Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alas, I come to complain about MorphOS  (Read 19161 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Alas, I come to complain about MorphOS
« Reply #74 from previous page: July 22, 2012, 03:54:14 AM »
What model do you got?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Yomgui

• Show only replies by Yomgui
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2012, 04:03:49 AM »
Here, on morphoszone and metamorphos forums I've seen some user asking some questions and requesting support about sound devices working on MorphOS.
As you know, my Helios stack can handle such devices, but as you expect just having possibility to communicate to a device is not enough to use it.
We need specialized driver like the sbp2.class I've done to control SBP2 (SCSI over FW).

By checking what linux guys have already done in term of market filtering on this subet (see http://www.ffado.org/), it seems that most of working sound related hardware use the AVC protocol.
I know how to handle this protocol (i've already created a simple code to control my AVC DC-cam), so it could be possible in a near futur to have an avc.class to drive these audio hardwares.

But (yes there is one) even if enough people are interested by that, I've not such hardware.. and I think never get (don't need that). And more other, I don't have enough skills in the audio domain to do everything myself.

So I'm searching for some people having:
- a machine with a registered MorphOS
- some FW sound hardware listed in the ffado supported list (see the upper link)...
because need to support AVC protocol (becareful, many devices uses proprietary protocol).
- can be available for realtime testing (I'm on IRC).

So, send me a PM if you are interested by.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:07:25 AM by Yomgui »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2012, 05:48:25 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;700954
While we are having a good whinge about MOS i thought i would add my own. When i start up MOS my monitor has to adjust itself which takes longer than it does to load up. This means by the time my monitor starts displaying properly the Ambient screen is already up. Which means i miss the splash screen completely. I know this is something trivial but it matters because it is cool as **** (the blue butterfly) and this is important when showing my friends MOS for the first time. Any ideas how to fix this problem?

okay, I must be having this too, as I didn't even know there /was/ a splash screen at all.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2012, 06:52:42 AM »
You mean there is something about Amiga's i know that someone else doesn't? Like, wow! Now I feel all funny inside. So this is what it feels like. Interesting...
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2012, 06:54:12 AM »
@XDelusion. My monitor is an LG 24 inch. Model: FLATRON E2441
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2012, 02:15:20 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;700971
@XDelusion. My monitor is an LG 24 inch. Model: FLATRON E2441

Mm, can't find a review.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2012, 04:40:32 AM »
Thank you fir offering your knowledge. I wish I was a programmer, but alas, I am other things. :)

Quote from: Yomgui;700964
Here, on morphoszone and metamorphos forums I've seen some user asking some questions and requesting support about sound devices working on MorphOS.
As you know, my Helios stack can handle such devices, but as you expect just having possibility to communicate to a device is not enough to use it.
We need specialized driver like the sbp2.class I've done to control SBP2 (SCSI over FW).

By checking what linux guys have already done in term of market filtering on this subet (see http://www.ffado.org/), it seems that most of working sound related hardware use the AVC protocol.
I know how to handle this protocol (i've already created a simple code to control my AVC DC-cam), so it could be possible in a near futur to have an avc.class to drive these audio hardwares.

But (yes there is one) even if enough people are interested by that, I've not such hardware.. and I think never get (don't need that). And more other, I don't have enough skills in the audio domain to do everything myself.

So I'm searching for some people having:
- a machine with a registered MorphOS
- some FW sound hardware listed in the ffado supported list (see the upper link)...
because need to support AVC protocol (becareful, many devices uses proprietary protocol).
- can be available for realtime testing (I'm on IRC).

So, send me a PM if you are interested by.

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2012, 07:56:36 AM »
@ XDelusion

I see you are getting a bit nervous. Of course it would be great if MorphOS had this and that feature. On the other hand I have some good news for you. It happens that except of being a DigiBooster 3 programmer, I'm also a member of MorphOS Team. Many potential users of DB3 told me of MIDI importance and I'm not deaf ;-). But then developing software in free time takes, well, the time... That is why I cannot promise you MIDI in DigiBooster 3.0. I have a choice of releasing program with some features missing, or release it, let's say a year later. What is better?

