Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whta's wrong with Suska's price?  (Read 1412 times)

Description:

Offline gaula92Topic starter

• Show only replies by gaula92
Whta's wrong with Suska's price?
« on: June 28, 2012, 01:48:02 PM »
Hi there,

I was googling for other fpga implementations of the true home desktop computers (those in the 80's mainly) and I found about Project Suska (http://experiment-s.de/en/).

The man seems to be selling a 100% reimplementation of an Atari ST(E) and even Falcon computer, wich is tempting as hell. I'd have got one without thinking. But... Look at the price, for God's ****! 600 Euros?? That's insane.

So, is this a typo? Someone here got one of these Suskas? Is the price somehow justified? (Not getting one at that price anyway, just out of curiosity).

Offline tone007

Re: Whta's wrong with Suska's price?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 02:50:38 PM »
Sounds a whole lot like the Natami thing.  Would your feelings be the same if the Natami were 600 euros?
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline gaula92Topic starter

• Show only replies by gaula92
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »
Quote from: tone007;698242
Sounds a whole lot like the Natami thing.  Would your feelings be the same if the Natami were 600 euros?

Heh, my Amiga vein would betray me in that case. I got poisoned with the Amiga very soon when I was a kid so I can't think reason when it comes to new Amiga hardware.

But I don't quite see your point: it seems limited to Atari ST & Falcon to me. It doesn't seem any faster or usable: the Natami idea was to take the old Amiga desing and make it as fast as possible while keeping compatibility with old software to a degree.
On the other hand, this Suska thing seems to be an Atari ST or Falcon at best (now that's not bad at all, but it's not the same as the Natami idea, by no means).

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 05:13:44 PM »
Quote from: gaula92;698235
Look at the price, for God's ****! 600 Euros?? That's insane.
So, is this a typo? Someone here got one of these Suskas? Is the price somehow justified? (Not getting one at that price anyway, just out of curiosity).

I'd imagine that the price has been there for a while. I don't see the alleged "Tiny" version of the board on the store site... It's his choice what to choose for price, and we don't have to like it.

What is more cool is the VHDL is open-sourced. Port it to FPGA-Arcade...
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »
If you consider manufacturing, development time and the amount of people who would actually be interested in this if it even cost a fraction of that price, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 07:40:23 PM »
People tend to blow off how much low quantity electronics cost to produce, but it really is outrageous.

If you only have moderately good relationships with a company, more than 4 layers to the board and only do small numbers, it will cost you a ton of money.

You also have to pay for the prototypes you wasted getting the design nailed down.  Those boards in quantity 25 or less can cost a ton each and be completely useless.

I'm really impressed with how low the price on the replay board is, he's clearly got good funding and relationships with the manufacturer. (now if they'd ever be available for sale!!!)