Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaKit Named AmigaOne X1000 Distributor  (Read 7225 times)

Description:

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
Re: AmigaKit Named AmigaOne X1000 Distributor
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 05, 2010, 10:49:19 AM »
I spose running OS4 is something it can do "better" than a PC or Mac*, which is an objective in itself for some. Though it's not a huge advantage to the non-Amiga computing world.

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 11:27:30 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;556715

The AmigaOne X-1000 can only create a niche for itself if it can be shown to do something better or different than any competing computer, and that has not been demonstrated yet (I hope it will be shown).  Just running AmigaOS4.1 faster than a SAM or Pegasos2 is not going to be enough to make it a success.  More developers and software is a must, I agree!

Define success. Will it compete with cheap PC's? No.

But neither does Macs, and they still sell. My 350 GBP laptop is faster than 3-4 times as expensive Macbook Pro... Yet I can still see why people buy it: For the experience.

I'm not expecting the X1000 to give Apple a run for their money. But it doesn't take more than a few thousand sold units before it'd be a tremendous success for such a small community.

I want one for the experience; the X1000 got me "back in the fold" (currently with a Minimig + UAE on my laptop + AROS on my laptop, but waiting to get an X1000, and hopefully also either a Natami or FPGAArcade whenever they're ready...)

Don't underestimate nostalgia, btw. A large part of ex-Amigans are now in our 30's, with disposable income and closing in on midlife crises ;) My brother was over last weekend, and I handed him a retro pack from Amigakit as a birthday present and he told me he'd just been looking at Amiga stuff on Youtube the other day, by pure coincidence...

Keep in mind there are about 5 million ex-Amigans. If just 1% can be convinced to give a new machine a try, whether for nostalgia or other reasons, that's 50k. Even 0.1% is 5k. Some of us will be developers (I am).

The more competitive (in terms of performance) machines will come *if* machines like the X1000 and the new SAM 460 sells well enough. In the meantime Hyperion will keep bringing the OS closer to modern expectations. One step at a time.

Offline Britelite

• Show only replies by Britelite
    • http://www.dekadence64.org
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 11:43:44 AM »
Quote from: vidarh;556753

Keep in mind there are about 5 million ex-Amigans. If just 1% can be convinced to give a new machine a try, whether for nostalgia or other reasons, that's 50k.

And for 99.9% of those nostalgia would be playing the old games they played on their A500's, and the PPC-machines can't really offer them that. And the current incarnation of AmigaOS/Workbench doesn't look anything like the old 1.2/1.3 version, so no nostalgia there either ;)

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 12:39:14 PM »
Quote from: Tension;556697
Yes unfortunately it will require a lot more than crossed fingers.  It would probably require the complete liquidation of Microsoft, Apple, HP, Compaq, Dell, AMD and Intel.

Ah well.

Hmm, Compaq's gone.  1 down 6 to go...

Good luck and all the best to Amiga Kit and the X1000.

Gertsy
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 12:41:29 PM by gertsy »

Offline vidarh

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 02:21:35 PM »
Quote from: Britelite;556754
And for 99.9% of those nostalgia would be playing the old games they played on their A500's, and the PPC-machines can't really offer them that. And the current incarnation of AmigaOS/Workbench doesn't look anything like the old 1.2/1.3 version, so no nostalgia there either ;)

I'm not so sure. I'm a hardcore geek so I'm a special case ;) But my brother is not, and while he mostly played games, what he's been looking at again was the whole experience. He can play the games under UAE, but that was not enough.

And while AOS4 doesn't look or behave exactly the same, our memories tend to be rose-tinted too (it took me a while to get over the shock of just how primitive even 2.04 was when I got my Minimig set up...) but most of the things many of us *do* fondly remember are still there.

Anyway, even if you're right, as I wrote, even 0.1% is more than 5000 people.