Said that I know that native camd.library is needed I also know that audio recording capabilities need a serious review. I've studied the API and source codes of camd.library and have some ideas how it should work and look like. I'm not a musican however, so any suggestions are welcome. Unfortunately I do not have much MIDI music gear, but I guess some basic one is enough for the start. I also have access to code and am able to fix issues with USB MIDI support.

As for recording, I have some variety of hardware, I can do testing on: built-in Efika AC97, built-in Pegasos 2 AC97, SoundBlaster Live!, built-in PowerBook codec. I have access to their drivers and are in contact with people, who wrote them. It is harder with USB audio recording, it has being said that it requires support of isochronous USB transfers in USB hardware driver(s) and it is beyond my knowledge and competence unfortunately, at least for now.

I do not want to make void promises, but my plans are serious. I guess, if we can switch from moaning to exchange of ideas, it will do only good :-).

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2012, 08:45:07 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;700930
Oh, look what OS 4 users get...

http://aminet.net/package/driver/other/usbmidi

I bet that has something to do with something. They even got a native port of the library. Sighh...

You don't need that port as Poseidon supports MIDI devices through camdusbmidi.class (or simplemidi.class)
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2012, 10:11:42 PM »
Quote from: Crumb;701033
You don't need that port as Poseidon supports MIDI devices through camdusbmidi.class (or simplemidi.class)

@Crumb, can you tell me know I can get this to work with HD-Rec.? I can not seem to get it to respond to it.

Also you can see a photo of how Trident is viewing my MIDI device here:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?wn87tsr2bwnn260#

@Krashan: Sweet, thank you so much for your response, this is wonderful to hear!!! A Digibooster Team member who is also a MorphOS team member! Now I have hope! :)

@Everyone

Discussion is also going on here:

http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8623&post_id=93756&order=0&viewmode=flat&pid=93751&forum=9#93756

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2012, 09:07:23 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;701062
@Crumb, can you tell me know I can get this to work with HD-Rec.? I can not seem to get it to respond to it.

Also you can see a photo of how Trident is viewing my MIDI device here:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?wn87tsr2bwnn260#

I'm afraid I don't know much about music software :-/ I can see there are 2 interfaces, one named "audio control" that hasn't any class binded so perhaps that controls the rest of your midi adaptor. I don't know if another midi adapter may give you better results. Perhaps you could ask Chris Hodges to know what midi equipment does he use.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2012, 01:00:13 PM »
@XDelusion
Hi. Honestly, the solution is just to get rid of the mac mini and get a desktop G4 powermac that works with MOS (is that's your preferred one...). Then you'll be able to use a good PCI sound card, much better than then cra**y built in line in anyway.. The Envy24 driver package supports a few semipro cards:)
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2012, 08:43:42 PM »
So set up a **** 1ghz or 2ghz pc with line in to record whatever you need. Transfer recordings via usb thumb drives, problem solved, but I agree with you...

Many amiga musicians want to move to morphos or aros or aos4. There should be easier solutions for something so simple as recording audio or creating samples...

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;719608
So set up a **** 1ghz or 2ghz pc with line in to record whatever you need. Transfer recordings via usb thumb drives, problem solved, but I agree with you...

Many amiga musicians want to move to morphos or aros or aos4. There should be easier solutions for something so simple as recording audio or creating samples...

That's similar to the way I get analogue audio data to my MorphOS machines, but I use a digital audio recorder (iRiver IHP-120, old but pretty brilliant sound) connected by usb (msd class) for that purpose. It's rather easy to do.
That said most MorphOS capable machines come with a line in connector (never used it though), the mini is special in that regard (once suported the ibooks will share that limitation).

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2012, 10:59:16 PM »
I wondered if Apple had done one of their special all-in-one ports.  Some Macs have analogue and optical audio in/out all in one port. They do this on the Intel iMacs but not the G4s :-/

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2012, 03:24:46 AM »
All this pain and suffering could have been side stepped if you bought a different Mac, X.
Both my Powermacs have Soundblaster Live cards installed out sound in is no problem.
Shesh.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"