Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS, Qemu, and booting on actual hardware after an ISO mod.  (Read 1253 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
AROS, Qemu, and booting on actual hardware after an ISO mod.
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:08:24 AM »
 Sorry to be flooding your forums here, it's just that I'm in a VERY Amiga (and Atari 8-bit) experimentational mood as of late. Not that I'm new to either, certainly not, it's just that I've not been able to keep up with them as much lately in life and it's nice to get back to where you came from every now and then, even if it is just komputers.
 Anyhow...

I set up AROS in Qemu, got a HD image off the net, installed to it, and all was well, until...

... I tried to copy over files to my new AROS virtual drive from within AROS. AROS did not like this much at all. Infact it took a few files, but afterwards I tried to copy over the file:

UDOOM.WAD 12,117Kb

...and Dopus acted like the file was 12Gb rather cause it just went on forever until finally I rebooted Qemu.

Upon reboot I tried to copy over my DOOM iWAD again, but this time the copy screen appeard and vanished real quick like nothing happened. Low and behold I looked on the AROS drive and infact nothing HAD happend. JOY! ;)

So I tried to copy Quake's ID1 directory, same thing, a copy progress window opened, then closed, as if the drive had write permissions turned off all of a sudden or something.

---

So I decide I am going to Modify the AROS ISO with PowerISO. I copy over some DOOM and Quake, then some goods to get E-UAE all up and running with plenty of toys just to see how good the AROS port is.

I copy over my stuff, my INFO files for all the folders, organize it all nice like and test it on Qemu to make sure it would boot, and it did.

So I figured I'd either atttatch my CF card, or wipe an old BeOS drive and dedicate it to AROS. Just to make sure all my junk worked I tried to boot it real quick (on real hardware).
 As fate would have it, the screen flooded with this message:

Loading State 1.5....

The end, that's my story, dunno what that 's all about, but it would have been nice to see AROS running on real hardware as opposed to some flakey VM. Any suggestions?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
Re: AROS, Qemu, and booting on actual hardware after an ISO mod.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 11:42:21 PM »
I find it hard to believe that no one in here has ever had this problem, or know anything about it.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 11:51:38 PM »
On some PC's Aros just won't run. It's been hit or miss for me.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 11:45:27 PM »
The thing is that it used to boot until I added stuff to the ISO, now it only boots in Qemu.

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 12:08:31 AM »
AROS dosent run on every PC config out there! {bleep} happens! either strip the pc or try on another one! if it worked before remove the new stuff or try another build! the aros team cant make sure AROS runs on every weird PC config thats out there.

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 02:19:09 PM »
Code: [Select]
The end, that's my story, dunno what that 's all about, but it would have been nice to see AROS running on real hardware as opposed to some flakey VM. Any suggestions?

Maybe your disk filesystem got corrupted (unvalidated) when Dopus crashed. Just boot up your virtual machine and press rAros+W, then type 'info' and press Enter into the shell.

Look at what Info is saying about your AROS: partition, if it's labeled as 'validating' instead of 'read/write', well... you can't write anything to it anymore. The worst thing about it, is that there isn't any FFS validation tool already available for AROS, so you have to format it and reinstall a fresher build of AROS (good thing). Don't use Dopus anymore, 'cos it is broken, but use Wanderer instead to copy files. It's safer.

And, well, take the habit of creating a SFS partition for your normal usage: it's more stable and less prone to unvalitation problems.

Or maybe just download VmwAROS from www.vmwaros.org, that's all you need for AROS in a virtual machine. You'll find also a link to an 'how-to' install VmwAROS on QEMU. Look in recent posts.
p.bes