Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Considering MorphOS for my iBook G4, BUT...  (Read 4406 times)

Description:

Offline Kuya MarcTopic starter

• Show only replies by Kuya Marc
    • http://google.com/+MarcosMiranda
Considering MorphOS for my iBook G4, BUT...
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:39:08 AM »
Hardware defects (caused by me) prevent normal experimentation. I have the 12" iBook G4 at 1.33 GHz, and despite hardware defects, it's still running Mac OS X Leopard.

A couple of years ago, by accident, I forgot to reduce my power supply, from 12VDC to 5VDC when plugging in my external TV tuner. As a result, the external TV tuner smoked away and the iBook G4 powered off. Since then, USB voltage is at 4.5 VDC and it's internal CD/DVD drive doesn't have enough current to read/write discs.

Additionally, when pulling off the keyboard, I did exactly that... I damaged the ribbon connect on the motherboard, and so, I have to run a USB keyboard (one that doesn't use high current).

I've been looking into MorphOS as an alternative OS, since it is a Powerbook6,7 on the specs. I almost downloaded the demo, but I don't know how I'm going to boot it in my iBook G4, since there's insufficient power for CD/DVD discs and USB flash drives.

Getting MorphOS to work, is one thing... Unfortunately, I won't be able to buy it, unless someone makes a donation... (hint, hint) I figure, MorphOS is a great way to give me a "crash course" on an operating system I enjoyed 24 years ago. Besides that, I'm living in a country that no-one else have ever touched, nor heard of an Amiga computer before.

Mac OS X Leopard is operational on my iBook G4... Is there a method to get MorphOS demo running? Or does it have to be bootable .iso file?

Kuya Marc
ReLiving the AmigaOS Experience via Emulation in The Philippines since 2012!
Amiga Forever Plus Edition • AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 1
I had an Amiga 500 from 1988-1990 and became an Amiga geek...
...but I can\'t remember how I did it.
No, I\'m not a gamer.
Originally from Seattle, Washington, USA

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
Re: Considering MorphOS for my iBook G4, BUT...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 09:26:35 AM »
Quote from: Kuya Marc;706381

Besides that, I'm living in a country that no-one else have ever touched, nor heard of an Amiga computer before.

Kuya Marc

They might not have heard of it anymore but a bunch of them touched one, considering how many of them were produced in the Philippines ;-).

Offline Homer

• Show only replies by Homer
    • http://www.graingerweb.net
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »
How about using a powered USB hub. That would give you 5V on the hub USB ports, and should restore usbility :hammer:
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:27:25 AM »
Current MorphOS 3.1 release has no support for IBook. And since your IBook is already badly injured it could be better get (cheap) replacement.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 11:16:40 AM »
Quote from: itix;706391
Current MorphOS 3.1 release has no support for IBook. And since your IBook is already badly injured it could be better get (cheap) replacement.

...which should of course preferably be a PowerBook of one of the two last generations (meaning PowerBook 5.6, 5.7, 5.8, or 5.9) since they are so much better than an iBook! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:33:17 PM »
Well, like the A600, the iBook 12" has one advantage over its more powerful cousins: it's tiny.

MorphOS support for that model iBook is said to be planned for release 3.2. There might be a way to boot the ISO file from OpenFirmware, but I'm not sure. Can Macs boot from external CD drives? If you do get it booted and are planning usage beyond the demo, I join the recommendations of getting a new machine. Alternatively, I wonder it replacing the internal power supply would help - that would be cheaper.

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 08:26:33 AM »
Quote from: 4pLaY;706385
They might not have heard of it anymore but a bunch of them touched one, considering how many of them were produced in the Philippines ;-).

I really haven't done much research, other than asking my local friends and my wife's officemates, all of which never heard of Amiga. Cloanto told me there are other Amigans here.
No, I\'m not a gamer.

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 08:29:08 AM »
Quote from: itix;706391

True on that one. I do have tentative plans on physically hacking my iBook, making it into an actual desktop. My laziness in reading the PPC datasheets is what's holding me back.
No, I\'m not a gamer.

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 08:32:23 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;706402
Well, like the A600, the iBook 12" has one advantage over its more powerful cousins: it's tiny.

MorphOS support for that model iBook is said to be planned for release 3.2. There might be a way to boot the ISO file from OpenFirmware, but I'm not sure. Can Macs boot from external CD drives? If you do get it booted and are planning usage beyond the demo, I join the recommendations of getting a new machine. Alternatively, I wonder it replacing the internal power supply would help - that would be cheaper.

I do have a firewire controller, which I know, the iBook can boot from a CD/DVD drive. My CD/DVD drives encountered deteriation over the years, but haven't thought about buying new drives since new hobbies popped up, including Android development.
No, I\'m not a gamer.

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 08:37:56 AM »
Maybe you should try AROS instead...

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 08:46:20 AM »
In regards to "not compatible" and "not supported" issues, those terms are usually meant for End Users, not geeks that like to experiment.

I'm the type that would force something to work. In the case of my iBook G4, when I start hardware-hacking it, I do have the tendancy of making necessary firmware patches, so it can be something that it's not. That's what traditionally is called, hardware emulation.

As for MorphOS, I haven't seen any documention about what happens when it is installed onto incompatible hardware, such as an iBook. I've seen the work being done with Lubuntu on the iBook and what modifications had to be done to make it operational, but I want to try MorphOS instead of Lubuntu.

Overall, I think the delays in MorphOS compatibility with iBook G4 hardware is due to closed source; to me, that means I can't run a debugger and ask questions from the developer.

Thanks for the input about MorphOS and the iBook G4... I don't have any immediate plans on modifying my iBook G4, but if MorphOS has a Beta for it, I would like to try it.
No, I\'m not a gamer.

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 08:47:40 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;706523
Maybe you should try AROS instead...

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it. I have to try AROS in emulation, first, so I can know what to expect. :-)
No, I\'m not a gamer.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 02:31:18 AM »
Quote from: Kuya Marc;706525
As for MorphOS, I haven't seen any documention about what happens when it is installed onto incompatible hardware, such as an iBook.

Believe me, we've tried. :) When trying to boot, it'll hang at the OpenFirmware prompt and not go any further. "Unsupported" in this case doesn't mean "it might work, but you're on your own", it means "it won't work".