Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiKit 1.6.0: The biggest update ever! Now available for Windows, Mac and Linux.  (Read 9580 times)

Description:

Offline AmiKitTopic starter

Re: AmiKit 1.6.0: The biggest update ever! Now available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 21, 2012, 01:40:12 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;676812
In the Swedish installer, the letter å isn't working, it displays some other strange character instead.

Jag är ledsen. Hmm, the installer should be unicode...

When the installer gets to the point where it says "installing more than 30,000 AmiKit files", the progress bar quickly reaches 100%, obviously before those 30,000 files are installed, because you have to wait quite some time at that point, giving the impression that the install process has stalled. IMHO a progress bar could be used in a better way.

Yep, there's a large 7z archive unpacking in background.
In the past I used to have more 7z archives (each one containing a separate drawer of AmiKit structure, like C.7z, Classes.7z, etc.). This way I could update the progress step by step, drawer by drawer. But the overall size of the AmiKit archive was much bigger.

I installed AmiKit on my E:\ partition, but WinUAE seems to be configured to load the ROM from C:\AmiKit\ROMs\ which in my case doesn't exist. The pre-configured HDD is also pointing at C:\AmiKit\AmiKit, which in my case doesn't exist.

Oops. Last night I added new WinUAE 2.4.0 Preview into the archive and forgot to set the relative paths.

Maybe I'm clueless, but it was impossible for me to install from either AmigaOS3.9 or Amiga Forever 2011. No matter what I did, it didn't find/recognize the volume. Only when I mounted the CD in WinUAE as a *HDD* it was found and the install process could go on.

Oops. Another stupid mistake. From now on I won't upload anything during nights anymore :)

And finally I got it working! :)

Thanks god :-)
I will re-upload fixed version, could you please test it for me? I will send you a PM. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:50:38 PM by AmiKit »

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Quote from: AmiKit;676820
Jag är ledsen.
:)

Hmm, the installer should be unicode...

The Swedish language uses three special letters; Åå, Äö and Öö, the two latter works just fine AFAICT...

Yep, there's a large 7z archive unpacking in background.
In the past I used to have more 7z archives (each one containing a separate drawer of AmiKit structure, like C.7z, Classes.7z, etc.). This way I could update the progress step by step, drawer by drawer. But the overall size of the AmiKit archive was much bigger.

Then this is probably the better way after all...

Oops. I forgot to set the relative paths in the revision I uploaded this night.

Oops. Another stupid mistake. From now on I won't upload anything during nights anymore :)

Thanks god :-)
I will re-upload fixed version, could you please test it for me? I will send you a PM. Thanks.

Sure! :)

Another thing, I seem to be having an issue with saving the prefs.

I found a web page discussing this issue (regarding WinUAE on Windows Vista and Windows 7), see the "Important" paragraph:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Amiga_3.html

I don't know if that's related to the ROM/HDD path issue I mentioned above? Maybe so? Maybe the configuration files should be saved in the user's personal folder path instead?

I have close to zero experience with UAE myself, so please forgive my ignorance...

MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Quote from: takemehomegrandma;676817
Speaking of NetSurf (it was the first time I have come in contact with this program) - It's more than obvious that NetSurf isn't integrated to use the Amiga native GUI, which is one of the major shortcomings and probably a big reason to why it's so difficult to use (beyond it's limited feature set), but I must ask the question (look at the attached picture): Is this normal? Is there a setting to avoid this?

It's a bit difficult with NetSurf. You have to set the window size in a file (AmiKit:Internet/NetSurf/Resources/Choices).

Quote from: takemehomegrandma;676819
Is there a plan to make use of Grunch in the future? That would be a great! :)
AmiKit already has its own live update system.

Quote from: takemehomegrandma;676823
Another thing, I seem to be having an issue with saving the prefs.
What issue exactly? To save the WinUAE configuration settings, simply switch to Configurations section, mark the "AmiKit" entry and hit the Save button.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:04:38 PM by AmiKit »

Quote from: AmiKit;676829
What issue exactly? To save the WinUAE configuration settings, simply switch to Configurations section, mark the "AmiKit" entry and hit the Save button.

Of course, that's what I do, tried it many times. But after a restart, it turns out that nothing was really saved.

Strange...

Offline zipper

Check if it has been saved as Default.

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
I had to install some Microsoft Visual something-or-other in order to get Amikit to work, even when I used the supposedly fixed installer.
Other than that it's been a real treat.

Quote from: kedawa;676887
I had to install some Microsoft Visual something-or-other in order to get Amikit to work, even when I used the supposedly fixed installer.
Other than that it's been a real treat.

Thanks for the feedback. The installer is fixed for real now :-)

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
Hi,

@amigadave,

"Do you have any suggestions on how to speed up the performance on G4 Mac computers? I know that E-UAE is lagging behind WinUAE and has no JIT to speed it up. But I was not thinking that E-UAE on a 1.67GHz G4 would be slower when using AmiKit than bog standard AmigaOS3.1 when running WinUAE on a 500MHz Celeron laptop."

Take G4 Mac computer, down to river, now I will be nice and say gently lower in the river and let go. There it is now sped up. It probably will sink faster then it floats, but then again since you pay for all the excess fat on a G4, it just might float because in all reality Sh#t floats.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
Quote from: AmiKit;676986
Cool.  I'll have to grab the updated installer just in case I do a re-install at some point.

That's assuming there won't be 1.6.1 etc. installers, and point updates will just be automatic updates to 1.6.0.
Is that correct?

Quote from: kedawa;677008
Cool.  I'll have to grab the updated installer just in case I do a re-install at some point.

That's assuming there won't be 1.6.1 etc. installers, and point updates will just be automatic updates to 1.6.0.
Is that correct?

Exactly. It's just a minor bugfix of Windows version of installer. Since no Amiga files were modified inside, increasing version number to 1.6.1 would be confusing compared to Linux and Mac 1.6.0 archives.

Quote from: AmiKit;676986

I've tried the fixed version and can confirm that the ROM-path and HDD-path is now correctly set from the installer, and the CD-ROM recognition works.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Got my card in the mail yesterday...

Pretty handy I must say! I believe I'm going to keep it in my wallet to bring over and share with friends. :)

So who's the chick holding the card in that photo above?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Quote from: XDelusion;678001
Got my card in the mail yesterday...

Pretty handy I must say! I believe I'm going to keep it in my wallet to bring over and share with friends. :)

Quote from: XDelusion;678001

So who's the chick holding the card in that photo above?

can't say ;)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Quote from: AmiKit;678146

can't say ;)

Aghhh, but we MUST meet, it's our destiny!!!!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs