Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Public Release of MorphOS 2.6 & Introduction of PowerMac Support  (Read 13584 times)

Description:

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
Re: Public Release of MorphOS 2.6 & Introduction of PowerMac Support
« Reply #119 from previous page: October 12, 2010, 01:26:50 PM »
@warpdesign

Well... you don't have to pay.
~

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2010, 01:47:41 PM »
Quote from: Jupp3;584179
Firstly, what software on MorphOS runs too slow on ATI 9250? Don't get me wrong, I would also like to see some that do :-)

Until we have significant amount of software that's too slow, I'd say it's "good enough"

Secondly, wasn't the discussion about ATI 9000, rather than 9250? (At least you mentioned specifically 9000 in some of your posts) Sure, both lose to modern gfx cards, but 9000 is quite a lot faster than 9250.

And even if cards are "good enough" (for now), there's availability problem. Best (of the supported) models, like 9000 are almost impossible to find as new (but available on ebay etc.) while worst models, like 9250 are quite a bit easier to find (sometimes even new). And for most, even that is enough. For now.

Exactly my point.  What software?  There really isn't much beyond 68k software and a web browser.  Sure, those run pretty fast because they don't use or need 3D acceleration or anything else we've come to expect from current GPUs and systems.

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2010, 02:58:59 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;584235
Exactly my point.  What software?  There really isn't much beyond 68k software and a web browser.  Sure, those run pretty fast because they don't use or need 3D acceleration or anything else we've come to expect from current GPUs and systems.

Ok, second round. :)

We could really use faster gfx cards even with the software/games we have currently. Here are a few examples games or applications:

- Blender
- Stellarium
- Freespace 2
- Homeworld
- Aquaria
- Quake 3 and all its (more heavy) mods
- Return to Castle Wolftenstein and Wolftenstein: Enemy Territory (not released yet)
- Warzone2100
- UFO alien invasion
- Neverball

Most of them run good enough on Radeons, but it wouldn't hurt to have faster gfx cards to run some of them with higher details/resolution/whatever.

And by the way, OWB would benefit of an hw-accelerated cairo too (but there's no 3d stuff involved there).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:13:42 PM by SysAdmin »

Offline warpdesign

• Show only replies by warpdesign
    • http://www.warpdesign.fr
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »

Why should your boss pay you to flip burgers?

Difference is that MOS development isn't their "job"...

You need to be paid for your job. You don't need to be paid for your hobby stuff... Even though it's time & work (which I don't deny). No one is forcing you to work on MorphOS: you have no contract (not that I know at least ;)). When you have a job, you have obligations, and your company is making money thanks to your work... So in returns mean you have to be paid for your work...

What I mean isn't that it's ok or not to do it. They choose to sell it, fine. But it's not mandatory. A lot of people have real jobs, work on their spare time on other OS (AROS, Haiku, Menuet,... just to name a few) and don't seem to have the need to require you to pay any money in order to use their product.

And it seems developers here seem to imply it is mandatory. As if any line of code required some cent...

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2010, 05:39:02 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;584133
My existing motherboard doesn't do SLI, only crossfire. It was one of the first to support the Q9450 and at that point there were shenanigans between nVidia and intel. Alas, thanks to my X48 chipset, no SLI for me.

Of course, that could be the perfect excuse to get an X58 and core i7...

However, getting a bit off-topic here :-)

I think the 460 only supports two-way SLI, but even without that, can't you address the cards individually with CUDA, or does the API depend on hardware SLI?

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2010, 06:16:27 PM »
I just installed MorphOS 2.6 nice update, thanx MorphOS Team!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2010, 06:21:14 PM »
Quote from: warpdesign;584284
Difference is that MOS development isn't their "job"...

You need to be paid for your job. You don't need to be paid for your hobby stuff... Even though it's time & work (which I don't deny). No one is forcing you to work on MorphOS: you have no contract (not that I know at least ;)). When you have a job, you have obligations, and your company is making money thanks to your work... So in returns mean you have to be paid for your work...

What I mean isn't that it's ok or not to do it. They choose to sell it, fine. But it's not mandatory. A lot of people have real jobs, work on their spare time on other OS (AROS, Haiku, Menuet,... just to name a few) and don't seem to have the need to require you to pay any money in order to use their product.

And it seems developers here seem to imply it is mandatory. As if any line of code required some cent...

No one is forcing you to buy MorphOS either.

I've just bought a 1.25GHz G4 eMac for £20 for the wife.  Gonna install MOS on it and see how she fairs. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »
Quote from: Trev;584293
I think the 460 only supports two-way SLI, but even without that, can't you address the cards individually with CUDA, or does the API depend on hardware SLI?

You can certainly use them independently but I think there's a performance leverage with SLI. As I've only the one card atm, I've not looked too deeply into it but I think it makes sharing large working datasets between the GPUs that much easier.
int p; // A

Offline nicholas

« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2010, 09:25:48 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;584333
You can certainly use them independently but I think there's a performance leverage with SLI. As I've only the one card atm, I've not looked too deeply into it but I think it makes sharing large working datasets between the GPUs that much easier.

U got mail bro.

Daddy has a new baby. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2010, 12:54:14 AM »
Quote from: Fab;584254
Ok, second round. :)

We could really use faster gfx cards even with the software/games we have currently. Here are a few examples games or applications:

- Blender
- Stellarium
- Freespace 2
- Homeworld
- Aquaria
- Quake 3 and all its (more heavy) mods
- Return to Castle Wolftenstein and Wolftenstein: Enemy Territory (not released yet)
- Warzone2100
- UFO alien invasion
- Neverball

Most of them run good enough on Radeons, but it wouldn't hurt to have faster gfx cards to run some of them with higher details/resolution/whatever.

And by the way, OWB would benefit of an hw-accelerated cairo too (but there's no 3d stuff involved there).

Sure, 5 yr old hardware should run 10+ yr old games quite well.  I won't dispute that.  And I'm sure the "newer" games run fine too albeit using a subset (TinyGL) of a VERY old release of OpenGL.  Maybe version 1.1 or 1.2.  The current release of OpenGL is 4.1.  So if you're a retro gamer who likes to play on retro-hardware, then knock yourself out.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;584378
Sure, 5 yr old hardware should run 10+ yr old games quite well.  I won't dispute that.  And I'm sure the "newer" games run fine too albeit using a subset (TinyGL) of a VERY old release of OpenGL.  Maybe version 1.1 or 1.2.  The current release of OpenGL is 4.1.  So if you're a retro gamer who likes to play on retro-hardware, then knock yourself out.

You bought a hackers toy to play the latest games?

Want to buy a bridge?