Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would this be any good for WinUAE?  (Read 4456 times)

Description:

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
Re: Would this be any good for WinUAE?
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 21, 2005, 02:40:56 AM »
No no no... Ugh... Why would anyone use software to do what you can do with a simple text editor (ie: EDIT.COM) on the fly? Just create two shell= lines in win.ini and comment one of them out.

shell=x:\path\winuae\winuae.exe
;shell=c:\windows\explorer.exe

easy money.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline ShadesOfGrey

• Show only replies by ShadesOfGrey
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2005, 09:26:22 PM »

Trooper wrote:
Ok!, I`m being really picky i know, But it was "LoadWB" that "loaded Workbench", Not "starwb". :-D

Trooper

Oops!  :-o  My bad.  I was sure it was "startwb", but not having WinUAE installed ATM, I couldn't double check.  
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

Offline ShadesOfGrey

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2005, 09:46:47 PM »

blobrana wrote:

Hum,
No.
Your pickable shell idea sounds, er, sound...

Oh, OK.  I misunderstood then.

[color=ff00ff]< off topic >[/color]
But, on a slightly different note, given that HD space is fairly cheep, there is no reason not to have a fallback OS installed...infact, on my classic Amiga i have a 10mb partition set aside for a unmodified workbench, when i do something stupid with the main DHO:

I’m running xp pro (sp2), and even with it’s restore recovery features i still have a second OS to fall back on...i have learned, after losing too much data and time in the past, to take precautions... :-)
[color=ff00ff]< /off topic >[/color]

I thought it a bit strange to have multiple 'production' installs of Windows just so you could have more than one shell is all...  Which is what I originally thought you were suggesting until you corrected me.

Personally, I have very much the same setup on almost all my computers.  Even my retired Apple IIgs has a "fallback" OS parition...  I just wish I could use my A4000D again, but until I get a replacement motherboard (cheap mind you!), the fallback partition is moot.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

Offline ShadesOfGrey

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2005, 10:34:54 PM »

Dr_Righteous wrote:
No no no... Ugh... Why would anyone use software to do what you can do with a simple text editor (ie: EDIT.COM) on the fly? Just create two shell= lines in win.ini and comment one of them out.

shell=x:\path\winuae\winuae.exe
;shell=c:\windows\explorer.exe

easy money.

Uhhhmmm, convenience perhaps?  I know that when I was playing around with alternative shells I really hated having to modify either my system.ini (in the case of 98SE) or registry (when I switched to NT4 and then 2k) eveytime I wanted to make a switch.  Once I settled on LiteStep after a solid two months of continous use, I made the changes to my registry 'permanent' and got rid of the shell manager.

I don't want to turn this into a flame war, but I really don't appreciate being criticized for being helpful.  Besides, I did mention modifying the "shell" line in the system.ini for Win9x user in my original post.  I also edited my original message to reference an online guide that takes advantage of the true multi-user environemnt of winNT4+.

In fact you might want to re-read the last sentence in the first paragraph and the second paragraph of my original post.  I imply that if someone plans on using an alternative shell, on an almost exclusive basis, that making the changes to the system.ini (or the registry, which I probably should have explicitly mentioned) 'permanent' may be more convenient.

Offline AmigaEdTopic starter

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 03:47:41 AM »
@ShadesOfGrey

Thanks for all of the great info and links. As soon as I started reading your post, how to shell out to WinUAE made sense to me. I'll have to play around with this some and see if shelling out to WinUAE will work for me. I can see a few drawbacks to doing this, but I can also see some advantages, not the least of which is that it may make the whole setup seem more like a real Amiga.

AmigaEd
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - Prístino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline ShadesOfGrey

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 01:39:09 AM »

AmigaEd wrote:
@ShadesOfGrey

Thanks for all of the great info and links. As soon as I started reading your post, how to shell out to WinUAE made sense to me. I'll have to play around with this some and see if shelling out to WinUAE will work for me. I can see a few drawbacks to doing this, but I can also see some advantages, not the least of which is that it may make the whole setup seem more like a real Amiga.

AmigaEd

Your most certainly welcome.  If you should need assistance, you can PM me and I'll do what I can to help.  In fact, this thread has inspired me to revisit alternative Windows shells.  First up, WinUAE ala AmigaForever.

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 03:52:11 AM »

ShadesOfGrey wrote:
I don't want to turn this into a flame war, but I really don't appreciate being criticized for being helpful.  

It wasn't my intent to criticize your suggestion per se... More like the writing of said software in the first place.

It just annoys me when people write programs that do little but suck up memory / resources to accomplish a simple task. Especially true when the "goal" here is a clean environment for running WinUAE. Even a custom boot menu in the autoexec.bat would work better.

That said, I had not taken into account using NT4/5. I can understand the use of a shell switcher in that case.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline AmigaEdTopic starter

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2005, 05:42:51 AM »
Just wanted to follow up on this thread...

I did get the system as described at the start of this thread. So far it seems to work quite well running WinUAE with AmigaSYS 1.7, AF6 and soon I'll try AIAB.

Still get an occasional glitch in the sound but not too often. Mostly seems to occur only when running some complicated graphics at the same time as complex audio.

I'm much happier now!

Later,
AmigaEd

:lol:
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - Prístino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline smartrod

• Show only replies by smartrod
    • http://www.theroadster.net/trc
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 03:51:44 PM »

ShadesOfGrey wrote:

If you're going to be using win2k/XP this guide explains how to set a seperate shell for each user.  You can also find links to two other shell managers (Carapace & Snafkin) in the opening paragraph.

The link is dead, does anyone know what it said or where it is? Would be really good for me as I can have one "user" with XP and another with WinUAE :-)

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 06:25:28 PM »
This page has a guide:
LINK
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline ShadesOfGrey

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 08:03:30 PM »

smartrod wrote:

ShadesOfGrey wrote:

If you're going to be using win2k/XP this guide explains how to set a seperate shell for each user.  You can also find links to two other shell managers (Carapace & Snafkin) in the opening paragraph.

The link is dead, does anyone know what it said or where it is? Would be really good for me as I can have one "user" with XP and another with WinUAE :-)

The link in question was moved here.

I suppose it's a better bet to just go to GeoShell's Home and poke around the Documents page.  You might find other useful info in the process.

Offline ShadesOfGrey

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 08:11:32 PM »

whabang wrote:
This page has a guide:
LINK

I'll have to add that link to my bookmarks...  I stopped visiting shell-shocked when issue #10 never materialized and hence forgot about their tutorial section.

Offline smartrod

• Show only replies by smartrod
    • http://www.theroadster.net/trc
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 01:39:03 PM »
Thanks all! :-)

Did have a look around, but wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for ;-)