Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CUSA Amiga range will cost up to $25,000  (Read 15661 times)

Description:

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
Re: CUSA Amiga range will cost up to $25,000
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 10:35:26 PM »
Quote from: Duce;660715
I am curious when and why their strategies have changed.
First time around they were making these Amiga boxes for the "retro" market, with intentions of their own rebadged distro with integrated emulation.

Now they are taking a shot at the high, high end content development market.  Where does the "Amiga" fit into that?  Are you telling me that for $25,000 I'll get a "high end graphics machine" running reskinned Linux and UAE on it?  I can just imagine Pixar waiting with baited breath to put in a 20 million dollar order.  The "Amiga" name doesn't mean squat to the people that would be in the market for these high end machines.

Listen, we've all seen the Amiga brand be raped and defiled in front of our eyes for many years, and while I quite enjoy the hysterical nature of all this - I'm confused as to why they would suddenly figure that going from bargain basement $600 commodity hardware stuffed into custom cases to $25,000 machines is the logical step.  And even if that made sense, why would anyone choose these systems over the big boys with 24/7 on site support and millions of customers worldwide?

There's 1001 vendors making systems like this, and not just the big guns like Dell.  It's like Yugo putting leather seats, nice stereos and burl walnut trim in their economy cars and figuring it's time to take out Rolls Royce.

While CommodoreOS would certainly make C64x/VIC users happier,
yes, you are right, it will have no effect on the higher priced CUSA "Amiga" range.

Well, even the Yugo never went that road. Last was discontinued in 2008
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 10:35:53 PM »
Quote from: Duce;660715
I am curious when and why their strategies have changed.
First time around they were making these Amiga boxes for the "retro" market, with intentions of their own rebadged distro with integrated emulation.

Now they are taking a shot at the high, high end content development market.  Where does the "Amiga" fit into that?
Here's my theory: Barry, incensed and disappointed that his $600-1500 generic Atom/i7 machines were not setting the world on fire as he fantasized, decided that the thing to do would be to set his sights on a market where people are used to paying lots of money for a machine. Surely, $1,000 extra for a case/brand-name tax would not be missed in such a purchase!

Of course, what he's completely missed is that proven track records and quality service (of which CUSA has neither) have a lot to do with the willingness to drop $5K-20K on a workstation. But that's okay, he can make up for that with his fabled business chops! Shine on, you crazy diamond!

(The reference there is to imply that Barry, like Syd Barret, must have ingested copious amounts of controlled substances to come up with what he has. The difference is that in Barry's case, it's not meant as a compliment.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 11:21:28 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;660725
Here's my theory: Barry, incensed and disappointed that his $600-1500 generic Atom/i7 machines were not setting the world on fire as he fantasized, decided that the thing to do would be to set his sights on a market where people are used to paying lots of money for a machine. Surely, $1,000 extra for a case/brand-name tax would not be missed in such a purchase!

(The reference there is to imply that Barry, like Syd Barret, must have ingested copious amounts of controlled substances to come up with what he has. The difference is that in Barry's case, it's not meant as a compliment.)

Hmmm ... man has got the cow (both Commodore and Amiga stickers and logos, except for Boing Ball displayed sometimes on the website) and got to milk it to the max. Now, verry glad Amiga Inc has lost the court case and limited itself to tablets n cows

Quite psychadelic yes, and reminds me of Barry calling me "stoned" :-)

Everything good takes time to build, eveything notworthy shall fade away
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline EvilGuy

• Show only replies by EvilGuy
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 11:51:07 PM »
Sounds like they're trying to do the old "recoup all of our development costs in a single sale" trick.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 12:22:23 AM »
Quote from: vox;660701
Wait, there is said just the case is $1000?

And they say AmigaOne boards are expensive :-)

Oh my lord.  The most expensive case I could find (when you throw a Thermaltake PSU in with the deal) was right about that but it has a 10" display built in to it.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 12:26:55 AM »
Actually, I can imagine the sales pitch:

Customer:  So these $25,000 computers are state of the art garphics machines you say?
C=USA:  Yep, sure are.  You can't buy better!
Customer:  So how powerful are they?
C=USA:  Did you ever TRON 2 on DVD?
Customer:  Yes, that's where I heard of you.
C=USA:  Disney who made the film are our PARTNERS!
Customer:  You mean your computers here did the graphics for the movie?!
C=USA:  I can't answer that as I'm bound by a confidentiality agreement.
Customer:  Wow!  I'll take 3 of them!
C=USA:  KaChing!  Sucker!!!
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 12:47:29 AM »
Hang-on haters... Where's the usual "Why the hell are we even allowing mention of CUSA on Amiga.org?!?!!" ?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
Guess we were all too gobsmacked by the stupidity of this to think of it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 01:05:03 AM »
Quote from: mingle;660776
Hang-on haters... Where's the usual "Why the hell are we even allowing mention of CUSA on Amiga.org?!?!!" ?

Because now they're entertaining.  We either post in this thread or watch Two and a Half Men for a laugh.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 01:32:03 AM »
Either way we are watching a train wreck. :)

I still think this is a smokescreen and he is just waiting to unleash the Commodore ZXX Spectrum.

Offline mike-

• Show only replies by mike-
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 02:43:06 AM »
But, its hand made and delivered by Walt Disney himself!
C= Amiga Addict & Dendrophiliac
(Oo)
⎛☮ໄ
ﮑὠՀ

Offline Tension

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 02:44:28 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;660779
Because now they're entertaining.  We either post in this thread or watch Two and a Half Men for a laugh.

There's nothing funny about Two And A Half Men.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 03:19:38 AM »
Quote from: Tension;660787
There's nothing funny about Two And A Half Men.

I missed the "funeral" episode.  The older series were fun.

I still think Married With Children was a classic.  Al Bundy was my role model.

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 03:22:32 AM »
Quote from: Akiko;660632
Is this a joke?

Yes, CUSA is a joke.  Have they burned through their purported $30 Million ad budget yet?

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 05:28:04 AM »
add to basket

Offline Fullflavormenthol

• Show only replies by Fullflavormenthol
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 23, 2011, 07:45:03 AM »
Oh.....my....a...gwahd!!!!!

Are you serious? I have a Mac Pro that does what I really need it to do running OSX, Windows, and Linux for a fraction of that. It plays great games too. I was also considering an Alienware system at similar specs that was the same cost.

There is no way they could provide a computer worth that much. I mean I could buy an entire render farm for that price built out of a combination of Apple, Alienware and IBM machines for that price. What the hell are they thinking.

The Amiga name was associated with a competitive computer at only a small increase in price in its heyday. Even in the later days it ways only a small increase. This is just stupid. The novelty of an Amiga badge won't pay for that.

Sorry I could buy a broken down Amiga...pull everything out...build new rails...put in any computer I want with an emulator and play pretend. Really right now if I want an Amiga I would simply buy a PPC board and run Amiga OS. Fingers crossed for a time in which I could afford it, which seems far more likely than ever owning an Amiga for C-USA.

Unless it is hand signed by Walt Disney himself and built by the imagineers I won't even think about it other than to laugh.

Commodore USA...Making Apple prices look down right thrifty by comparison.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:48:20 AM by Fullflavormenthol »