Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple Watch, lol  (Read 6786 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Apple Watch, lol
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »
I'm shocked not a single comment yet from anyone asking to port OS4 or MorphOS or AROS to it.  :lol:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 07:34:38 PM »
Is someone still using a wrist watch? In 2015? Seriously?
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline DutchinUSA

• Show only replies by DutchinUSA
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 07:35:57 PM »
Please Mike? ... Can ya work on those ports please? :roflmao:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 07:39:20 PM »
Quote from: DutchinUSA;786138
Please Mike? ... Can ya work on those ports please? :roflmao:

Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Bugala

• Show only replies by Bugala
    • http://www.ugalabugala.net
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 08:32:15 PM »
Actually, one guy just showed me one of those smart watches (not apples, just some generic smart watch), and I warmed to them a little bit. Before I would have thought who cares, but when he introduced me that, I actually saw the point and started almost wanting one for myself. And the thing is, He never showed me how it shows the time. As far as i know, maybe it doesnt even show time. Traditional watch option of showing time was not the point for smart watches despite their name, but what excited the guy who showed me that, as well as me, was the other stuff in that smart watch.

This friend of mine had just got bit owerweighed and had started running. What this smart watch did, first of all, it did those simple things, like telling how many steps you took etc. that you can use other devices as well, but then it got bit better. It had GPS, so it was able to measure your speed, location etc. stuff (nothing here that cellphone couldnt yet), but then we got to the things that started to impress me in sense that hadnt came to my mind that could be so useful.

One of the things is, if you start running, it is very easy, especially at beginning to get this painful aching on your stomach, because you are running too hard. Well, this watch keeps checking your pulse among other things, and it warns you before that aching comes, this way you can run hard, without getting that stomach pain from overdoing it, since that watch warns you.

In addition, it also keeps checking your rhythm otherwise too, that if watch notices you are doing too easy, maybe resting for bit too long or something, based upon your pulse and stuff, it will tell you to speed up again, bit like a coach.

It also keeps telling if you are improving. That while you are running, and watch notices you just ran first kilometre much faster than before, it will congratulate you and tell you just broke your own record, and if you did it very slow, it will start to tell you to hurry up and run faster.

It also recognises the hands movement, being able to figure out what exactly you are doing. And it wasnt too easy to fool it. just putting hand up and down didnt make it think you were running, and similarly if you drive a car and car keeps bumping a bit, it doesnt think you are running.

When i saw this all and realised that is just a beginning. I wouldnt be amazed if those things would actually become quite popular at some point. Didnt feel like we were that far away from tricorders anymore.

edit: almost forgot to mention one great thing too. This friend of mine actually owns a computer store, and hence he keeps sitting in front of computers a lot. Well, one of the things this smart watch of his does is to tell him he have been sitting too long in front of his computer and he should get up for a moment.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:34:47 PM by Bugala »

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »
Quote from: itix;786137

Dating myself here, but this is one of the last watches I ever wore.  :lol:

On a serious note, I do know someone that supposedly has a "smart" watch. Haven't seen it on him personally, but am told he uses one because he can respond to texts more readily than he can if he were to rely solely on his smart phone. In the obnoxiously loud environment we work in, I can kinda/sorta see that. Especially for those of us that aren't glued to a phone or check incessantly.

That said, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be wearing such a fancy watch (or any watch) as we're often sticking our hands/arms down some extremely dangerous and sketchy places.   :laughing:

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 09:09:53 PM »
@bugala

Yeah but then it is not a watch at all. I bought one for my girlfriend because she is/was a runner.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline trekiej

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
Pacman watch, I want one. :(
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 09:31:36 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;786136
I'm shocked not a single comment yet from anyone asking to port OS4 or MorphOS or AROS to it.  :lol:

You would firstly have to replace all the capacitors, try another power supply, install SFS, and modify your Startup-Sequence.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 09:35:03 PM »
I'm waiting on a solar powered watch that doesn't require a battery replacement, sets itself automatically to the atomic clock in Ft. Collins, CO daily, and is water proof to 100 meters.

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 10:19:10 PM »
Quote from: itix;786137

http://xkcd.com/1420/

:)

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 10:29:17 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;786091
Thoughts on today's announcement: One of Apple's traditional strengths has been to take existing technologies and refine and integrate them into a very attractive package. See; iPod, iPhone, iPad.

I think this is what they're trying to do with their new watch. Problem is, as I see it, the smart-watch market isn't mature enough for Apple to have iterated something unique. I think they've come in as just another player alongside Android and Pebble instead of something new and disruptive (which seems to be a popular buzzword for technology companies these days).

