Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How on EARTH do i get shapeshifter going?  (Read 16366 times)

Description:

Offline LeifernTopic starter

• Show only replies by Leifern
How on EARTH do i get shapeshifter going?
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:44:49 PM »
Hello,

I have been trying to get shapeshifter to install an OS for hours now and I have no idea what to do. I could really use some help! I have some 7.5 and 7.6 files (mostly .dsk and anpackaged files). I understand that I need a boot disk or something but I have no idea where to get one. Years ago I ran OS 8.1 on my 060 and I don@t remember there being any problems. Now I am just completely dumbfounded.

I am setting my system up in WinUAE, having connected my real amiga HDD. My amiga is an A1200 with an ACA1232/40mzh (noMMU). I am planning on getting an indivision.

All the guides I have read point to files that are no longer around (MACOS761.lha) or seem to assume knowledge that I sadly do not have. I would be extremely thankful if someone could help guide me through the setup process so that I can enjoy some mac emulation on my amiga again.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Re: How on EARTH do i get shapeshifter going?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 11:52:16 PM »
Thank you for the fast reply XDelusion, but I have already read the post and it doesn@t really help me at the point where i am now. I have set up the rom and prepareemul, I have done the Graphics setting in shapeshifter and i am ready to install macos onto a partition on my hdd that is to be a dedicated macos partition, but i have no idea how to install the OS.

EDIT:

Is it possible to use the hardfile from that post to copy the OS onto the partition?
(Please excuse me if I am being rudely ignorant here, but most of the Amiga knowhow that I had a few years ago is completely gone..)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 11:55:10 PM by Leifern »

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 12:00:03 AM »
Sorry, I'm not of much more help honestly, I've not experimented with Shapeshifter since I posted on that link I shared...

...and have formatted that Amiga's hard drive since then.

I'm sure someone will come around with the right answers .

Quote from: Leifern;765107
Thank you for the fast reply XDelusion, but I have already read the post and it doesn@t really help me at the point where i am now. I have set up the rom and prepareemul, I have done the Graphics setting in shapeshifter and i am ready to install macos onto a partition on my hdd that is to be a dedicated macos partition, but i have no idea how to install the OS.

EDIT:

Is it possible to use the hardfile from that post to copy the OS onto the partition?
(Please excuse me if I am being rudely ignorant here, but most of the Amiga knowhow that I had a few years ago is completely gone..)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 12:08:39 AM »
I have started from Cammys diskfile now and has my partition set up as a device. When to OS boots it asks if i want to format my partition and i say yes. It is a very slow process.. :P I would love to somehow copy the os from the diskfile onto the partition, as i have read that using an actual partition is faster then a diskfile, and my amiga isnt extremely fast. :)

And I must say that this diskfile is cool. Very nice work by cammy! One day I too will become a productive member of the amiga community. Mark my words! ;)

Offline amiman99

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 12:53:56 AM »
I'll give you one tip: Run your hardfile from CF card on PCMCIA port, it's super fast compared to FFS HD.
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
I do not have a cf pcmcia card so I won't be able to do that now, but I'll keep it in mind for future purchases.

What i really want to do is install/copy the OS to my partition.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »
A strange thing is happening all of a sudden: The mouse pointer is going crazy while on the mac side. I've tried restarting. It happened while formatting the partition and has been going since. Any ideas?

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 01:55:33 PM »
It could be easier use an existing hardfile.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 09:03:49 PM »
I guess i can keep using Cammys hardfile until i fully get my head around how this emulator works again. :)

Now I just have to get agaboost to work and install some games ;)

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 11:38:58 PM »
Ok, sorry for asking one more, possiblyy silly question:
How do i move files to the mac?

When using cammys diskfile i initializen my DH3: on the mac side, moved all the files over and rebooted without the diskfile. It worked! Now i boot from my partition, but i am unable to move files to the macside. I have moved mac-handler to the correct place, started shapeshifter and gone back to workbench and vlicked MAC from the machandler folder. "already mounted". My fh3 has always remained on the desktop, usable as an amiga hd. But it is now also usable on the mac side. No files from the mac side is visible on workbench and no files from the amiga side is visible in finder. Am i missing something?

Also, i am unable to get agaboost running. I am on an ACA 1232/ec 40mhz. Ive tried pal hires and laced, 256colors and refresh2 and 3. I feel stupid and would GREATLY appreciate any help or nods in the cirrect directiln.

Sorry for the spelling, i am on my phone and the keyboard is not agreeing with me.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 12:17:20 AM »
@Leifern

Hope you're writing all this down! :hammer: (for the rest of us...) :)
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline amiman99

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 02:22:47 AM »
MacHandler creates Icon on desktop with the same name as MacOS HD name, so make sure MacOs hd name side is different then your partition, I'm not sure if that's possible.
You could created hardfile to transfer your files and mount it as your second drive.
In the MAC handler icon's INFO, change the ToolType to ACTIVATE=2 and STARTUP=2
1 is for first boot drive, 2 is for the second.
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 02:55:37 AM »
Quote from: amiman99;765172
MacHandler creates Icon on desktop with the same name as MacOS HD name, so make sure MacOs hd name side is different then your partition, I'm not sure if that's possible.
You could created hardfile to transfer your files and mount it as your second drive.
In the MAC handler icon's INFO, change the ToolType to ACTIVATE=2 and STARTUP=2
1 is for first boot drive, 2 is for the second.

Thank you! I changed the name of the HD of the partition on both sides, rebooted and it actually worked. I don't understand how, but I was able to move some games over and decompress them. I even managed to boot into the OS using AGAboost. Everything is moving PAINFULLY slow, but it works. I don't see how it can be possible to play a game on this setup, but it is fun to have MacOS 7.6.1 running inside the Workbench.

I have seen people playing Wolfenstein on a similar setup to mine, but I was just barely able to get Masters of Orion crawling along.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 07:08:03 AM »
Try downloading a different rom, they may not be all compatible. I have a quadra 650 rom, it works with 7.6 and 8.0.
Go Go Gadget Signature!