Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PeeCee Gamers ha! What a funny bunch eh. lol!  (Read 4490 times)

Description:

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
Re: PeeCee Gamers ha! What a funny bunch eh. lol!
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 27, 2003, 10:45:51 PM »
But how large is the resolution?

Not very big, it couldnt handle it at decent frames rates, but it was running on a 68k Amiga under AGA, something that was touted as impossible not long before and a great achievement since the Amiga was not designed to handle these types of games, but hey..that was what programmers done best on Amiga, pushing every single last drop of power out of it. Nows it all mhz mhz mhz, yes i know, i've heard why bother since x86 h/w is so cheap etc etc.

I dare say if they optimized half of todays games, the h/w requirements for the games would be much lower..so in that respert i wouldnt be suprised to see some fine Games running at fantastic speeds on the new Amiga OS with alot less system requirements than the windows versions.

We may be getting well below 1 GHZ CPU'S and not the very top of the range gfx card 3d support straight of the bat but this will be under Amiga OS, not the overhead that is windows, in that respect we could run anything that is out there today and Faast!. if only it can get the support.

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2003, 11:05:33 PM »
DOOM on a 486? why yes, thats bad graphic's especially zoomed in. Sadly that is not really because of DOS (it isn't a windows game really, if I recall correctly) . Another game was released about the same time by Citadel (Games Workshop) which was DOOM like but it had very much improved graphics, and I have heard the AI is supposed to be smarter too. DOS doesn't have bad overhead, but yes windows definitely does. :D My school uses an Amiga 2000 (2500?) to do the scrolling text on its local TV channel, with Video Toaster.  which goes to show how far ahead the Amiga was, the channel doesn't look dated at all.  though since I sometimes saw a mouse icon I had always thought it was windows NT or something, like most school computers. X86 stuff isn't so bad as really windows bloatware is. Although X86 is getting up in the limits (2ghz Pentium Zeons in the best school computers, look like they're on life support.) . I was doing my homework in the library today, then I look over and I'm like WTF?!?! theres two Amigas sitting there, a 2000 and 2500. they were out of the production room for the moment, had never seem them before so I went and asked the TV production teacher if he still used them.
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2003, 11:07:56 PM »
There are a lot of things that do this.. it's amazing. One of the edit systems I use at work (when I can't get on the Avid) runs on WinNT (one day they will fess up and reveal that this in fact stands for 'nearly there').

What version of WinNT?

I think the strength of the Amiga is not just pre-emptive multi tasking at the OS level -- it was doing it at the hardware level,

With OS shared memory architecture, AmigaOS's main strength was its task switching speed.

An Amiga with just chipram;  i.e. this bus has to be shared with customs co-processors chips and CPU.

This should sound familiar to the modern PC.

In a modern PC, bandwidth has to shared with the following co-processors
1. GPU (a.k.a VPU),  
2. APU (a.k.a DSP),
3. SPP, (nForce’s case) nForce 2’s SPP (Northbridge chip)  is short for "Signal Platform Processor".

Thus the case for 128bit wide bus (via dual RAM channel controllers).

Of course one could plug-in dumb video and sound cards on a modern PC.    

PS; An Amiga with Fast RAM and Chip RAM is effectively has dual RAM controllers (minus the “cross-bar” technology).
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2003, 11:33:34 PM »

DOOM on a 486? why yes, thats bad graphic's especially zoomed in. Sadly that is not really because of DOS (it isn't a windows game really, if I recall correctly).

Both DOS and WinDOOM exist btw...

My school uses an Amiga 2000 (2500?) to do the scrolling text on its local TV channel, with Video Toaster. which goes to show how far ahead the Amiga was.

Note that the Video Toaster's does have it's own video processor...

Video Toaster's is not just a dumb add-on card...

Although X86 is getting up in the limits (2ghz Pentium Zeons in the best school computers, look like they're on life support.)

To go beyond (Northwood core) 3.06/3.2Ghz, the Pentium 4 will just get yet another core upgrade.
1. Prescott
2. Nocona

Refer to http://www.chip-architect.com/news/2003_03_26_Prescott_clues_for_Yamhill.html

Prescott core was stated to have 1Mb L2 cache, which is practically Pentium 4 Xeon in regards L2 cache size.

I would say "X86 is getting up in the limits" is somewhat false .

For "Slimming down Microsoft Windows ObeseWare(TM)" projects;
Refer to http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8470

The problem (or strength i.e. depending on how you look at it) with X86’s CPU manufactures they seem to skip around the claimed limitations by issuing new cores.

Offline KingTuttTopic starter

• Show only replies by KingTutt
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2003, 11:46:49 PM »
I see alot of people more recently complaining about the prices of the high end AmigaOne XE's. I'd just like to say that I payed about $700AUD for the Amiga 500 back in 1990 (for a then revolutionary system). Fast forward to 1996 and I was paying $3000AUD for a supposed superior system (Pentiium 100). Mind you I did mention in an earlier post that It felt more like a downgrade for a very looong time. Windows 95 was hardly as groundbreaking as it was hyped up to be.

You might say I got swept up into the whole commotion of Win95 being the be all and end all of OSes. Man! wasn't I duped or what! together with a few million other people at the time.

