Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PSP and UAE  (Read 4186 times)

Description:

Offline McVencoTopic starter

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
PSP and UAE
« on: April 14, 2008, 09:28:55 PM »
I want to give PSPUAE a try, but I just can't seem to find out what kind of firmware I need (or how to install that) - one site mentions firmware v1.5x and the other one is talking about custom firmware v3.xx M33 or god knows what they are called. Currently I've got 3.9x (if I'm correct - battery's empty so I can't check right now).

I just want to run some third party software like PSPUAE or other emulators if available, and a browser (I understand this thing has some sort of WLAN/WiFi on board).

I'm a complete n00b with the PSP so any general help is welcome. Most important is to run UAE.
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline SamOS39

• Show only replies by SamOS39
    • http://amigaknight.tk
Re: PSP and UAE
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 09:54:02 PM »
You need to downgrade and since you have a firmware higher than 3.7 the only way you can downgrade is with pandoras battery ..
so ive read..
I am in the same situasion but i havent had chance to try this out.

Pandoras battery is a software that resets the piece of memory built into the battery, the only wayto do it though is to borrow a friends PSP (downgraded), and stick the your battery in it and run the software.
once the software is finished .. you take the battery out andput it backinyour one, load up and hey presto youve downgraded ..

I havent tried it myself though this is only fromwhat i have read ..

I think your asking on the wrong forum though ..

Offline nine3o

• Show only replies by nine3o
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 09:54:49 PM »
Hi McVenco,

Do you have a newer PSP (thiner style with no eject button) or the older style PSP (it's beefier in size and has an eject button to release the UMD drive bay)

What they are refering to for firmware, V1.5x is the most hackable version and you can pretty much run anything you want.  If you have a slim line PSP, there is currently no way to back flash it to this code level (it is being worked on tho).  V3.xx M33 is a hacked firmware version that allows you play home brew files and god forbid pirated games!!!  :)

Again, if this is a newer PSP you will need what is called Pandora's box (it's a battery with a hack in it), and possibly another PSP with a hacked firmware on it (depending on the firmware level)

I can send you more details off line if you like, PM me with details you need clarification on or procedure on how to back flash.

Also, if you are at the latest firmware release, you may not be able to flash it to a hackable code (not sure been a while since I have been hacking PSP's) but can get that information for you.
A1200 with Blizzard 1230MKiV 64MB fast ram

Offline SamOS39

• Show only replies by SamOS39
    • http://amigaknight.tk
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 10:01:44 PM »
snap!  :-D
but i forgot to mention that slimline and the older ones are different  :roll:

I have a bulky one with firmware version 3.90 ..

you seem to know more than me, theres a PM coming your way soon  ;-)

Offline monami

• Show only replies by monami
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 11:04:16 PM »
i have a slim psp. i spent ages trying to understand what to get and what to do and gave up. i bought a kit off ebay. a mem card and pandora battery from china. it cost £20 but was worth it. you could always sell it on but i'm keeping mine. search for "pandora psp" or custom firmware (cfw.) on ebay. best of luck.

i forgot to say it was a one button operation. it boots and says something or other and you press a button job done. easy after all the reading you can do! :crazy:
i will bless them that bless you. i will curse them that curse you. gods promise to his chosen people the jews.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 02:44:10 AM »
@monami,

Can you give us a bit more of a review of the performance and compatibility of your PSP running UAE?  What games work, how well do the the PSP controls emulate an Amiga joystick and/or mouse.  Can any games that require type written passwords be played and how are you able to enter such passwords?

PSP has wifi, right?  It also has a web browser, correct?  My wife's oldest child from another marriage has one, but I never looked at it closely.  If the PSP has a few utilities, like a calculator, date book, address book, email capability, web browsing, etc. such that it could replace my very old Palm Zire that I use seldom, I would consider getting one.  The Zire does not have wifi, internet, or email, but I use the weak camera and the date book/alarm features some times.

How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline WOWZER

• Show only replies by WOWZER
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 03:47:28 AM »
UAE on the PSP is not very stable although it has gotten better with each version. It emulates a standard A500 with OCS. There is a on screen keyboard that you can pull up to type on. Not all games will run on it and it crashes alot.

It will play Nuke War very well though and thats a plus.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 06:01:14 AM »
I just picked up a PSP slim just for this purpose.
 From what I read you need to open up your battery and remove a leg from one of the pins to do this...

...well I opened my battery, but thankfully the tutorial did not warn me that there are thin power cables near the bottom of the pack that can easily be sliced...

...and well I sliced it.

On top of this they did not mention in the tutorial that some batteries are encased in a silver bagging.
 I figured to get to the circuit board they showed in there tutorials I would have to remove the silver bagging...

...well low and behold, something dripped out, burned my hand, gave my nose a bit of stress, then began to smoke.

Guess I'm out to lay down $45 for another battery to mess up.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 06:29:56 AM »
Get a GP2X instead :-P

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline McVencoTopic starter

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 07:21:51 AM »

nine3o wrote:

Do you have a newer PSP or the older style PSP

V3.xx M33 is a hacked firmware version that allows you play home brew files and god forbid pirated games!!!  :)

I can send you more details off line if you like, PM me with details you need clarification on or procedure on how to back flash.

I've got an "old" PSP, and I'm not planning to run pirated games on it - I don't really like those modern games anyway (well, maybe GTA, but that gets boring after an hour as well) - so I thought it could be a pretty cool UAE gamedevice instead.

I will only need to find myself an adapter first since I got the PSP without one, and the battery's dead already.

But if you have any tips, PMs are welcome :-)
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 08:18:21 AM »

XDelusion wrote:

On top of this they did not mention in the tutorial that some batteries are encased in a silver bagging.
 I figured to get to the circuit board they showed in there tutorials I would have to remove the silver bagging...

...well low and behold, something dripped out, burned my hand, gave my nose a bit of stress, then began to smoke.

Guess I'm out to lay down $45 for another battery to mess up.

:shocked:  :getmad:  :shocked:

Yikes!

Kids, Datel / Codejunkies have been selling a commercial 'service tool' battery for ages.  Looks like they now also have a slightly cheaper device to flash existing batteries back and forth.  (Note that the color code is orange based on the color of the original "Pandora's Battery" Sony accidentally leaked out with a repaired unit.)

http://us.codejunkies.com/Departments/PSP.aspx
http://uk.codejunkies.com/Departments/PSP.aspx

These shouldn't be particularly illict -- IIRC, it's a magic serial number that enables the service mode, and the magic serial number is something like all-zeroes.  

It'd be hard to even interpret that as a DMCA violation here in the US, since it's a general service mode, not a direct circumvention of a copy-protection mechanism.

Of course, once you have the ability to pop the PSP into service mode, the only useful thing [for an average user] to do is install firmware that allows unsigned/homebrew code to run, and distributing a full firmware image based on hacked-up Sony code is pretty much bound to violate their copyright.  [In other words, I don't think you become a criminal until you pass that binary on.  The creators of the binaries are cagey because, for the convenience of the world, they're distributing full images that include Sony code.]

If you could get that as a cleanroom diff to apply to an image of the firmware that came with your unit, everything would probably be kosher -- you're just making use of the hardware you paid for -- at least until you start making "backups" of UMDs.  I don't remember having to agree to any EULA to open the box and start playing, so I think basic copyright law is what applies here.  Of course, I am not a lawyer, YMMV, check with yours before making a business model out of this. :-D

As noted, the battery hack applies to the Slim'n'Lite because the old models come with firmware that can be exploited through simpler means.  Again IIRC, you can always back out to the 'factory' firmware through some reset mechanism (definitely confirm this first, my memory is rough), so an upgraded original model shouldn't require a trick battery but the Slim'n'Lite will, and will again if you revert it back to the factory baseline.

The above is my understanding as of a few months ago.  I picked up a Slim'n'Lite but haven't actually tried any of this myself, since I barely even have time to play games on it!  (Anyone have docs on using Sony's paid downloads from *NIX / without the silly Windows 'loader' software they require?)

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 08:27:26 AM »

amigadave wrote:

PSP has wifi, right?  It also has a web browser, correct?  My wife's oldest child from another marriage has one, but I never looked at it closely.  If the PSP has a few utilities, like a calculator, date book, address book, email capability, web browsing, etc. such that it could replace my very old Palm Zire that I use seldom, I would consider getting one.  The Zire does not have wifi, internet, or email, but I use the weak camera and the date book/alarm features some times.

It does have 802.11 (b in the original, the Slim may be g?) and a browser.  There might be a calendar and alarm clock buried somewhere but it's not really geared to the other utilities (until you go homebrew), which is a shame.  Also, the camera is an addon that, as of many months ago, hadn't made it out of Japan.

You could try using web-based apps for contacts, etc., but the input system is roughly as much fun as entering your name on a high score screen.

Edit:  Now that I think of it, there are rumors of a third-generation one in the works, though it may not be out for quite some time.  Given the magnitude of the changes in the Slim'n'Lite -- double the RAM, though mostly used for disk cache right now, the possible wifi improvement, and the way they went from bundling a few-MB of Memory Stick flash to a full 1GB  -- I think they're feeling it out as a 'platform'/application and thinking about integrating it into a phone, which would probably have the applications you want on the phone side.  Of course, we heard all this during the last round of convergence hysteria, but these days the hardware is condensing that much faster than software can keep up, and with the race down to Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft, I don't think Sony will have a reason to ship an entirely new-and-incompatible handheld until developers actually take advantage of what they've provided here.  (See also: the gripes about compatibility between the PS2 and PS3 when they pulled the silicon out of the export versions of the latter, and the extraordinary longevity and profitability of the original Game Boy through its compatible incarnations.)  
At least, that's the excuse to use to keep your money in your pocket if you don't need a shiny but marginally-useful toy.

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 07:15:50 AM »
Hey guys.

yeah i got a psp with custom firmware 3.8m33 at the moment. Iv got a 16gb memory stick full of psp games, emulators snes full speed, genesis full speed, c64 full speed, and others, fine homebrew games and remakes. plus it plays ALL playstation 1 games. full web browser via wifi and all sorts of other goodies. it's awesome fun.
playing C64 games on it so great. the screen looks wonderful and it all runs beautifully.

however PSPUAE is still in development and i think the only thing that will speed up the develepment process is COLD HARD CASH!

so head of to http://pspuae.condor.serverpro3.com/
and give the team some money.

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 01:17:48 PM »

mikrucio wrote:

snes full speed

What snes emu are you using as snes sure aint full speed on my psp :(

Ni72ous

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87