Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cinemaware's Wings Remastered coming to Amiga NG platforms  (Read 20032 times)

Description:

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
Re: Cinemaware's Wings Remastered coming to Amiga NG platforms
« Reply #59 from previous page: February 06, 2018, 04:43:39 PM »
Quote from: Acill;835742
And nothing ever shipped.

I have been sooo close to ordering from them and now I’m glad I hesitated..

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2018, 05:37:52 PM »
This is a sad tarnish to the Cinemaware name.

guest11527

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2018, 05:57:15 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;835817
Using C++ as a better C or going the OOP road?
C++ is a multi-purpose language. OOP helps you to organize code, which is very useful for larger projects. No, OOP itself does not have a cost.

Offline kamelito

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2018, 07:48:38 PM »
Well many serious game developers don t like C++ like Mike Acton, Jonathan Blow, Casey Muratory...they even influenced young developers who created hand made network. Jon Blow is writing the Jai programming language to be a C++ replacement, another one (gingerbill nick) is writing a C replacement known as Odin.

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2018, 08:19:50 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;835822
This is a sad tarnish to the Cinemaware name.

Soon the name might be Mud.  Which is a very sad thing.  Though I do know someone who recieved their Defender of the Crown game from them.

Offline Daytona675x

• Show only replies by Daytona675x
    • http://www.goldencode.de
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2018, 08:32:04 PM »
@kamelito
I have seen that you are using C++ isn t plain C faster? Code generation and datas alignement aren t optimal in C++ except if you know your compiler and check what is produced no?
That's all myth and nothing of this is true. Thomas already said most, but let me add some more:

1. C++ has much more features to tell the compiler more closely what you actually want to achieve, which in turn helps the compiler to produce better code.

2. there are certain C++ features that are considered to be "slow". But in general, if you want to achieve the same in plain C you'd actually have to come up with sth. similar to what the C++ compiler would create for you automatically - and in 99% it is much more likely that the C++ compiler is better than you.

3. some C++ "special" features may result in significant overhead (e.g. RTTI or exceptions). But then again, see (2). I usually don't need those beforementioned two features and tell the compiler not to create support-code for them (original T57 uses RTTI, but it's actually unnecessary there, so I got rid of it for the Amiga versions).

4. Regarding alignment Thomas already said pretty much everything. However (and all of the following is true for both C and C++) it's often worth to take a closer look at what the compiler creates when it comes to your structures. Bit-fields, for example, may, depending on compiler, not be lay out as you probably hoped they would (which is why I usually implement those "manually").

Anyway, those are facts. C++ is without doubt the superior language and the generated code is in no way slower than a C equivalent would be, actually it is likely that the contrary is true if you use the features C++ offers wisely.
If you like C++ is a different question. Certainly you'll find lots of devs who dislike it. And you will find lots of devs who like it.

But who cares what others like or dislike.
I like it and I know how to use it to get real fast code.

Using C++ as a better C or going the OOP road?
C++ gives you the freedom to do chose any of those paths or just mix them.
AmigaOS 4.1 FE (sam440ep, sam460ex, X5000, Tabor,  R200 / RadeonHD), MorphOS 3.9 (PowerMac G4 733MHz R200), AROS (x86), A1200 (060 80MHz Indivision MK2), A600 Vampire2 / Furia, A500, CDTV
[Dev Videos][Facebook][Old Wings Development Diary]

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2018, 09:30:20 PM »
What? People in this day and age still preorder and prepay Amiga stuff and then are sad when nothing ever shows up? Have the last 20 years of vapourware and failed plans not taught you anything?

Offline Plaz

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2018, 03:31:10 AM »
As a one time cinemaware fan I considered a pre-order way back when. But I decided to follow my head instead of my heart and went against. With only a few hundred copies in the balance, it's hard for me to see a future here.

+1   "C++ gives you the freedom to do chose any of those paths or just mix them."

I started going off topic about the C vs C++ bit and decided it belonged in it's own thread.
Follow that bit here if you dare...

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=835851#post835851

Plaz

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2018, 09:31:17 AM »
Just received from Sven (mass emailed):

Hey guys,

first i have to apologize for the long silence. Within the last year i fully worked on different Cinemaware-Products often 24/7. Beside this i´ve got
some health issues which really hit me within december, after a short try of a vacation. At this i made the big mistake to keep complete silence after
i have recieved some anonymous threads against my person, really personal attacks and also two, also anoynmous, death threads (one via mail and within
fake order). This puts me complete on ground. But it´s really not a reason to not inform you. As annoucend the complete distribution will move to an
external shop from Dragonbox. I spoke with Michael, which also got with some of you in touch now and we will reorganize the shop within in the next 2-3
weeks. In this time the Cinemaware-Shop will be closed and no orders shipped. When all the material is moved to the store of Dragonbox we will ship the
boxes immediately. We use this time also to update the Versions of Rocket Ranger with an auto updater and also compatibility to High Sierra. For Wings
RE (Amiga) i will send you at Monday a different Mail with infos for shipping of Wings RE (Amiga). The game is still in development but we now have a version
that also got an auto-updater. In the meantime i will check also all open orders and will get in touch with you one after another.