So I guess what I am saying is that I have no qualms about paying top dollar for something which will be undoubtly superior to windows 95. And since I payed through the nose for a POS x86 back in 96, I could do worse than going back to my system of choice(Amiga) in 2003 (yeah.. like upgrading to windows Longhorn+spyware and a souped up P4 reconditioned typewriter that still can't multi-task without a lag, even if you packed in 4gb DDR ram). That is all.

PS: I heard that m$ marketed win95 so well, that on its release many people ended up buying a copy win95 despite not owning a computer.. some even 2 copies for no reason at all!!! L M A O! Talk about effective marketing techniques... I think it was around this time that bgates knew he was onto something good.
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline Siggy

• Show only replies by Siggy
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2003, 12:03:59 AM »
What version of WinNT?

Be more than happy to get back to you with that - I've sent an Email off to our IT staff for relevant details.
(This is a machine at my work - they'd know what's been done to it and what hasn't far better than I)

An Amiga with just chipram; i.e. this bus has to be shared with customs co-processors chips and CPU.

This should sound familiar to the modern PC.

Which was my point - That it was ahead of it's time.

- Note in my post I spoke of what the Amigas strengths were... I don't recall saying 'unlike modern PC's' in that post.

The only point I made on the PC side of things is that the clock stops when I'm digitizing video -- something that shouldn't happen be it an OS problem or a programming problem.
(I don't have this problem on my home system -- which is a PC that I built for the purpose - running XP -- Although I don't use the same editing software at home).

Siggy.

The TV business is uglier than most things.
 It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the Journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs,

Offline Hammer

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2003, 12:12:11 AM »

KingTutt wrote:
I see alot of people more recently complaining about the prices of the high end AmigaOne XE's. I'd just like to say that I payed about $700AUD for the Amiga 500 back in 1990 (for a then revolutionary system). Fast forward to 1996 and I was paying $3000AUD for a supposed superior system (Pentiium 100).

I’ll just say that you got ripped off… I only paid Pentium Classic 150Mhz white box system for around $1000 AUD in around the same time period as you.  

Mind you I did mention in an earlier post that It felt more like a downgrade for a very looong time. Windows 95 was hardly as groundbreaking as it was hyped up to be.

In business (i.e. office type environment), legacy support is important. In another words, X86 PC main strength has funded its weakness.

OS/2 Warp has support for Win16/DOS legacy**, but people was not interested with non-official upgrade path.

**There are major issues when running Win16/DOS legacy within OS/2 at that time. I’ll leave that for another time.

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2003, 12:27:12 AM »

Hammer wrote:

KingTutt wrote:
I see alot of people more recently complaining about the prices of the high end AmigaOne XE's. I'd just like to say that I payed about $700AUD for the Amiga 500 back in 1990 (for a then revolutionary system). Fast forward to 1996 and I was paying $3000AUD for a supposed superior system (Pentiium 100).

I’ll just say that you got ripped off… I only paid Pentium Classic 150Mhz white box system for around $1000 AUD in around the same time period as you.  

I highly doubt you we are referring to the same period (Jan 96) mate. At the time the highest specced Pentium was a 133Mhz, and they were way more expensive. 150Mhz was a few months away. So I was hardly ripped off. I didn't buy from a retail giant like Grace Bros or Harvey Norman, if you know what I mean. However I did buy the Amiga from Kmart (so maybe i was ripped off then - mind you I would gladly of payed any premium price if I was to do that again) Remember that this was a time when the difference between 8mb and 16mb was a few hundred dollars. BTW I chose to go with 16mb EDO RAM at the time. My bad?

Otherwise it was a very sound purchase... I still get the cheapest PC prices from that same guy today. Just upgraded a whole system from there for under $400AUD for a mate of mine!
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline levelLORD

• Show only replies by levelLORD
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2003, 12:29:38 AM »
@ Hammer

Hi,

Last good RTS game that I was playing was Dune II on Amiga. ;) Two days ago I purchased CC: Generals and nothing, I finished game after 10 hours of playing, 3 campaigns, 7 missions each... That is not a good game, at least for me. ;) It's a particle effects show time and nothing else. Like I said, only good RTS is Dune II, and it was ways better on Amiga than PC version. Also, there is only a few good strategy games for windows platform and that is Total Annihilation, Civ2 and Dungeon Keeper, no more, no less. Too bad that now a days trend is D3D (or OpenGL) strategy games, which is very uncomfortable way to see things across the screen and camera movement is usualy useless. And something about 1600x1200 in OpenGL. There is no difference about gameplay if you are able to play games in 1024x768, 1600x1200, or 800x600. That doesn't makes you a better player, right? :))) I'm able to play lets say Q3 in 1600 but I'm not, I want to have all that FPS and make some more frags, that only counts, so I'm usually playing at 1024. And to just say something at the end... Right now, I'm playing UFO: Enemy Unknown (again) and there is no fun in new windows platorm games like in old ones on Amiga. That's only matters, no awesome gfx, no cool 3d hw sound, only gameplay, at least for me.