Personally I think the potential is higher - many people are willing to spend a *lot* of money to get back that feeling of computing being fun. A PC doesn't deliver that.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 03:39:09 PM »
I don't know, I guess somebody had to try it to find out if there is a market.  My gut feeling is 5 to 10 thousand max hardcore Amigans left.  If you can sell that many X1000s it will be a success, I suspect theres a few hundred €'s profit in each machine, so lets take €250 as a found figure.  5000 units times €250 = €1.25 million.  Steve Jobs probably has a higher credit card limit, but for a small company that's not bad.  Enough to keep them in business anyway and maybe develop a the higher end machine that some want.

You have to crawl before you can walk after all.  I'm out, I've blown this years computer budget on my wife's iMac, a Mac Mini for the TV and an iPad, but get some apps and develop a true high end machine I might be in the market next year...

Quote from: vidarh;556766
I'm not so sure. I'm a hardcore geek so I'm a special case ;) But my brother is not, and while he mostly played games, what he's been looking at again was the whole experience. He can play the games under UAE, but that was not enough.

And while AOS4 doesn't look or behave exactly the same, our memories tend to be rose-tinted too (it took me a while to get over the shock of just how primitive even 2.04 was when I got my Minimig set up...) but most of the things many of us *do* fondly remember are still there.

Anyway, even if you're right, as I wrote, even 0.1% is more than 5000 people.

Personally I think the potential is higher - many people are willing to spend a *lot* of money to get back that feeling of computing being fun. A PC doesn't deliver that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline vidarh

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 04:56:22 PM »
Quote from: persia;556773

You have to crawl before you can walk after all.

I agree. And the thing is, *if* it manages to get to even 5k, there's bound to be some new developers deciding to release stuff, even if just because they enjoy it.

That's my excuse for starting to code for the Amiga again anyway, even if so far I'm just playing around - I do hope to release some small bits and pieces as time permits. My 350GBP laptop is faster than the X1000 will be, at a fraction of the cost, but my laptop is a *tool* where my old Amigas also were a fun hobby.

I don't take it'll take all that much to make it a sufficiently appealing platform to coax a few more people to take the leap at this stage.

In any case, I don't hold my breath for some massive resurgence, but we don't need massive numbers to have a viable platform for hobbyist use.

Lets for starters just hope the X1000 sells enough to make sufficient profit to start cutting prices and/or releasing one or more updated models to keep the newfound momentum going.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2010, 05:28:43 PM »
No, mass market isn't realistic, nor do they seem to be aiming for it.  If they could ultimately get their price/performance down to near Apple levels and get a few unique apps out there, I could easily see the rebirth of the cult of Amiga...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »
Quote from: persia;556773
You have to crawl before you can walk after all.

One of my friends children was born a year after the "release" of the first OS4 beta. That kid is not only walking but is almost ready for his first two-wheeled bike. Meanwhile people are still talking about OS4 crawling. Sad.

Anyway as far as AmigaKit goes, they've proven to be a solid vendor over the years and I hope this X1000 thing doesn't ruin them. I too wonder where the warranty support on the X1000 will come from, though it's not an issue for me.

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 05:57:47 PM »
Unfortunately the high price one has to pay to use Amiga OS4 (combined with the not so impressive hardware) has forced me to seek cheaper alternatives, which is why I have a PowerMac waiting for Morphos.

Pity.

Offline Mulle

• Show only replies by Mulle
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2010, 05:17:41 PM »
Amiga never deserved its end, may almost been complete annihilated but it just wont die. I am grateful for the comeback of a new high end machine, even if it may not look like a power beast, Amiga has a few cards to play. Windows pc's need more power to operate for each year and it also look like they trying to copy Mac's UI ontop of that. Amiga isnt much like the others, if it can prove its use of hardware and stability this just might work. Most critical thing about the Amiga is its price. If it cost more then MAC I doubt it will float on the software ocean to break its way back. This summer will get really intressting, thank you X1000 and Amigakit, i will be waiting!