Thanks again for your big support and for the most of you for the patience

Sven    

Offline Dr_Procton

• Show only replies by Dr_Procton
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2018, 11:57:46 AM »
I didn't receive this email from him. So I've no hope to get my defender of the crown collection (ordered and paid in 2016!!!). But if he received death threats maybe there are a LOT of people that, like me, didn't receive what they paid for. I think that this letter is a sort of new excuse to take time and not ship newly paid orders..

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2018, 02:14:17 PM »
Was going to order Wings.
No prizes for guessing that isn't going to happen now.

Offline PR

• Show only replies by PR
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2018, 05:20:09 PM »
Got the message. I apologised from somebodys threats, how stupid is that?

Get a life.

Maybe it's comming. Well if not, no more support. Simple as that.

Offline Pgovotsos

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2018, 12:41:58 AM »
I got that email also. I'm not sure that I feel good about getting an incomplete product and having to regularly update until (if) it ever gets completed. Reading the developer's blog it doesn't sound like it's at a playable level for the whole game. Looks like a lot of graphics assets, the intro and cut scene animations and the strafing part.

I hope that once (if ever) it is completed they will at least give us access to disk images for the final build. I, obviously, have no idea if they will be in business or have the update servers running the day after they complete the program. If I ever have to reinstall I'll be SOL. Not very cool, to say the least.

At least I got Defender a few months ago and it's pretty nice. If Wings does eventually get completed and at least to the same quality I'll be satisfied. Not particularly happy after all this time, but satisfied.

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2018, 02:06:22 AM »
I never even received Defender of the Crown.  I guess my order is waiting for full completion?  I dunno.  ISTR DoC was released on GoG in both the revamped and Amiga versions... I could be wrong about that but Imma gonna go look.

Yup: https://www.gog.com/game/defender_of_the_crown
I am not certain if this is supposed to be revamped PC or if it's a self-contained Amiga emulation.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:19:19 AM by LoadWB »

Offline Daytona675x

• Show only replies by Daytona675x
    • http://www.goldencode.de
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2018, 10:16:54 AM »
@Pgovotsos
@all

Only regarding Wings Remastered Amiga, of course:
Please read my previous statement .
To sum it up (and add some more for even more clarity):

- the current box contains an unfinished dev-build.
- it is meant for people who explicitly asked for it, which means they read and agreed to the text below which they should have received before (likely it will be inside the next update mail if you weren't contacted directly).
- if you did not get or not agree to that then you won't get such a box. When I gave that dev-build iso to Sven he had to promise me that he won't just send it out.
- it's no Kickstarter, it's a reservation and the money wasn't touched (at least I can say so for me, all time / work has been invested unpaid for now). If you don't want to wait any longer (and it will take some more time) then cancel your reservation.
- naturally you can't cancel anymore if you are one of those who agreed and got the dev-build-box.
- there are demo builds available that reflect the latest dev-state. Those builds are identical to the iso-builds with the difference that they are stripped down to 10 levels or so.
- forget my blog, I didn't update it for ages and most likely won't do in the future. It doesn't reflect the current state. Better check out the videos, Facebook-page or the demo-builds.

Here's the mentioned important.txt's english version:

IMPORTANT:

This is NOT the final game!
This is a in-development snapshot from 2018-01-05.
It is buggy and it is not done!
The AOS4 Compositing version is missing on this CD!
The respective renderer is being fully reworked right now.

This version is only meant to be some sort of pre-release
for fans and people who pre-ordered, who explitely asked
for it and who definitely know that what they get is not
the finished game.

However the game contains an online update mechanism which
will take care that you get the real final version
automatically once it's done.

Sorry that this project has become some sort of apparently
neverending story. But well, it is as it is. At least this
version should show you that not too much is missing
anymore.

Best regards,
Daytona675x
The game will be done when it's done. And this will be when I say so.
Really, further speculations won't accelerate that process or change anything.
It is as it is, I'm sorry for underestimating the workload that massively.

Cheers,
Daniel
AmigaOS 4.1 FE (sam440ep, sam460ex, X5000, Tabor,  R200 / RadeonHD), MorphOS 3.9 (PowerMac G4 733MHz R200), AROS (x86), A1200 (060 80MHz Indivision MK2), A600 Vampire2 / Furia, A500, CDTV
[Dev Videos][Facebook][Old Wings Development Diary]

Offline Rob

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2018, 12:13:58 PM »
Quote from: Dr_Procton;835944
I didn't receive this email from him. So I've no hope to get my defender of the crown collection (ordered and paid in 2016!!!). But if he received death threats maybe there are a LOT of people that, like me, didn't receive what they paid for. I think that this letter is a sort of new excuse to take time and not ship newly paid orders..

If he is turning everything over to DragonBox, hopefully you get your order after that.