Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: is super street fighter 2 a good port?  (Read 8037 times)

Description:

Offline DamageXTopic starter

• Show only replies by DamageX
    • http://www.hyakushiki.net/
is super street fighter 2 a good port?
« on: June 03, 2006, 08:35:20 AM »
either the ECS or the AGA version? Or do they both suck like the port of the original SF2?

Offline amiga1260

• Show only replies by amiga1260
Re: is super street fighter 2 a good port?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 09:06:37 AM »
There are two versions of Super street fighter 2.

One version called Super street Fighter 2 Turbo from Gametek. This was available for A1200 and CD32. Don't get this version. This is the worst version of SF2 series.

The other version called Super Street fighter 2 -The new challengers. This was available for A1200 and A500. This version is better the the Gametek version.

Yes, it is better than SF2.

The A1200 version comes with installer. If you want to instaal the A500 version, look at http://www.whdload.de for the installer.

Offline Rebel-CD32

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 05:54:20 AM »
Super Street Fighter II Turbo was ported over to the Amiga from the PC. The graphics are the same as the PC and 3DO versions of the game, so the sprites are full colour, full size, and the backgrounds are lush and colourful with parallax floors. Unfortunately, because whoever ported it over to the Amiga hadn't a {bleep}ing clue how to code for the Amiga, it plays like {bleep}, even if you reduce the detail. It also has no speech in the game, just a generic thud sound for when you get hit. Looks beautiful if you pause it, makes you angry at the world to play it though. Also, only the CD32 version has music, which, being CD quality is prety good, but this version is considered the rarest CD32 game ever made.

On the other hand, you have Super Street Fighter II : The New Challengers for the A1200/A4000. It is the exact opposite of the Turbo version. The graphics are utter {bleep}, but it has all the speech samples, even though the music is slightly twiddly.

This version was ported over from the SNES of all things, although it would have made a lot more sense to port the Mega Drive version, using the same CPU and all it should have made the code easier to convert. Luckily for us though, the gameplay is perfect. It has options for a 2-button joystick/pad and a CD32 pad option, which gives you all three punch and kick levels, and the pause button.

The title screen and selection menu screens look nice, but the sprites are tiny, the colours are off, and the backgrounds look as though they were scanned from screenshots in a magazine at low resolution and dithered and shrunk or something. Fortunately you can switch the game from PAL to NTSC to make the graphics fill the screen a little bit more (as you can also do in the Turbo version). There is also no parallax or animation in the backgrounds.

The ECS version is just a cut down version of the AGA version. The gameplay is exactly the same, although it only has 1-button and 2-button options, and keyboard, but no CD32 pad option (even though the ECS version of Fightin' Spirit had this option, so it is possible to include support for it). Also, you will have to choose between sound effects and music. You can play the game with all the speech samples, but no music, or you can play it with the same music from the AGA version, but all the speech is gone, although it will still make hitting sounds. The graphics have a lot less colours than the AGA version, so it looks even worse.

Both versions of SSFII have WHDLoad installers. The AGA version's standard installer requires you to have a boot disk in the drive or it won't boot up. There was a CD32 version made and reviewed, but never released.

Then we have the old Street Fighter II : The World Warrior. Large sprites (although not quite arcade size), and nice backgrounds, although the colour palette used is a bit weird, and perhaps some dithering would have made the whole game look less flat. There was no parallax backgrounds or floors, although there is minimal animation in the background. The gameplay was slightly laggy, not as fast as it should and could have been, but it still played okay compared to what other Amiga fighting games were out at the time. There was a 2-button and keyboard option, although the controls are still a bit odd. Perhaps if the game went through a few more weeks of game testing and touching up, it would have been better than the console versions.

Overall, if you want to show your friends that the Amiga can play a nice looking version of Street Fighter, show them SSFII Turbo. If you want to play the game yourself and have some fun, play the AGA version of SSFII. And if you just want to play the best arcade style fighting game on the Amiga, get Fightin' Spirit. You can usually find brand new copies of the game still available in some Amiga shops and on eBay, since it came out towards the end and by that time there weren't enough people to buy it. It is a quality game, very similar to SNK's arcade fighters (Fatal Fury/King of Fighters).
Amiga user forever.

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 06:49:54 AM »
never been a SF fan myself but i always where a bit shocked at the SSF 2 and SSF2T games on the Amiga.. but yes as allready mentioned...the last one seemed to be all about GFX and not playbility but its the one i like the most because of the intro :-) and ofcourse that one of my friends coded it (before SSF2T he made REUNION for Amiga and pc).

Also.. the very first SF2 game that came on Amiga... typical port from consoles and arcades, we knew it months before it came that it would be crap but still it sold to gold... grrrrr.

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline jmbattle

• Show only replies by jmbattle
    • http://www.amigainabox.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 08:08:50 AM »
Good replies, I agree with the review of SSF2T - I spent a good few hours downloading the ten disks or so from a BBS back in the 33.6k days (memories), only to be disappointed with the gameplay and speed - even if the visual quality was very high (I believe the team responsible worked/are credited in some scene demos, but may be mistaken).

Fightin' Spirit was never a title I rated to be perfectly honest; far too many characters, poor game engine and general lack of polish.

The best Amiga beat'em-up to date is surely Capital Punishment - wonderfully impressive engine, smooth scrolling, excellent graphics and meaty audio and an unbelievable soundtrack.  It's a shame the CP engine couldn't be modified to accomodate sprites from other titles such as SSF2T - the fluidity of animation and feeling of 'connecting' is unsurpassed on the Amiga.

The early tech demos of this game were excellent too - I recall playing the AmigaComputing demo with a friend for hours, jostling with the tug-of-war energy bars! ;)

Happy days...