That being said, I can see how this product would appeal to some users and I won't fault them for their interest.

But anyone who plunks down $10K-$17K for the gold version is a complete f*****g idiot. :)

Well one thing is for sure..the  iWatch will be hugely successful..that is a guarantee!! All other smart watches will strive to be "Apple" like.  Just like Samsung has done with their phones.  Every other smart watch maker will now have to step up their game, but I seriously doubt any company will EVER top Apple on any level.  They dont have the money nor the time.  Seems others were sleeping and banking on the fact that oh "Apple products are too expensive..yada..yada".. yet look who is on top..!!!

And your judgement on whom ever buys a gold version is just a bit harsh.  Who are you to judge someone with that amount of liquid cash to spend?  There are watches that go well beyond Apples asking price for their smart watch.  Those aren't smart watches and at the end of the day those high end watches just tell you the time of day some with multiple times zones, track elapsed time ete..etc..  No one really NEEDS to spend that kind of dough on a watch.  #itsastatusthing.  

Rich

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 11:14:10 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;786149
http://xkcd.com/1420/

:)

Yeah, I've given up on the concept of time; it is so passe' since Einstein publish his theory of relativity.  I mean Quantum Mechanics, That is where the past, present and future are going!  

Look at doctors; they have no need of "time pieces;" have you ever seen one show up on time for anything.  And if you are 50% of the population, piddling around with your makeup and hair fits No One's anal retentive schedule.  

Emerson, referring to being "on time" wrote, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."

So watches, especially those readily available on the wrist, have lost their significance; after Benito Mussolini made the trains run on time, they hung him.  That is what the world thinks of punctuality!

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 01:40:58 AM »
Quote from: Vlabguy1;786152
Well one thing is for sure..the  iWatch will be hugely successful..that is a guarantee!! All other smart watches will strive to be "Apple" like.  Just like Samsung has done with their phones.  Every other smart watch maker will now have to step up their game, but I seriously doubt any company will EVER top Apple on any level.  They dont have the money nor the time.  Seems others were sleeping and banking on the fact that oh "Apple products are too expensive..yada..yada".. yet look who is on top..!!!
I just don't know in this case. Apple cleaned up with previous iThings, but right now there doesn't seem to be much of a justification for smart-watches in general, and I don't see enough of a justification for picking an Apple watch over a competitor's. The previous iThings offered something clearly unique over the competition; I can't find that here. I'm sure it will sell well enough, but I don't know if it's going to get far beyond the usual crowd of Apple buyers.

And your judgement on whom ever buys a gold version is just a bit harsh.  Who are you to judge someone with that amount of liquid cash to spend?  There are watches that go well beyond Apples asking price for their smart watch.  Those aren't smart watches and at the end of the day those high end watches just tell you the time of day some with multiple times zones, track elapsed time ete..etc..  No one really NEEDS to spend that kind of dough on a watch.  #itsastatusthing.
There is a difference here, though: The only thing that sets apart the more-money-than-sense version and the version that we proletariat will have available to us is the color of the metal. While I do think someone spending $75K on any kind of watch is insane, they somehow strike me as less insane than someone buying a gold Apple watch because at least they don't have an otherwise 100% identical product available to them at a lower price point.

Ultimately, the market will decide. But I kinda hope the market tells the gold Apple watch to go jump off a bridge :)

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 06:37:55 AM »
Quote from: Duce;786127
The Pebble watches are not even comparable in functionality to even the older Android Wear watches, and dependent on which phone you have the Pebble linked to, it's a wildly different experience.

I am a supporter of Pebble in the past and present, but as an owner of both a Moto 360 and a Pebble Steel, the Pebble resembles a 1990's calculator watch in comparison to the functionality of the Moto 360.  It's not even close, and both devices are far from perfect.

Maybe for the old Pebble watches, but the Pebble Time and Pebble Time Steel are a step up. Android wear is terrible, and the Moto 360 is nothing special. If I had to choose an Android wear phone it would be one of the LG G Watch R with a real circle screen unlike the Moto and more battery time too.

But still prefer what the new Pebble Time is offering, everything I need and more. Colour screen and 7 days battery for the Time and 10 days for the Pebble Time Steel.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 11, 2015, 06:45:11 AM »
Also enjoying my Nokia Lumia 1320, bought mine and then a work mate bought the 1520. Both phones are amazing compared to what we've experienced with Android. Also getting 7 days battery life, thats with wifi, web surfing, bluetooth/GPS in the car and txting with a bit of gaming thrown in.

Currently playing Modern Combat 5: Blackout amazing :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub