Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: C64x Unboxing videos  (Read 29090 times)

Description:

Offline spirantho

Re: C64x Unboxing videos
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 09:34:43 AM »
@skurk

chlamb isn't a member - don't let the occasional C=USA fanboy ruin the experience on the website. I agree though, C64x has no place on this forum (unless we're a PC forum now).

I do wonder though if he's actually C=USA staff using a different name....
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2011, 10:55:28 AM »
Quote from: chlamb;648699
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8xMh7k2Bhc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I0IkSWTqts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUHx_ImWsNE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emzz0lbr8uQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po49nHTotJ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5mjAxVjGtQ

Nice! I like the case and keyboard a lot. It´s the small things like having the caps lock led in the key (Amiga style) that make the difference.

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;648783
@skurk

I do wonder though if he's actually C=USA staff using a different name....

Whether CUSA staff or just one of the weird fanboy mouthpieces CUSA have lurking around the place, it seems pretty obvious to me that it's someone already registered here who knows that if they posted that under their current nick it wouldn't have a good impact. Think about it - if it wasn't someone like that, why would they be trying to get some nasty digs in, right in their first post? Wonder how their IP address lines up with the others'...
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2011, 01:01:08 PM »
I don't think I got the whole point of this post and all the reactions about it.
Why the Amiga community hates Commodore USA?
They're just a HW supplier that were able to build a nice c64 replica x86 case. What's really wrong with that?
Are they using the commodore name illegally? (I really don't know. I'm really asking.)

The Amiga scene, while interestingly active, it's kind of a confusing nowadays:
1) retro guys using the original hw and SW (like many other retro scenes)
2) AOS 4 - new software but they insist that it must only run on exotic hardware, otherwise it is not amiga
3) MorphOS - new software and they're more open to existent HW but constantly being criticized because the HW is too old and/or because it's an apple, not an Amiga.
4) AROS - run on (certain) x86 HW, so, you can try to get those UGLY standard PC cases, add NEON and several FANS to it (to get even uglier) and create an AROS box.
5) Natami - (can't tell too much about this option)

and then you have these guys.
Why they can't recreate the A1200 case, with a full functional "mac compatible" keyboard attached and a kit for disassembling a g4 mini and putting it inside of it?
A MorphOS G4 silent A1200 would be REAAALLLLYY cool.

Best regards,
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2011, 01:25:05 PM »
You must have missed the past year where the C-USA cheerleaders have lied, slandered, insulted, harassed and threatened virtually anyone they got a chance to here on Amiga.org.  Dig around a bit, you'll find enough to keep you reading for days.

No one gives a shit about their products, it's their treatment of the community and questionable business practices that have made the C-USA affair such a dramafest.

If people wish to buy an mini-itx x86 board running Linux crammed into a replica case, Godspeed.  Just be aware what you are getting.  As for C-USA relating to Amiga - that's nonexistant, they have no Amiga offerings on the market right now, only the 64, which afaik does not yet even come with "Commodore OS" or an emulator for C64 stuff.

Personally, I am curious to see reviews on the product they are currently shipping to show up on reputable review sites.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:29:13 PM by Duce »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2011, 01:25:53 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;648795
I don't think I got the whole point of this post and all the reactions about it.
Why the Amiga community hates Commodore USA?
They're just a HW supplier that were able to build a nice c64 replica x86 case. What's really wrong with that?
Are they using the commodore name illegally? (I really don't know. I'm really asking.)

The Amiga scene, while interestingly active, it's kind of a confusing nowadays:
1) retro guys using the original hw and SW (like many other retro scenes)
2) AOS 4 - new software but they insist that it must only run on exotic hardware, otherwise it is not amiga
3) MorphOS - new software and they're more open to existent HW but constantly being criticized because the HW is too old and/or because it's an apple, not an Amiga.
4) AROS - run on (certain) x86 HW, so, you can try to get those UGLY standard PC cases, add NEON and several FANS to it (to get even uglier) and create an AROS box.
5) Natami - (can't tell too much about this option)

and then you have these guys.
Why they can't recreate the A1200 case, with a full functional "mac compatible" keyboard attached and a kit for disassembling a g4 mini and putting it inside of it?
A MorphOS G4 silent A1200 would be REAAALLLLYY cool.

Best regards,

Easy. All the points above you are confused about are what make Amiga so interesting today. The Amiga community at this time is probably the most interesting thing that is happening in the world of computers (in my opinion). So you were spot on with your comparisons of all the different Amiga flavors but i think you should appreciate the differences and not slam them.

As for CUSA, they are bastardizing the Amiga name just so they can make a quick buck. They have no interest or passion in anything to do with anything Amiga and are simply trying to make a quick buck. If you look at all the people involved in the Amiga community such as the peoples at Hyperion, Morphos, Aros etc you will see the people involved have a genuine love for their Miggie projects and the vast majority are volunteer programmers who are not in it for the cash but do what they do out of passion for something they love. CUSA are doing what they are doing because they want quick cash. They are selling imitations as the real thing therefore ruining the goodwill of the Amiga name but this is OK as long as they make a quick buck in the process  :madashell:

P.S. I'm drunk.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Marcb

• Show only replies by Marcb
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2011, 01:28:43 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;648709
You obvious don't understand (or want to understand) what the problems with C-USA are.

I know it's going to sound like trolling but...

I honestly don't know the history behind all the stuff thrown at CUSA... what exactly happened?

As for the C64x I don't mind it but i can't see myself parting with that much coin for one.
"...but some animals are more equal than others."

Offline EvilGuy

• Show only replies by EvilGuy
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2011, 01:36:23 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;648798

As for CUSA, they are bastardizing the Amiga name just so they can make a quick buck.

So out of character for Amiga companies these days, with the notable exception of one or two.

Offline number6

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2011, 01:39:56 PM »
@thread

Free advertising of sorts worldwide?

source

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2011, 02:49:02 PM »
But is it military spec?>

Military as in epic bomb ?

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
I couldn't care less about who they are and what they did.
I think the HW looks great. With the right SW on it, it could be better.
They should invest on a fully customized LINUX distro with C64 Look&Feel along with a c64 emulator somehow integrated with linux. Maybe double clicking .d64's and running those in full screen.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2011, 03:07:16 PM »

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;648806
They should invest on a fully customized LINUX distro with C64 Look&Feel along with a c64 emulator somehow integrated with linux. Maybe double clicking .d64's and running those in full screen.

First, you have to understand that the people on Amiga.org are nothing but a bunch of whiners who couldn't see the forest for the trees. They like old archaic stuff that no one else would buy. They just don't get it, but in order to sell something Amiga today you almost have to go PC oreintated. Lets look at the stuff they are doing which amigians think are great:

1. Morphos -- uses a 10 year old MAC, using a MAC alone is a disgrace to the real Amigians.
                    they really insult the old Amiga users with this. Probably works good, don't
                    don't know since I sort of hate MACS, but this may be the one that breaks
                    my back, really curious to see how it works.

2. Natami --   Whew, this guy is really desperite, he is really using some old CPU's and calls
                    it the updating and modernization of the Amiga, Ok they can try to sell it but
                    I wouldn't buy it, basically old hardware.

3. AROS  --    A very interesting group, they probably will have the most success if they
                    keep going and open up their specifications for use of a PC. I am keeping a
                    total eye on this one.

4. Sam 440 -- Wow the cost of one of these would buy a good modern day PC that would
                    really blow away the PC gaming world, but as of yet a totally useless
                    endeavor, who supports it? a couple of hobby people who make small
                    programs for it.
                   Advantages -- it runs OS 4.1, it turns on and works.
                   Disadvantages -- No support, updates for OS 4.1 (maybe). Looks like a
                                           confined dead system.

5. Minimig -- Ok has the power of an A500, plays old Amiga stuff, will probably buy one
                  buy one, but once again the cost is very high, Cloanto's Amiga Forever a
                  better proposition.

6. CUSA --   A really big joke, with a lot of effort, who wants to spend that much for what
                  they give you. Go to NewEgg or TigerDirect and buy a real computer. Then
                  get WinUAE or C64 emulator and run it on a real computer.
                  Advantages -- they are making now and IT WORKS. If everything else fails
                  you can still use windows or Ubuntu for your computer needs.
                  Disadvantages -- WAY TO EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT YOU GET.

