Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement  (Read 12885 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 05:37:32 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;801448
True, but that would cost them too. The cost of potential community development work that might happen on the leaked code is probably far less.

maybe. im not sure.. nevertheless they participated in founding the aros kickstart replacement phase 1:
http://www.power2people.org/projects/kickstart-1/
however in phase2 they seem to have reconsidered ;)
to be honest, i dont know how this impacts on them, or anybody else for that matter, but i doubt its significant.

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 07:17:03 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;801436
I think what Hyperion doesn't understand is that most people that are happy about the leak are not AmigaOS 4.x/PowerPC fans.  They are 68K people and will likely NEVER move to AmigaOS 4.x/PowerPC, so they are not biting the hand that feeds them.

Perhaps if Hyperion catered a bit to the much larger 68K market their statement might make more sense.

The buzz around Natami showed that what most Amiga users want is a continuation of the original Amiga idea, what most users would have liked future Amigas to look like - which is not necessarily what Commodore would have done.  I, and I think most 68K users, would have liked continually enhanced custom chipsets to keep the Amiga unique and better than the rest of the PC market.  AA/AAA/SuperAGA/whatever.

Catering to the tiny AmigaOS 4.x/PowerPC market seems bizarre to me.  Hyperion/A-EON would be much better off continuing development of AmigaOS 68K and moving forward with a FPGA project in my opinion.

I agree. I have made similar points in the past about the blowback from Hyperion/A-EON blocking 68k development so it is natural that the 68k masses are happy and the PPC elites worried about the leak. Arrogant leadership can expect no sympathy. Was it Queen Marie Antoinette who said of the peasants without bread, "Let them eat cake" before the French revolution and losing her head? The Amiga bourgeoisie would be wise to be more inclusive and open.

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 07:28:46 PM »
I think Hyperion has it backwards anyway.  They are not the hand that feeds their users, their users are the hands that feed them.

I have to say, I can't fathom how they are possibly still in business.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:10:42 PM by eliyahu »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 07:57:45 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;801458
+1

I think Hyperion has it backwards anyway.  They are not the hand that feeds their users, their users are the hands that feed them.

Unpaid volunteers doing the bulk of the work I guess.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 08:00:05 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;801458
+1

Hyperion's business plans failed and they would have been bankrupt without a last minute bailout by A-EON. I believe A-EON has considerable influence if not complete control of Hyperion now. There needs to be change as going with a failed business plan is ludicrous. A-EON seems smarter and less arrogant than Hyperion so I hold some hope that the necessary changes will be implemented. I don't want the chaos of another messy bankruptcy/revolution.

Offline blakespot

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 09:55:37 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;801436
The buzz around Natami showed that what most Amiga users want is a continuation of the original Amiga idea, what most users would have liked future Amigas to look like - which is not necessarily what Commodore would have done.  I, and I think most 68K users, would have liked continually enhanced custom chipsets to keep the Amiga unique and better than the rest of the PC market.  AA/AAA/SuperAGA/whatever.

Catering to the tiny AmigaOS 4.x/PowerPC market seems bizarre to me.

This might be the ideal.

I got an A1000 in 1985 and have had various Amigas over the years. Now I have an A2000 '020 (once an '060), an A1000, and a SAM440ep-Flex 733MHz. I had an A1200 '060 not too long ago but sold it.

I brought the SAM in to my D.C. office so I can use it more frequently than I would at home in the basement, and it's fun, but it's pretty slow and I'd like one but I can't see shelling out for an X1000 or X5000.

I sold my A2000's '060 accelerator and Picasso II because all souped up, I found the platform so limiting as to not actually do much with the apps on that high end Amiga. So now I use an '020 and have a near-ideal WHDLoad machine. I have OS 4.1FE on the SAM and am loading it with more and more apps. But...it's slowish and I am using it only for nostalgia, but it's a newish OS and it's not really nostalgia fodder.

My ideal nostalgia / next gen Amiga does not exist, really.

Like Haynie has said in an interview, a huge opportunity was missed in not using commodity X86 hardware. It is a shame that NG Amiga is tied to PowerPC. Yes, it make sit unique, but it limits the user base incredibly.