Cheers,
James
x

Offline Zener

• Show only replies by Zener
    • http://kung-foo.dhs.org/zener/
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 12:27:19 PM »
I have to mention the best fighting game for amiga is Shadow Fighter!!!

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 01:02:38 PM »
And Capital Punishment ofcourse has the advantage of having bobbing naked tits ;-).

Offline Gav

• Show only replies by Gav
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 01:06:19 PM »
I remember back in the day i really liked body blows although its so slow now.I think Elf Mania is still a pretty cool game on the amiga.
A1200,BPPC603e+@240mhz-060@50mhz/Scsi2 192mb,Powerflyer,Mediator SX,Voodoo 3000,SB128,Tv card,SD/FF,Ethernet,CDRW.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 02:41:51 PM »
One word.

Horrible
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 05:15:32 AM »
I was curious about it so I tried SSF2 AGA in winuae. The screen became corrupt during my first match but like you say, the gfx didn't live up to expectations.

In other news, I see that 1943 is an utterly terrible port. R-Type II becomes playable with the 030's cache enabled to speed things up (though with the side effect of making the sound weird).

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 01:19:55 PM »
ssf2 on amiga? pure crap

play the original arcade version using MAME
you can get the rom anywhere on emu sites

year 2006 and still there are lamers asking for bad amiga gamea ports or bad game ports like quake or doom or wipeout 2097

(Edited by Admin: Personal Attack)

//* Signature Free *//

Offline justinr12

• Show only replies by justinr12
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 01:02:36 AM »
Y'know, you might wanna think first before you make such insulting remarks.  A lot of us still hold onto our old consoles and computer systems as well because we still find a lot of the games for them to lack something many of the "games" today have: being fun to play.  yeah you might laugh at the fact I'd want to play Gauntlet IV on my Genesis (MegaDrive to those outside the US), or find an original copy of Gauntlet II for the Amiga and a 4-player adapter when I could be playing Halo 2 or whatever.. but frankly the old games I can still play while holding a great deal of interest.

It's not that a lot of us are "living in primates times" as you put it, it's that many game developers have become too fixated on money and are too bloody bull-headed to realize graphics and sound are not the "end-all-be-all" to games.  It has to be easy to learn how to play (even if the controls are sorta complex), and has to be FUN as well.

So don't go calling us "lamers" until you've learned what a REAL videogame is.
-End Rant-

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 04:10:16 AM »
@Rebel-CD32

Before I even begin to Comment............Did you say  ECS version of Fightin Spirit!???????????????

Where???????????

I have been searching for that.  Is this True????  have you actually played it?

as far as I know only the Intro and menu of the AGA version runs on an ECS AMiga.but the actual game doesnt......unless there genuinly is an ECS version????

Now to my Opinions of these games:

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo-- Best Looking Fighting Arcade port

Street FIghter 2 -- anything by USGOLD is a ripoff!

Super Street Fighter 2 - USGOLD realised what idiots they are and tried t make up for it with Playability, at the cost of gfx (SSF2T is proof they dont know what they are doing)

ElfMania -- Best gfx and Playability and technical trickery combined

Capital Punishment --- Smoothest and Most Amiga-ish and unique............unfortunately not much in it and too much trouble to run an only PAL

Fightin Spirit -- DEFINITELY the most complete Arcade Fightin game in all aspects made for the Amiga.

Shadow Fighter.....Very Nice attempt....unfortunately, these people should not have drawn the characters on an Amiga.......they look cheap and childish, kinda like puppets......Elfmania has similarly childish drawings

Ultimate Body Blows --- Best Backgrounds....unfortunately the characters were drawn on Deluxe Paint and look like crap.should have been first created on Cell, the way Anime's are, then take it from there.

If you had to have one for complete fun like the Consoles.......it would be Fightin Spirit..........Second in terms of fun would be Shadow Fighter

I wish Capital Punishment was executable without rebooting and was easy to get into.....as it is really impressive (but again.....puppet like drawings..just with more colors)
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 05:42:12 AM »
year 2006 and still there are lamers asking for bad amiga gamea ports or bad game ports like quake or doom or wipeout 2097

If I had known in the first place that it was bad, I wouldn't have asked about it. I own SF2CE for Genesis so I'll stick with that.

Everyone else, thanks for your reviews, I'll keep an eye out for some of these other games.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 07:50:20 AM »
The best Amiga beat'em-up to date is surely Capital Punishment - wonderfully impressive engine, smooth scrolling, excellent graphics and meaty audio and an unbelievable soundtrack. It's a shame the CP engine couldn't be modified to accomodate sprites from other titles such as SSF2T - the fluidity of animation and feeling of 'connecting' is unsurpassed on the Amiga.

Uhm, I tried to run the demo now to confirm what I am about to write here, but unfortunately I didn't get it to run.

Concerning the smoothness; I do not remember it as being smooth? Maybe it wasn't the scrolling that wasn't smooth (but I don't remember it as being perfect 50Hz scrolling) but... if it wasn't the scrolling it must have been the characters movement that wasn't perfect. Rather 25FPS instead of 50FPS. Which annoyed the hell out of me. But, since I can't get it to run at the moment I don't know if it was the scrolling, the characters movement or both.

If anything, bad scrolling and/or non 50Hz-perfect movement of characters must be what I consider making most Amiga games feel WAY older than they actually are (The Chaos Engine, for example, or... actually all the Bitmap Brothers games have what I consider 'bad' scrolling, not to mention the awful movement of enemies in Project-X, or the movement of monsters and obstacles in SuperFrog and so on...).
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.