7. Clonto's Amiga Forever -- This is there, it works very very good, on a MODERN day
                                       computer it works super fast emulating an Amiga, it works
                                       with just about every model of Amiga out there with no
                                       hassle. It is what the Amiga should of been, fast, efficient,
                                       hassle free, no setting up for pal, or NTSC, no using degrader,
                                       modern day graphics, internet (if someone would upgrade the
                                       browsers) usb ports work. Can use floppies, CD's, DVD's,
                                       Needs programmers to drop all the other BS projects and start
                                       programming new modern day programs for it. Constantly
                                       upgradeable, hardware is plentiful and inexpensive.
                                       NOTHING AN AMIGIAN WOULD USE TODAY BECAUSE THEY ARE
                                       ALL A BUNCH OF KNOTHEADS THAT COULDN'T SEE THE LIGHT
                                       IF YOU SHONE IT IN THEIR EYES. THAT IS WHY CUSA IS
                                       BRINGING OUT IT'S UNDERPOWERED COMPUTERS.
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2011, 04:48:57 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;648806
Well, you did ask why everybody hates CUSA - that's basically the majority of the reason. They've been strutting around like King Shit of Shit Mountain for over a year now and acting douchey to anybody who doesn't play along with their delusions of grandeur, and frankly it's soured a lot of people on them. I myself came into this with no particular beef with the company, but after the past year of watching their behavior (to say nothing of their assorted sycophants) I'm pretty much rooting for massive commercial failure.
The hardware really isn't great, though - it's an (at best) mid-range PC board in a "Special Collector's Replica Edition" breadbox case that they're charging $250 for. (Wonder what the production cost on the case is?) I did a price breakdown in another thread, if you want a PC you can get one many times better than the expanded C64x models for less than the price of the base model. And if you want a C64 case, you can DIY for far less than the cost of their overpriced Franklin Mint crap.

As for the software, they're all talk. They made a lot of noise about running a "custom OS" after using Ubuntu as a stopgap, and now it turns out all they actually meant was producing a Commodore-skinned Ubuntu variant (as many people here predicted right from the get-go.) They're not going to actually put any effort into the software.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2011, 05:15:29 PM »
Quote from: Marcb;648799
I know it's going to sound like trolling but...

I honestly don't know the history behind all the stuff thrown at CUSA... what exactly happened?

As for the C64x I don't mind it but i can't see myself parting with that much coin for one.

Well, in short, they "stole" a lot of their early info from Amiga fans and tried to pass it off as their own designs.  Then they started threatening people with cut & paste legal letters for the internet, then they started threatening and insulting anyone who pointed any of this out or who disagreed with their business model.  Then they started trying to pass off any other company they bought components off or purchased advertising space from as either "their facilities" or "their hand-in-hand partner".  Let's not mention the lies behind the sales numbers and production runs where they couldn't work out between them whether cases had been shipped, were being produced, were still prototypes, etc.  Hell, the C64x was supposedly shipped once a couple of months ago (says Spammy) only for Leo to then post that they were still trying to decide whether to include a mouse in the package (hard to put something in a box that has already been mailed), and as you can see, the first deliveries have only just happened.  Oh, and the threats, homophobic remarks and lies just keep on coming.  Did you see the the pictures of "their factory in China" showing thousands of motherboards apparently being shipped, only for The Daddy to find the link to the same photographs showing it to be 2 years old and of a factory in Germany?  Classic stuff!

If they just came clean and said that they were a PC reseller, operating on a shoestring budget from a small building in a Florida business mall then they would get a lot of respect.  Unfortunately, the community has had its fill of lies over the years and the pure unprofessionalism of the company doesn't bode well for after-sales support.

C-USA has had months to turn around, apologize for past mistakes and reboot their image.  It seems that they are led by people with character flaws running so deep that they can't even manage that.

That's the problem.  :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 05:18:14 PM by Darrin »
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #44 from previous page: July 09, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »

And if you want a C64 case, you can DIY for far less than the cost of their overpriced Franklin Mint crap.

I don't, but, the Business of selling retro cases prepared to hold modern parts sounds much more interesting.
I highly doubt that I could DImyself a case replica. Specially the keyboard part.