Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Understanding Amiga file-system.  (Read 1093 times)

Description:

Offline bslabbertsTopic starter

• Show only replies by bslabberts
Understanding Amiga file-system.
« on: June 17, 2003, 09:13:25 AM »
Hello Gents, I recently spent some $ in setting-up AmigaOS in WinUAE0822R7 (Kickstart 3.1, Workbench 3.1, I followed the procedure from the Jumbo website:

http://jambo.abime.net/howto.php?view=1

Needles to say all went well with setting-up as they explained. I had to purchase AlfredChicken Game to complete the setup, any ways all went well. Now I managed to download some free games and most of them work fine when I boot them fron FD0, FD1.. and so forth.

Later I learn't that You can obtain the WHDload installer from:

http://www.whdload.de/

Please forgive me I'm new to all this Amiga realm, Any ways I download the Installer *.lha file and used the command in AmigaDOS window as follow:

lha x programs:AlfredChicken.lha programs:

Which extracted the files for installation to the programs: directory ok. That mush I understand. Afterwards I closed the CLI windows and open program folder and Run the Installer Icon for AlfredChicken I followed the installer closely and pointed to the install disk1 and all was completed 100%.

I tried to follow the same procedure for other games and ran into various problems. Some of the Installers is for JST I download and installed this one to and MAN this is frustrating.

I can't seem to get anything right at the moment, so I taken a breather and thought that I must brush-up on getting to know the file-system firts before I go and install programs left-right  and centre. Where can I get sound information on installing programs & Games in which directory, Prefs>, system:, C:, As you's can see I new and need a bit of guidens.

Best Regards,
Amiga Junior.

:-(

Offline Desolator

• Show only replies by Desolator
Re: Understanding Amiga file-system.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 09:24:56 AM »
Well, You could always buy the AmigaOS 3.9 CD (yes, it's installable under WinUAE, and a great improvement to OS3.1) and read the manual that comes with it, or you could visit www.amigau.com and browse their site for information regarding the file system. :)
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline Emufreak

• Show only replies by Emufreak
Re: Understanding Amiga file-system.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 11:58:51 AM »
Here some hints abot the Amiga Filesystem who can be really usefull for installing Programms who have no installscript at all. A lot of software you can just copy somewhere in a directory on your Harddisk and it will work fine from there.  However sometimes you'll get an error like that or something simillar when you try to start the programm:

Please insert xy into any drive:

You now have to do this, to be able to use the programm:

write the following line in a cliwindow:
assign xy:

test it with the following command:
dir xy:

You should now get a list of all the files of the programm

Put this line in the file s:user-startup and the programm will most likely work after the next reboot.