Regards

levelLORD

Offline Hammer

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2003, 12:35:19 AM »

Be more than happy to get back to you with that - I've sent an Email off to our IT staff for relevant details.

You could press Windows key + Pause button (at same time) for obtaining WinNT's release version...

The only point I made on the PC side of things is that the clock stops when I'm digitizing video -- something that shouldn't happen be it an OS problem or a programming problem.

I recall, NT drivers is at kernel level, thus a badly written driver may play havoc with user level programs (like your clock applet).  

Offline Hammer

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2003, 01:00:50 AM »
I highly doubt you we are referring to the same period (Jan 96) mate. At the time the highest specced Pentium was a 133Mhz, and they were way more expensive. 150Mhz was a few months away

Around March 1994 was release date for Intel Pentium @100mhz.

Around March 1995 was release date for Pentium Classic @ 120Mhz.

Around January 1996 was release date for Pentium Class @150Mhz.

Refer to http://www.redhill.net.au/c-4.html

Depending where you purchased your PC, the final price for your PC may be different to mine.

Just upgraded a whole system from there for under $400AUD for a mate of mine!

Depending on the spec btw. What was the spec?

Offline Hammer

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2003, 01:16:44 AM »

levelLORD wrote:
@ Hammer

Hi,

Last good RTS game that I was playing was Dune II on Amiga. ;)

Mine would be Starcraft due to the story plot. Warcraft III comes close due added RPG elements.

Two days ago I purchased CC: Generals and nothing, I finished game after 10 hours of playing, 3 campaigns, 7 missions each... That is not a good game, at least for me. ;)

What about multi-player?

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2003, 01:32:36 AM »

Hammer wrote:

levelLORD wrote:
@ Hammer

Hi,

Last good RTS game that I was playing was Dune II on Amiga. ;)

Mine would be Starcraft due to the story plot. Warcraft III comes close due added RPG elements.

Two days ago I purchased CC: Generals and nothing, I finished game after 10 hours of playing, 3 campaigns, 7 missions each... That is not a good game, at least for me. ;)

What about multi-player?

I don't want to sound biased or anything. But I have to agree with levelLORD. Altho Starcraft was the best PC offering to the genre, if thats saying anything.

Hammer, believe me you don't want to waste your time with C&C Generals, its a one day wonder at best. Pretty particle systems, nice little vertex/pixel shading effects etc. If you must have nice and pretty, try Hegemonia (Nov 2002), its a Space RTS, but at least its playable, and at least you can marvel at the zoom ins of the wonderfully 3d rendered planets and advanced pixel shaded explosion... oh and those ring worlds... oh those immaculately rendered ringworlds! Did I mention the explosions?

Offline levelLORD

• Show only replies by levelLORD
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2003, 01:34:42 AM »
Starcraft was fine, much more fun in multiplayer then in campaigns, but WC3 was a real disappoint, except beautiful movies, but sloppy camera... Characters are fat, horses even more :))) I finished the game, but at the end I wanted to be over as soon as possible. The same feeling with the CC Generals. Even more, like you said, story is weak, and when I finished the first part of campaign, with Chinese, I didn't know that it is the last Chinese campaign. Really weird. Too bad that I spent my two days off playing it... :((( I purchased it because of a good score in PC gamer and because there is nothing better coming out soon.

OK, later Hammer

levelLORD

Offline Siggy

• Show only replies by Siggy
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2003, 01:44:09 AM »
You could press Windows key + Pause button (at same time) for obtaining WinNT's release version...

Have to have a look see later when that machine is available (I'm not afforded the luxury of having a dedicated edit bay - not yet anyways  ;-)

@KingTutt & Hammer
Component prices have dropped rapidly over the the past 10 years - and I find myself sometimes trying to recall the prices I bought things for -- what was heinously expensive today is tomorrows junk.
The 400 I have in my clunker was once in my brother in laws 'super game box'.

But if you ever think you're getting ripped off - consider these purchases (in Oz at the time too):

1982 - C64 - $300
1983 - 1541 drive $344.50 (I remember that one exactly)
1983 - 300 baud modem - $250
            Amber monitor $150
1984 - 300/1200 baud modem (auto answer) $350
1984 - Pet 1001 drive  (x2) $400 each
1985 - Pet HD 5mhz (canna remember model) $500

So even 'bargain hunting' I spent a couple of grand all
up on a C64 system (I ran a bbs on it - probably still listed in some old 64 mags somewhere)..

Feel better now?

Siggy
The TV business is uglier than most things.
 It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the Journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs,

Offline JetRacer

• Show only replies by JetRacer
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2003, 06:47:40 AM »
Hammer: StarCraft is one of my favorites. That and Age of Mythology (much better than WarCraft3). StarCraft has alot of feeling (very rare thing in PeeCee gaming). AOM is the only game that made me abandon Age of Empires 1 (AOE2 included).

Command & Conquer, code red  and all that stuff is just hype. Dated on release, no fun in the long run (compared with the alternatives).

Apart from x86 gaming and some raytracing under RH, I'm a hardcore A1200 user (typing this on my A1200).
*Zap! Zap!* Ha! Take that! *Kabooom!* Hey, that\'s not fair!