Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The future of Amiga.org ...?  (Read 23576 times)

Description:

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
Re: The future of Amiga.org ...?
« Reply #104 from previous page: August 20, 2009, 05:44:14 PM »
@ Wayne,

Damn, I just found this thread.  I can't say I'm surprised because 15 years running something like Amiga.org and seeing more "downs" than "ups" has to take the fun out of it eventually.  I think you need a medal for hanging in there so long.

$10,000?  For a name like Amiga.org I'm sure someone, somewhere is willing to pay good money for it, even if vintage computers is the least of their interests so good luck with the sale.

I make irregular donations to the site, and anyone who purchases it to continue to run it as it is will receive the same financial support.

Cheers for all your efforts in maintaining an Amiga community through the dark times and I wish you well for the future.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2009, 05:49:57 PM »
Quote from: A1260;520196
@Wayne

dont worry the morphos lovers will jump on this and you will pay your debt in no time :)

wow..from your previous posts I could swear you are a Sam440 and OS4.1 supporter !
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline gazgod

• Show only replies by gazgod
    • http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2009, 06:04:51 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;520211
wow..from your previous posts I could swear you are a Sam440 and OS4.1 supporter !

From his previous posts I thought he was a tw@t :D

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2009, 06:07:12 PM »
Quote from: gazgod;520217

QFMFGDT!!! :lol:
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2009, 06:17:47 PM »
Quote from: gazgod;520217

:lol:

Also, cheers guys... Now if only I had a dollar for every post ;)

Offline mfletcher

• Show only replies by mfletcher
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2009, 06:27:04 PM »
Wayne,

Sorry to hear you're moving on. My 2 cents tho. I think in this current economy 10K is *way* too much to pay for a website. To put it in context, thats a down payment on a mortgage right there. Then theres the added cost of keeping the server up and running etc etc.

Rather than selling the site, why dont you just point the domain at the English Amiga Board, or AmigaWorld.net so that the traffic goes there... maybe transfer the domain to some other party that is keeping the flame alive (AmigaKit?, EAB? AmigaWorld?).

I dont think there would be any harm in setting up a "tip cup" where users can show their gratitude for your work over the years.

Worst case scenario would be for the domain to be hijacked to one of those search landing pages you see, or worse, someone like Doomy or Amiga Inc snapping it up.

Offline tone007

« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2009, 06:32:35 PM »
Quote from: mfletcher;520224
why dont you just point the domain at the English Amiga Board, or AmigaWorld.net so that the traffic goes there...

What a horrible idea, as this site is better than those, especially after the recent huge makeover.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2009, 06:40:57 PM »
Quote from: mfletcher;520224
Wayne,

Sorry to hear you're moving on. My 2 cents tho. I think in this current economy 10K is *way* too much to pay for a website. To put it in context, thats a down payment on a mortgage right there. Then theres the added cost of keeping the server up and running etc etc.

Rather than selling the site, why dont you just point the domain at the English Amiga Board, or AmigaWorld.net so that the traffic goes there... maybe transfer the domain to some other party that is keeping the flame alive (AmigaKit?, EAB? AmigaWorld?).

I dont think there would be any harm in setting up a "tip cup" where users can show their gratitude for your work over the years.

Worst case scenario would be for the domain to be hijacked to one of those search landing pages you see, or worse, someone like Doomy or Amiga Inc snapping it up.

Ok, you've missed the point. Wayne isn't closing Amiga.org down, he has simply put it up for sale. If someone buys it then they can either run it as it is or close it down or turn it into a social networking site or whatever... but until such time, everyone chill out! :)

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2009, 06:46:19 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;520211

you know about irony?.... :lol:

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »
Based on multiple requests, and agreeing that this thread is outliving it's useful purpose, I'm locking it.

I've stated my case, the reasons, the hows, and the why.  Short of that, if you'd like to discuss it, please feel free to do so to me directly via Private Message (PM).

Whether or not the site sells to a new owner is not really the deal here guys.  My biggest interest is in being able to move on, while assuring that the new captain will keep the ship upright and true.  Whether or not you feel I'm asking too much, or I'm wrong for doing so is truly irrelevant to the situation.

It is what it is.  I've ALWAYS had a price set on the site, and it's currently 1/2 of what it used to be before the community was splintered.  I would challenge any of you to point out where I've ever pretended to be anything more than a capitalist.

As for hosting, between the ads and the donations, the site's hosting is, and will continue to be paid for by you, the community with my heartfelt gratitude for the votes of confidence.  Hopefully this thread hasn't damaged your opinion of me so much that said trend will stop.  The site has ALWAYS been covered by it's members.  Nothing about that should hopefully ever change.

For the record, The site will not change for the foreseeable future.  We, or more meaningfully, I am not going anywhere or changing.  NEVER have I intended to suggest this site will be discontinued.  

Admittedly, I've bitten off a bit of troll bait enough to respond rashly to a few, but again, being told that your life's work is worthless is not a pill easily swallowed.

In truth, I'm trying to get my life back in order and on track.  This site has seen me through multiple jobs (including self-employment), a painful divorce and loss of a good friend, being screwed by BBRV, and more drama than I can recall.  

This site to me, is a reminder of younger, more impetuous times.  As such, I just feel like it's time to put it behind me.  At the same time however, I don't feel in any way that 15 years of work is worthless, so forgive me if I've nipped a bit at the less-than-helpful trolls on this one.

I look forward to your replies via PM or even e-mail.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2009, 10:26:31 PM »
Hi guys,

Over the past three days, I have been very overwhelmed with the support shown by our members regarding the potential sale of Amiga.org... I am literally humbled to know that there are some of you who will go to great lengths to preserve this great site for the future. It proves to me what an incredible community this always has been.

That being said, I'm very happy to informally announce I have received an offer from a person I trust with the future of this site. He, his partners, and I have come to a tentative agreement regarding the sale and subsequent transfer of Amiga.org.

Once we iron out all the particulars and a contract is signed, there will be a 3-month transition period to follow during which time absolutely nothing about the site itself should change.  

All of our current moderators will remain (should they choose to do so), only my successor will need to be chosen by the new owners, and I've made my recommendation to the purchaser as to who I personally think would be the best person for the job.

As I promised when this drama began, absolutely nothing about this site will change in the foreseeable future, save for one staff change. Both I, and the potential owners are in complete agreement on that core ideal.

Amiga.org has always, and will always exist to support the Amiga community as best as we possibly can and I will make absolutely sure that you are all kept in the loop as to any changes, as soon as they occur.

Even though I'm not going anywhere right now, I am honored by your remarkable support, and will always be grateful to each of you for the chance to provide Amiga.org to the community for all these years.
//* Signature Free *//