Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did anyone try OS X Lion on a MBA?  (Read 7382 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Did anyone try OS X Lion on a MBA?
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 05:23:45 PM »
It works a treat on my knackered old early 2008 17" MBP which is Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz but only running at 1.25GHz at the moment due to a borked battery connection.

Will try it on my wife's same era white Macbook next week when it comes back from repair but might have to upgrade the ram from the paltry 1gb it currently has.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 05:25:24 PM »
Quote from: djrikki;651366
@Mflecter:

Yes, very good point.  That would be the road to ruin.  OSes need to be as open as possible.

Unlike the NIH ridden OS4 then.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline djrikki

• Show only replies by djrikki
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 01:56:14 AM »
Nope sorry, no idea what NIH is an abbreviation for.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 02:42:11 AM »
Quote from: djrikki;651428
Nope sorry, no idea what NIH is an abbreviation for.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wiki+nih

Offline Fullflavormenthol

• Show only replies by Fullflavormenthol
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 08:47:29 AM »
I don't mind it, and I am starting to get used to parts of it. Although I spent two hours changing somethings to make it more to my liking. iCal had a leather like skin, which I replaced with the traditional metallic. The scroll is a little weird, and I changed that back to normal. Did not like how Finder automatically shows the all my files thing as a default, and so I removed that. The library folder is hidden by default, and it takes a terminal command to unhide it.

The last time I went into terminal to change anything was to enable the "alt" keys in X11, and change the default "traffic light" button layout in iTunes from horizontal to vertical like the other programs. Consistency is a huge thing for me, and so that bugged me...mainly because I either minimize programs into the dock or use them in the back ground; I never shrink iTunes. Doing things through the terminal isn't so bad anymore given that I have needed to do a lot of command line stuff in Ubuntu and so doing it in OSX isn't really that different.

I do like Launchpad though, and with the track pad it is very easy to swipe through programs. I didn't think I would like it, but it quickly grew on me. Although I don't like the dull look of some of the OS, and a few of my FOSS apps don't work...but I have a Linux HD that can take over any of those needs.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:49:30 AM by Fullflavormenthol »

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 09:09:38 AM »
Quote from: Piru;651430

:lol: had NO idea that existed!

gunna havta hold onto that lil link for later... :D
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Sparky

• Show only replies by Sparky
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 09:37:43 AM »
Quote from: Piru;651430

Sorry Piru but with that you just came over as a bit of a ***!

Would it have been so hard to actually answer the question without insulting the asker ?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:26:03 PM by J-Golden »

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 10:12:28 AM »
Quote from: Sparky;651456
Sorry Piru but with that you just came over as a bit of a ***!

Would it have been so hard to actually answer the question without insulting the asker ?

There are 3 options here... :)

1) It's a genuine answer for people too lazy to goggle it...
2) It's Piru's Andriod sense of humour finally showing...
or
3) Yes Piru is a ***...

Take yer pick... :)

PS: Macs and whomever came up with the method for installing OSX must have been either someone with a hell of a lot of time on their hands or a right B@$&@%d, never seen such a ruddy load of cobblers in me life at least 8 ruddy hours just to install OSX 10.5, ruddy a-holes... :(
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:26:55 PM by J-Golden »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 10:52:49 AM »
That sounds like it could be a hardware fault Frank. It shouldn't take more than half an hour to install.

Offline Franko

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 11:03:55 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;651460
That sounds like it could be a hardware fault Frank. It shouldn't take more than half an hour to install.

@ Nicholas

When I replaced the HD in my G5 a few months back it took nearly 50 minutes to just install 10.5.2 from the DVD then just over 7 hours of downloading and installing all the updates just to get to 10.5.8 (the max this old iMac G5 can use)... :(

(and all that just to use the ruddy internet...) :cry:

Offline Piru

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 11:22:27 AM »
Quote from: Sparky;651456
Would it have been so hard to actually answer the question
I did answer the question.

without insulting the asker ?
No, sorry he deserved it.

Have we really become as lazy as to not google for 3 letter acronym we don't know about?

Since when has it become an insulting to point this out?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:24:46 AM by Piru »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 11:41:21 AM »
Quote from: Franko;651461
@ Nicholas

When I replaced the HD in my G5 a few months back it took nearly 50 minutes to just install 10.5.2 from the DVD then just over 7 hours of downloading and installing all the updates just to get to 10.5.8 (the max this old iMac G5 can use)... :(

(and all that just to use the ruddy internet...) :cry:

Why did you change your HD? You said you never use it except for the internet. The truth is you really do like using your mac. It wasn't broken... you UPGRADED!  :roflmao:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Franko

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;651464
Why did you change your HD? You said you never use it except for the internet. The truth is you really do like using your mac. It wasn't broken... you UPGRADED!  :roflmao:

Cos the old one (which was less than 8 months old) being a SATA HD and the way that poxy Macs work was reporting "fatal errors" due to that silly built in self testing crap they put in SATA HDs... :(

OSX stopped letting me use it because it checks for these errors and if it find them the disk becomes unusable, so I had to replace it... :(

But it works fine on my Amiga's cos they don't bother with that silly built in self testing crap that I've since discovered can often be wrong but of course on Mac OSX if these errors reach the critical/fatal stage, then whether their is actually anything wrong with the disk or not the OS doesn't let you use it... bloody load of nonsense if you ask me... :(

Offline Piru

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 06:33:26 PM »
S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology; sometimes written as SMART) is a monitoring system for computer hard disk drives to detect and report on various indicators of reliability, in the hope of anticipating failures.

When a failure is anticipated by S.M.A.R.T., the user may choose to replace the drive to avoid unexpected outage and data loss.

Say whatever you like I'll rather take false positives sometimes rather than data loss.

Offline ice2642

• Show only replies by ice2642
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 08:07:06 PM »
I noot try the lion, but i try the AROS in my macbook and it works very fast.

BR
Amiga SiDi FPGA 2Mb chip 23Mb Fast -  RTG Minimig AOS 3.2

Offline Franko

« Reply #29 from previous page: July 24, 2011, 08:17:15 PM »
Quote from: Piru;651510
Say whatever you like I'll rather take false positives sometimes rather than data loss.

I'd rather not, when you consider that there was nothing wrong with the drive in the first place... ;)

After removing it from the MAC and not because of "just in case" it was because the MAC and it's poxy OS would not allow anything to be written to the disk any more because of these so called "S.M.A.R.T." errors. I tested it in a media box player and it worked fine and then I tested it on an Amiga (filled all 500GBs) and it worked fine & still does...

Point is after doing much reading about this so called "SMART" technology, it seems it's not very smart at all and prone to giving false errors thus forcing the user to buy a new drive and having to reinstall a whole ruddy system and data... :madashell:

I've even read that it's a marketing ploy by the manufactures just make sure we keep buying new HDs... :furious:

There are also programs the manufactures have to reset/ flash the chips on the HD to reset all the "SMART" parameters but they wont allow the public to have them because they say people would use the program to reset faulty HDs and resell them.... :(

Call me cynical but it's more like they wont release these programs so that the user is conned into purchasing a new HD instead of running a quick program that would save what is otherwise a perfectly working HD (not to mention all your data)... :madashell: