Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is it OK to switch using port 2 (a2000) ?  (Read 808 times)

Description:

Offline rednovaTopic starter

• Show only replies by rednova
    • https://sites.google.com/site/rednova3d/
Is it OK to switch using port 2 (a2000) ?
« on: November 29, 2015, 02:15:31 AM »
Hi:

I have brilliance installed in my a2000. It needs a dongle protection which plugs
into the a2000 port 2.
I would love to get rocket ranger for christmas, but it needs the port 2 for the joystick.
The port 2 is currently plugged in with the brilliance dongle.
If I get rocket ranger, would it be OK to switch the port 2 between the joystick
and the dongle ?
Would it be OK if I only use the joystick once a week (to play the game) and then
the rest of the week I use the dongle ?
Please help me !!!
-mobilis in mobile-

Offline UberFreak

• Show only replies by UberFreak
Re: Is it OK to switch using port 2 (a2000) ?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 03:00:37 AM »
Just install a cracked version and forget about the dongle nuisance.

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 03:44:22 AM »
Quote from: UberFreak;799691
Just install a cracked version and forget about the dongle nuisance.
!wrong!

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 03:47:21 AM »
Quote from: rednova;799690
Hi:

I have brilliance installed in my a2000. It needs a dongle protection which plugs
into the a2000 port 2.
I would love to get rocket ranger for christmas, but it needs the port 2 for the joystick.
The port 2 is currently plugged in with the brilliance dongle.
If I get rocket ranger, would it be OK to switch the port 2 between the joystick
and the dongle ?
Would it be OK if I only use the joystick once a week (to play the game) and then
the rest of the week I use the dongle ?
Please help me !!!
You can get away with plug-in under power but the odds will catch up with you and blow up the CIA's.
Look for a multi plug joystick adapter... cheap and easy

Offline mechy

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 04:28:06 AM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;799692
!wrong!

actually it makes the most sense, he owns the original, so why not just install a cracked version :)

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 05:00:25 AM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;799693
You can get away with plug-in under power but the odds will catch up with you and blow up the CIA's.
Look for a multi plug joystick adapter... cheap and easy

Hi Rednova

I'm sure you are already aware to never to plug or unplug something to an Amiga while it's powered ON.  As SACC says you might get away with it a few times, but, the damage done to CIA chips adds up each time.  First, that port will become unreliable, then it will stop working altogether.  It shouldn't be that much hassle to swap in a joystick before you power up for a session of Rocket Ranger.  RR is a fun game. ;)

OTOH, I don't recall having a dongle for Brilliance.  Was this used on older versions?  It doesn't have a pass-thru?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:09:27 AM by Tenacious »

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 02:14:39 PM »
Brilliance version 2 (I believe) dropped the dongle. Really, there is no good reason to be using version 1 anymore.

So, what exactly is the danger of hot-plugging the joystick port? It's not the switching of the devices itself (although that can cause physical fatigue on the port), but rather the risk of static discharge when doing it, and also the risk of inserting something sloppily and shorting the wrong pins, right?

So using a joystick/mouse switch-box shouldn't cause any problem, because switching of all pins on the port is instantaneous and there is no human contact with the pins/grounding plate of the joystick port.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline Haranguer

• Show only replies by Haranguer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 04:50:01 PM »
Amiga joysticks are hot-swappable.  Don't hot-swap anything in any other port though.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 04:54:45 PM »
Quote from: Haranguer;799699
Amiga joysticks are hot-swappable.  Don't hot-swap anything in any other port though.

I thought the only danger with hot plugging mice or joysticks were the plugs which had metal surrounds on the end that could easily be shorted to a pin if not precisely aligned during insertion/removal.

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 10:02:17 PM »
I'm no expert.  It is my belief that any joystick with a chip for multiplexing many buttons would be more risky than the simple open switch type.  Most of mine have chips.

Certainly, static is an issue also, though I am less clear about how being powered off somehow helps that situation.  Winter is probably worse than summer.  YMMV.