Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Big Event  (Read 8882 times)

Description:

Offline outlawal2

Re: The Big Event
« Reply #59 from previous page: January 28, 2010, 03:44:08 PM »
You know I find it interesting that here is a single threaded, 1 gigahertz machine that is designed to fill a niche... NOT really designed to compete with PC's or MACs... Does not have memory protection...  To fill a niche somewhere in between..  Sound familiar?

A machine that requires applications to be written specifically for it.. (Obviously not PC, MAC or Linux compatible), runs on proprietary hardware... (And I believe it is a Power architecture)

Am I the only one that thinks this sounds AMAZINGLY close to the description of what the new Amiga COULD have been?   Does no one see the parallels here?

Here is a prime example of Apple brilliance.. Not the machine itself, but the background infrastructure that has allowed this machine to be feasible in the first place.  (Itunes marketplace and the apps that are being written daily.)

Like the IPAD or not, like Itunes or not, the folks that masterminded the whole thing are friggin brilliant..  Given the same infrastructure and backing, the X1000 could be a huge success... Without it though, it will struggle to even reach hobbyist status...

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2010, 04:21:46 PM »
@outlawal2

You are right, this could have been Amiga (or AmigaOne or whatever), but it isn't, Amiga is hampered by the lack of software and the lack of a polished OS.  The people who should be kicking themselves today are the folks in Redmond, they've had tablets forever they've had the financial resources and the manpower and all they've come out with is the pathetic Windows CE.  Apple really understands how to make a usable device for the masses.

Even after yesterday I heard an American radio station discussing how Apple can sell this to Walmart shoppers, this isn't a device for Walmart shoppers, it's a device for the educated middle class, who will line up up long queues at the Apple store to buy this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »
Quote from: outlawal2;540464
You know I find it interesting that here is a single threaded, 1 gigahertz machine that is designed to fill a niche... NOT really designed to compete with PC's or MACs... Does not have memory protection...  To fill a niche somewhere in between..  Sound familiar?

A machine that requires applications to be written specifically for it.. (Obviously not PC, MAC or Linux compatible), runs on proprietary hardware... (And I believe it is a Power architecture)

Am I the only one that thinks this sounds AMAZINGLY close to the description of what the new Amiga COULD have been?   Does no one see the parallels here?

Here is a prime example of Apple brilliance.. Not the machine itself, but the background infrastructure that has allowed this machine to be feasible in the first place.  (Itunes marketplace and the apps that are being written daily.)

Like the IPAD or not, like Itunes or not, the folks that masterminded the whole thing are friggin brilliant..  Given the same infrastructure and backing, the X1000 could be a huge success... Without it though, it will struggle to even reach hobbyist status...

The iPhone OS is just a stripped down osx and does have memory protection. And as far as I know all you really have to do to port from mac to iPhone is make a new interface in interface builder and recompile.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline AeroMan

• Show only replies by AeroMan
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2010, 11:04:43 PM »
Quote from: persia;540473
@outlawal2

Even after yesterday I heard an American radio station discussing how Apple can sell this to Walmart shoppers, this isn't a device for Walmart shoppers, it's a device for the educated middle class, who will line up up long queues at the Apple store to buy this.

Apple can sell anything to anyone... Jobs is a genius, and this is his talent.
It looks almost useless for me. It´s really big, and lacks some stuff.
A Newton like device would be nice. I loved my MP2000. Right size, good idea, reliable
I've used it for a long time, but it had to be replaced by an EEE.
I just can´t figure out how Apple would battle against netbooks with this product. They are cheaper, some are faster, and they can run Windows and Linux (maybe even OS X)
Probably they will rely only on the Apple fanatics user base... and Jobs persuasive powers

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2010, 11:38:03 PM »
The iPad will bomb with everyone except colleges receiving kickbacks from Apple. Don't get too worked up about it yet.
Ebooks don't seem that cheap, probably because it only costs the publishers pennies to print something. (Not sure about shipping... probably 25% to the retailer).
It's prime target is Kindle so I guess you can't really complain about the OS and you can't compare it to an Amiga. Amigas still lurk around as kiosk machines or possibly a POS machine.

The ipod was different. The iphone had apps. This one doesn't seem to contribute something new so I think it will bomb.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2010, 12:05:24 AM »
When is Apple releasing their new iHype machine?  (OK, maybe they have.)

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2010, 12:11:12 AM »
Quote from: Fanscale;540508
The iPad will bomb with everyone except colleges receiving kickbacks from Apple. Don't get too worked up about it yet.
Ebooks don't seem that cheap, probably because it only costs the publishers pennies to print something. (Not sure about shipping... probably 25% to the retailer).
It's prime target is Kindle so I guess you can't really complain about the OS and you can't compare it to an Amiga. Amigas still lurk around as kiosk machines or possibly a POS machine.

The ipod was different. The iphone had apps. This one doesn't seem to contribute something new so I think it will bomb.

The iPad won't bomb, atleast no more than the macbook air did (i.e, be a sucsess in it's niche market.) The iPad can do pretty much everything an ipod touch can, in a size that's actually useful, and more. just wait for os 4.0, apparently apple will invent multitasking, this strange method of running multiple apps at once.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2010, 01:59:43 AM »
60 Days, that's about as long as a legitimate company can go between announcement and delivery...

Quote from: orb85750;540511
When is Apple releasing their new iHype machine?  (OK, maybe they have.)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2010, 03:19:55 AM »
Quote from: persia;540520
60 Days, that's about as long as a legitimate company can go between announcement and delivery...

If that is true...   Then where the HELL is the X1000?

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2010, 05:07:20 AM »
Quote from: outlawal2;540531

Patience young padawan, patience ...

All will be revealed in the summer.
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2010, 05:59:07 AM »
@outlawal2
  Apple really understands how to make a usable device for the masses.

lol
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2010, 08:30:08 AM »

this isn't a device for Walmart shoppers, it's a device for the educated middle class

Nah, Walmart is perfect for this. I guess this is teh device for the retarded who are too dumb to use a real computer but still want to take part in the latest internet hipness. You know, that type of people who will show up on failbook sooner or later. Well, at least we will have a good laugh.

But even the retards will want to connect a USB stick, use a webcam or play mp3s while browsing the web sooner or later and will get stuck with this device. Still I bet it will be a huge success anyway, because hey - "it's very thin. And looks like this."

Offline tone007

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2010, 09:32:26 AM »
I think they could be useful for specialized apps, touchscreen control panels and things.  I wouldn't mind having to use one at the self-checkout lane at the supermarket to process my payment info.  Probably cheaper than real point of sale equipment too.  Seems kind of useless for anything else though.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2010, 12:45:49 PM »
I said legitimate company, one that is real and doesn't squander publicity on products that don't quite exist....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2010, 12:48:42 PM »
I really doubt the X1000 could be used in supermarkets.  But I concur the X1000 does look pretty useless, especially with almost no apps....

Quote from: tone007;540557
I think they could be useful for specialized apps, touchscreen control panels and things.  I wouldn't mind having to use one at the self-checkout lane at the supermarket to process my payment info.  Probably cheaper than real point of sale equipment too.  Seems kind of useless for anything else though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »
Pretty sure he was talking about using the iPad in supermarkets
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"