Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sneak Peak on the next AROS Vision with Magellan  (Read 7169 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3Topic starter

Sneak Peak on the next AROS Vision with Magellan
« on: July 27, 2013, 12:06:02 PM »
I am now working on the transition from "Wanderer" to "Megellan" as Desktop. Thanx to the help our 68k genius PeterK and his icon library Magellan now perfectly works on AROS 68k. I hope to finish next version in the next two weeks.

Below screenshot showing Button bar and the two different views of Magellan (Icon/Text)

Offline nicholas

Re: Sneak Peak on the next AROS Vision with Magellan
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 12:18:36 PM »
I'm going to dedicate a partition to your distro on my A3000/060 with Picasso IV Olaf.

How does it perform on real hardware compared to UAE?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 12:33:28 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;742611
I'm going to dedicate a partition to your distro on my A3000/060 with Picasso IV Olaf.

How does it perform on real hardware compared to UAE?

that is something Wawa can better answer. From what he told becomes AROS 68k usable with Magellan (because the slow Wanderer is removed). AROS 68k is still slower in some areas (f.e. memory management). I did some benchmarks on UAE to compare and it seems that the cybergraphx routines are (partly) slower too. But I hope that using Magellan will mean a major step ahead (both functionality and speed)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 01:37:11 PM »
Great work! Keep it up!

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »
@Olaf

There will soon be a bugfixed Magellan that has proper 64-bit math routines for the proper calculation of large hard drive sizes, available space, etc.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 02:05:53 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;742622
@Olaf

There will soon be a bugfixed Magellan that has proper 64-bit math routines for the proper calculation of large hard drive sizes, available space, etc.

Thanks for Info. Xenic has told me that there are still errors on OS3 so he recommends to stick with SASC version. The new version will propably be available at end of august and I will of course use it as soon as possible.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »
Your configurations sounds good. It should be usable there.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 03:27:15 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;742614
that is something Wawa can better answer. From what he told becomes AROS 68k usable with Magellan (because the slow Wanderer is removed). AROS 68k is still slower in some areas (f.e. memory management). I did some benchmarks on UAE to compare and it seems that the cybergraphx routines are (partly) slower too. But I hope that using Magellan will mean a major step ahead (both functionality and speed)

Have you tried Scalos with it at all?  I vaguely remember that Scalos was faster than Magellen on 3.x machines.

Also, I'm wondering if the TLSFmem patch and StackAttack2 from aminet are compatible with AROS 68k?  TLSFmem should give it a real speedboost if it is compatible.

Would I need to install a 68060.library or does AROS come with it's own?

Also I wonder if thor's MMULib package would work with AROS 68k too?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »
new (small) updated. I just tested OWB (AROS Edition)

It works (with Javascript disabled)

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 03:31:43 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;742638
Have you tried Scalos with it at all?  I vaguely remember that Scalos was faster than Magellen on 3.x machines.

Also, I'm wondering if the TLSFmem patch and StackAttack2 from aminet are compatible with AROS 68k?  TLSFmem should give it a real speedboost if it is compatible.

Would I need to install a 68060.library or does AROS come with it's own?

Also I wonder if thor's MMULib package would work with AROS 68k too?

Scalos worked but only with JIT disabled (the reason why I never used it). If it is faster (or not) is not known to me. Magellan seems pretty fast (expecially when using it in filemode). StackAttack2 is already in my distribution, 68060 and MMULib are in (MMU works at least in Emu but only when JIT disabled). TLSFMem functionality is integrated in AROS 68k already.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 03:36:45 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;742639
new (small) updated. I just tested OWB (AROS Edition)

It works (with Javascript disabled)

Very nice! :D

Quote from: OlafS3;742641
Scalos worked but only with JIT disabled (the reason why I never used it). If it is faster (or not) is not known to me. Magellan seems pretty fast (expecially when using it in filemode). StackAttack2 is already in my distribution, 68060 and MMULib are in (MMU works at least in Emu but only when JIT disabled). TLSFMem functionality is integrated in AROS 68k already.

Thanks for the info.  I'll make sure to install MMULib and MuRedux as I have an 060 and it will probably fall over without them.  If it doesn't work I will try it with the 68060.library, CyberPatcher and TagLIFE from Phase5.

Have you considered using the opensourced dos.library and scsi.device and a few other 68k replacement OS components that are on EAB from Don Adan and others?  User mfilos here on this forum will be the best person to talk to about those projects I think.

Also I will try my registered copy of the 060 optimized HSMathLibs to see if they work on AROS 68k and report back to you.

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;742643
Very nice! :D

Thanks for the info.  I'll make sure to install MMULib and MuRedux as I have an 060 and it will probably fall over without them.  If it doesn't work I will try it with the 68060.library, CyberPatcher and TagLIFE from Phase5.

Have you considered using the opensourced dos.library and scsi.device and a few other 68k replacement OS components that are on EAB from Don Adan and others?  User mfilos here on this forum will be the best person to talk to about those projects I think.

Also I will try my registered copy of the 060 optimized HSMathLibs to see if they work on AROS 68k and report back to you.

thanx. I am always grateful for feedback. Opensourced? I thought they have reassembled the original libraries and I am a little cautious when I integrate such components.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;742646
thanx. I am always grateful for feedback. Opensourced? I thought they have reassembled the original libraries and I am a little cautious when I integrate such components.

I think like PeterK'k icon.library there is no CBM code left in some of those replacements as they've also been modified heavily now.  I'm not certain though so it's probably best to ask the authors of each one.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 04:08:29 PM »
Also, may I make a suggestion for you to ask Ken for permission to use his famous 'Ken's Icons' set as the default icons set in AROS Vision as it would make look a bit more like a genuine Amiga OS.  Although that's just my subjective and aesthetic opinion of course. :)

http://www.five-star.com/icons.htm

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 07:12:36 PM »
two updates

hotkeys added...

Now I am working on file types with context menues. Here example "lha"