I want to get more out of both the SAM / 4.1 and the 68K Amigas w/ 3.1. But I can't seem to, not legitimately, and that's sad.

bp

http://www.bytecellar.com/photo_pano.html
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 09:59:01 PM »
Ofcourse Hyperion should defend their rights.

I don't get why so many have so big issues with Hyperion, that they are willing to help spread the illegally leaked source of 3.x.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 10:01:38 PM »
Quote from: blakespot;801468

My ideal nostalgia / next gen Amiga does not exist, really.

I think the Tabor 1222 would be ideal for you, I will most likely get one.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 11:36:12 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;801425
While I find it difficult maybe to remove the leaked source code from torrent and such, why is it still avalaible via github is beyond me.
Kamelito

its not on github anymore..but I googled for it and found a mirror within minutes.  Dont care.. I have my NG system and am perfectly happy with it.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline DutchinUSA

• Show only replies by DutchinUSA
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 12:51:31 AM »
Yup, I have my NG system also .. it's called Windows 7 :)

Tried the so called NG Amiga ... I'll stick with classic and that NG system I mentioned above :cool:

Let's not even start on the whole copyright crap .. :sealed:

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 01:08:23 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;801434
Hyperion possess a licence to use the code, Cloanto own the code.

This leak could actually benefit Cloanto and we the community because if developers start modifying and improving parts of the codebase and those changes are posted in the public domain; Cloanto can build binaries of those parts and distribute them.

Free development for a resource constrained company. It's a win-win.
The only loser I can see in this will be Hyperion as it will cost them money to comply with the licence they signed with Amiga Inc to "defend" against any illegal distribution of the source.
FYI, Cloanto sells both AmigaForever 2016 and AmigaOS 4.1 FE Classic.

Quote from: DutchinUSA;801476
Yup, I have my NG system also .. it's called Windows 7 :)

Tried the so called NG Amiga ... I'll stick with classic and that NG system I mentioned above :cool:

Let's not even start on the whole copyright crap .. :sealed:

I also have my NG system... it's called Windows 10 Pro with DirectX12 enabled. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 01:19:58 AM by Hammer »
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 02:26:02 AM »
Quote from: Hammer;801477
FYI, Cloanto sells both AmigaForever 2016 and AmigaOS 4.1 FE Classic.

The Pope's Catholic and water is wet.

Your point is?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline 7valleys

• Show only replies by 7valleys
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 03:08:54 AM »
I just ordered my next gen machine, a raspberry pi with AREOS, I've looking forward to playing with it.

The code doesn't seem to be on the bay and github is gone....

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 03:32:00 AM »
I thought the post was an average internet troll, but now I see it seems it was Hyperion trolling Amiga users. They are deluding themselves into thinking they add value to the 68k usersbase and that users somehow must be thankful about that.

Anyway, I see this as really great news:

Hyperion will once again (and hopefully now for good) face bankrupcy for persuing copyright infringement on AmigaOS 3.1 sourcecode. This will certainly be a nice coffin nail for them. A more than 20 years old operating system beating their ass.

It is absurdly ridiculuos, but fun nontheless.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 03:39:35 AM »
Quote from: 7valleys;801485

The code doesn't seem to be on the bay and github is gone....

You're not googling correctly.  Lol.  It's there.  I'm tempted to download it and look thru it for various gems.  I bet it has some....historical purposes,  it would be cool to have a copy of it... actual workbench source. Very cool.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #29 from previous page: January 06, 2016, 03:48:04 AM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;801488
You're not googling correctly.  Lol.  It's there.  I'm tempted to download it and look thru it for various gems.  I bet it has some....historical purposes,  it would be cool to have a copy of it... actual workbench source. Very cool.

It has a lot of gems. Inside, there is a nice word document about the path Amiga development was heading when CBM went Bankrupt. It shows that software wise, there was nothing really new in the works. That AmigaOS v42 was at very initial stages and it was AmigaOS 4, that was going to bring RTG as standard to bridge the gap between 68k Amigas, Haynie´s AAA and PA-RISC. And that PA-RISC with a 3D engine was the future (PPC was never even mentioned). And then there is a lot of hardware based on the CD32 that was targetted at different markets.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:50:27 AM by Gulliver »