Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wordworth 7 freezes when loading my old documents  (Read 1280 times)

Description:

Offline paul1981Topic starter

Wordworth 7 freezes when loading my old documents
« on: January 18, 2020, 06:00:02 PM »
Recently, I have been repairing my old 260MB Seagate OS3.0 installation which is installed on a 10MB partition (DH0:). The rest of the drive is DH1: and contains my Wordworth 7 AFC Testdrive installation (Amiga Format edition from 1998). I used Wordworth from '98 - 2000 for my college assignments with an Epson Stylus Colo(u)r 600 printer.
To make a short story longer, in 2005 when getting back into the Amiga again (after a pretty short break let's be honest) I purchased an Apollo 1230 something or other at 40MHz to replace my simple FastRam expansion. I installed it, it booted up, I then got over excited and decided to see how fast Reorg could optimise my DH0:. The bloody thing crashed and I was left with my boot partition under half full (was almost before) and most of the files remaining were trashed anyway or referencing incorrect files etc. It was a right mess and I left it alone until now. The Apollo by the way was faulty and would only work with caches disabled as it turns out.

I imaged the drive a couple of weeks back and I've mostly fixed everything thanks to Disksalv which got me a substantial list of files enabling me to rebuild what was there originally via aminet downloads etc. This being done on WinUAE. I've hit a snag though with Wordworth 7. My documents all use my epson fonts which Wordworth must have downloaded into my SYS:Fonts drawer directly from the printer. I have copied the fonts from the trashed partition but I fear they are corrupted as Wordworth won't even start properly as it freezes on the Wordworth screen with no error. These particular fonts are referenced in the Wordworth prefs file. If I rename the prefs file to .old and remove the espon fonts from my FONTS: drawer then Wordworth actually loads, AND I can load my old documents, BUT I do get a font warning regarding missing epson fonts, thus font used is the wrong style, wrong size, and to be honest my documents look like trash now when I KNOW they should look perfect. Also, if I do the above but do not delete the epson fonts, then Wordworth loads but freezes when trying to load my documents (again points towards trashed epson fonts).

Please take a look at the attached image showing the aforementioned fonts.

Does anyone have these fonts on their Amiga? I suspect mine are trashed because Wordworth chokes on them. Any further help or ideas would be very welcome. I do want my documents to look as they should though. Thank you.

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: Wordworth 7 freezes when loading my old documents
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 06:05:28 PM »
My database says: Yes.

Just have to dig it out....

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 06:06:53 PM »
My database says: Yes.

Just have to dig it out....

Oh WOW! That was quick!! That would be brill if you could!!!  ;D

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 06:11:02 PM »
There you go, good luck!

The following users thanked this post: paul1981

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 10:30:22 PM »
There you go, good luck!

:D

You're my new best friend! Thank you so much! My documents are loading up fine now. Some of them have the graphics that I drew with the inbuilt draw tools placed above where they should be, but then again it may have been me who placed them there deliberately for some reason. I can't remember at all, but it seems a bit odd. Any clues?

Offline nbache

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 10:34:19 PM »
Have you tried printing it yet? Maybe you discovered back then that the print process moves them down, and you compensated for that?

Best regards,

Niels

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 08:03:12 PM »
Have you tried printing it yet? Maybe you discovered back then that the print process moves them down, and you compensated for that?

Best regards,

Niels

I gave it a try printing but didn't get far, got it to print without graphics. Anyway, I'm just happy that my old documents actually loading up so I'm gonna take this as a win situation regardless. Thanks for your input, and yes, perhaps I did move them for some reason.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:03:45 PM by paul1981 »