Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gassee: Thank God Apple Didn't Buy Be  (Read 2727 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Gassee: Thank God Apple Didn't Buy Be
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 16, 2011, 01:25:09 AM »
I advise installing Alpha 3 and then immediately installing a nightly build over the top.  That way you get all the apps that come with the Alpha and all the recent bug fixes and improvements from the nightly.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 02:07:25 AM »
I just wanted to clarify, I'd hate to see someone try this out with false expectations never to return to it again. :)

Let us know about your experience! :)

Quote from: commodorejohn;668023
Right, but I figure I'll give it a shot at least to see what it's like, even if it's not something I'd be ready to move over to yet.

Hmm, I tried it on a Core 2 Duo box I nabbed from the recycle center, with an i945 board...the installer seemed happy enough with it, but I haven't tried anything with video acceleration, sound, or networking yet.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 04:46:37 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;667980
I can't wait for the 68k port of Haiku to be in a usable state.  It would make a great alternative OS for the NatAmi/FPGA Replay machines.

Doesn't Haiku require an MMU in the CPU?  NatAmi's N68050 won't have one.  I don't think the default softcore of the Replay board will either.

Offline SamuraiCrow

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 04:49:00 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;668023
Hmm, I tried it on a Core 2 Duo box I nabbed from the recycle center, with an i945 board...the installer seemed happy enough with it, but I haven't tried anything with video acceleration, sound, or networking yet.

Gallium3D hasn't been ported to Haiku yet.  There will be video acceleration someday, but it's not here yet.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 05:19:35 AM »
Ah, that's as I expected. Still, not a lot I need that for, and it seems to run quite snappily without it. Still haven't tried any audio stuff, but networking is up and running without any problems.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 05:21:53 AM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline nicholas

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 09:25:49 AM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;668034
Doesn't Haiku require an MMU in the CPU?  NatAmi's N68050 won't have one.  I don't think the default softcore of the Replay board will either.

Yes it needs an MMU. The 060 would provide this if they allow a real CPU to be used in place of the soft core, like Yaqube's board for the Replay.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:28:20 AM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline obscurepanic

• Show only replies by obscurepanic
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 03:05:23 PM »
Oh, BeOS. You're like a brainchild of experienced MacOS developers with a mixed heritage from UNIX, Windows, AmigaOS, and perhaps from old school Atari OSes. Your API is very practical and approachable. It's great that you have a second life as Haiku. Be well!

Offline SamuraiCrow

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 04:53:17 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;668049
Yes it needs an MMU. The 060 would provide this if they allow a real CPU to be used in place of the soft core, like Yaqube's board for the Replay.

Yes, the NatAmi allows a 68060 accelerator.  In fact, it is presently required on the current prototypes since the N68050 isn't finished yet.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 09:16:47 PM »
I do think BeOS is quite a lovely architecture (not sure how faithful Haiku is to BeOS deep down, but it appears to be close), and I used BeOS PE5 for about a year in 2000/2001... But we have to be honest, in 1996 NeXTStep was far far more mature than BeOS.

Maybe with the 5 years of development that OSX received between 1996 and 2001, BeOS might have been brought upto spec... But I think given the state of both operating systems, Apple made the right choice... The thing I'm most impressed about OSX/iOS and it's developer environment, is the maturity of the whole thing, it feels so solid and carefully thought out I've never felt so comfortable :-/

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 09:23:45 PM »
I like how OS X requires tons of resources for just basic operations. Very mature in my book! ;)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline nicholas

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;668116
I like how OS X requires tons of resources for just basic operations. Very mature in my book! ;)

There is only one reason I tolerate OSX these days and that is Logic Studio.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 09:55:07 PM »
I haven't used anything newer than 10.4, but while I don't think it's awful, I don't see what the selling point is. It's hardly anything like classic Mac OS, interface-wise, and only mostly compatible with old software (any Mac on which I cannot run Spin Doctor is a Mac not worth my time.) Technology-wise, if I want BSD with a vaguely Mac-like desktop environment, there are half a billion clones of it out there.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 10:20:01 PM »
Like I only tolerate Windows for advanced Doom editing and video production. :)

Quote from: nicholas;668117
There is only one reason I tolerate OSX these days and that is Logic Studio.