Let's see...
- recently acquired Amiga 1200 with M-TEC 1230/28 RTC+68882; loving it!
- Atari 1040 STe (which I am about to sell)
- Macintosh SE/30 (same as above)
- Macintosh Quadra 650 (same as above)
- Atari 1040 STf + SM124 monitor (left in Italy; probably going to sell as well at some point)
- boring Acer PC at home (mostly used by the wife)
- boring Compaq laptop (mostly for work)
- almost boring Asus EEEPC 701

Consoles:
- first Game Boy with two games (left in Italy)
- PS3 60Gb (the one with hardware compatibility with PS2)
- Nintendo Wii

I have sold/am going to sell the other retro machines because, between work, wife and a little child, I don't have the time nor the space to keep/use them, sadly :( My main interest is assembler programming and playing Sierra games, so the Amiga 1200 fulfills these needs perfectly. I am sad to let go the Macintosh SE/30, but it's a very noisy machine (can't stand noise,) and moving software to it is a pain, so it will go.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:27:38 AM by rabindranath72 »
A1200 10Mb RAM, M-TEC 1230/28 RTC + 68882, 4GB CF, 1GB PCMCIA CF

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2013, 12:10:25 PM »
PC (3Mhz PowerHouse!)
Nexus 7 (old model)
A phone

:)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Jiffy

• Show only replies by Jiffy
    • http://clausewitz.nl
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2013, 02:51:16 PM »
I removed most  of my computerstuff from my hobby room last month and plan to sell most of it in the near future. This includes some nice items like a CMD SuperCPU, CMD Ramlink, CMD HD and the likes. Some of the older pc related stuff will simply get scrapped and there are several items I am in doubt whether to keep them or not (most of the latter are Amiga related).

I realized I could not find the time to use most of the items I own on a regular basis. And to be honest, it feels a lot better with all the extra space in that room. It's like a weight lifted from my shoulders. :-)

I plan to keep several hobby machines, though. But now it is much more managable for me: a C128 (flat), an A600 (with ACA630 & Indivision ECS) and a Sun Ultra2.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:15:01 AM by Jiffy »
Life sucks. Then you die. Then they throw mud in your face. Then you get eaten by worms. Be happy it happens in that order... My Amiga 1200

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2013, 02:51:20 PM »
Besides my A1200 system?  I have two PC laptops with dead batteries.  One has Win7 on it and I'm going to try to put Haiku 1.0rc4.1alpha on the other one.  I'm typing this on my Mac Mini (Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard).  I also have 2 PowerMac G4's that are my MorphOS machines (the one that's registered is broken) and a dormant Micro A1-c that probably still works but never gets used anyway.

:edit:
D'oh!  I forgot I have a working Commodore 64 at my parents' house.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2013, 07:08:53 PM »
I have added: a Power PPC Mac (MorphOS bound), Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, and a R Pi plus an older Windows XP machine.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+