Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 7 - Make LCD picture turn into CRT style for old movies showings  (Read 6920 times)

Description:

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
Re: Windows 7 - Make LCD picture turn into CRT style for old movies showings
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 20, 2011, 01:48:11 PM »
Windows is not usable on a CRT because 1024x768 looks terrible AND Windows is unusable with less than that resolution.

CRTs have round pixels and scanlines, LCDs have neither of those attributes so you need at least 1280x1024 LCD to get decent scanline effect anyway.

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
Quote from: Florida;632564
If I mount a CRT on the wall I will not be able to open the door to the room. :eek: Next month I am going to order this gadget.  How do you hook up sound when using a VGA on a flat screen TV?

VGA has nothing to do with audio: it's just analog video input (R, G, B and horizontal and vertical sync signals).

Audio goes from your 3,5mm jack in your PC (green connector) directly to the audio input of TV/monitor, much probably on RCA input (those white and red connectors): it's just a matter of buying/building a simple cable.

BY!

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;632590
Windows is not usable on a CRT because 1024x768 looks terrible AND Windows is unusable with less than that resolution.

1024x768 looks fine on a CRT, and any resolution that's not native on an LCD will look better on a CRT. I'm not really sure what you're getting at here... I agree, you don't wanna go less than that, but my CRT here is quite happily displaying a crisp, bright, contrastful Windows desktop at 1600x1200. My CRT at home performs similarly with Windows, Linux, And AmigaOS 3.9 and 4.1 - all at 1600x1200.

CRTs have round pixels and scanlines, LCDs have neither of those attributes so you need at least 1280x1024 LCD to get decent scanline effect anyway.

Indeed, to emulate the scanlines you need a high vertical resolution - at least twice that of the image you want to display.
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
Off-topic:
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;632590
Windows XP looks fine on my 17 inch CRT and is perfectly usable at 1024x768 (which is what I use), so this is clearly subjective. Also, my CRT can display up to 1600x1200 (which is ridiculous for a 17 inch monitor).

And no, I'm not a CRT freak. CRTs offer certain functions that flat panels don't offer yet (sadly). I use mine in a dual view setup with a full HD panel, and a KVM switch so I can use the CRT for my A1200 using a VGA adapter (672x562 94 hertz interlaced).

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
Quote from: Thorham;632613
Off-topic:
Windows XP looks fine on my 17 inch CRT and is perfectly usable at 1024x768 (which is what I use), so this is clearly subjective. Also, my CRT can display up to 1600x1200 (which is ridiculous for a 17 inch monitor).

And no, I'm not a CRT freak. CRTs offer certain functions that flat panels don't offer yet (sadly). I use mine in a dual view setup with a full HD panel, and a KVM switch so I can use the CRT for my A1200 using a VGA adapter (672x562 94 hertz interlaced).

SD definition TVs via S-video output is probably what they meant.

The best CRT monitor in the world is SONY's 24" widescreen CRT which does greater than 1920x1200. Extremely rare and expensive, about £700 ore than 22" SONY LCD. My dream monitor though.

Also Amige PAL display relies on 4:3, PC monitors are 5:4 aspect ratio pixels. Hence HD is 1080p and PC is 1920x1200. PITA

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
Quote from: Digiman;632622
SD definition TVs via S-video output is probably what they meant.
Perhaps, in which case I bang my head :)
Quote from: Digiman;632622
Also Amige PAL display relies on 4:3, PC monitors are 5:4 aspect ratio pixels. Hence HD is 1080p and PC is 1920x1200. PITA
Really? Perhaps that's why I get side bars (but not top and bottom) on my VGA CRT when using my A1200. As for HD, my Geforce FX 5500 does 1920x1080 properly, thank goodness (I hate flat panel scaling).

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
Oops, if he's talking about any computer using an SD TV as a monitor via S-Video then yeah, it's gonna be crummy! And not limited to Windows or CRTs either!
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline FloridaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Florida
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 01:28:22 AM »
Someone told me about the RainMeter software. I checked it out, made a scanline bitmap picture and used that as a background drop and changed the shade to 10%.  I am so freakin' happy, it creates the effect I was looking for.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 06:00:21 PM »
Just parse the damn file through an Adobe Aftereffects filter and have done with it.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »
My iPad screen looks like a CRT after it's smudged up with finger prints.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.