Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Installing Amiga OS4.1 Classic Final Edition on Amiga Forever  (Read 3977 times)

Description:

Offline Dr. ChefTopic starter

• Show only replies by Dr. Chef
Hello. I'm having issue trying to get Amiga OS4.1 to install on Amiga Forever. I've followed the instructions on the Amiga Forever website, however, when I finish installing, I eject the CD after reboot, and then I get a message stating I need to put in the CD. I don't want to reinstall the OS, or boot as a live CD. Ejecting the boot floppy gives me an error stating: "Not a DOS disk in device DH0".

Here is a rundown of what I did. I copied the Amiga 4000 PPC desktop from Amiga Forever and renamed it to Amiga OS 4.1. After that, I created a 2GB hard disk file. Then, I added the boot disk and Amiga OS 4.1 install CD ISO. After I saved my work, I ran the desktop and installed the OS. After installing, I rebooted and ejected the CD, but then I'm given a message stating I need to put in the CD, however doing that will boot the cd. Ejecting the boot floppy will give me an error that I mentioned before about not being a DOS disk.

I don't know why its not working, but I would like some help. Thank you.
Computers
iBook G4 - OS: MorphOS 3.9
Amiga 500 NTSC (512k ram + 512k a501 trapdoor) - OS: WB 1.3
AMD FX-8350-8core - GTX 970 SC - 16GB Ram - Asus sabertooth 990fx r2
 Jesus is my king.

Offline Minuous

Re: Installing Amiga OS4.1 Classic Final Edition on Amiga Forever
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 05:57:31 AM »
Why not ask Cloanto? They are the ones profiting from it, they should be the ones supporting it.

Offline smf

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 10:33:40 AM »
Where is the instructions on how to install?

I'm not familiar with amiga forever or how they suggest how to install it but the message "Not a DOS disk in device DH0" gives me reasons to think that you have not installed the file system in the rdb?

Offline smf

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »
So what you need to do is:  go to media toolbox .
Select you'r amigaos4 bootpartition and click add, remove or edit filesystems.
Click add and select the filesystem you are using on you'r bootpartition (i hope you are using smartfilesystem?) ? the filesystems are located in L: btw. and the dostype is 53465300.

Save the changes and now you hopefully should be able to boot from you'r os4bootpartition.

Offline AmigaBruno

• Show only replies by AmigaBruno
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 05:24:14 PM »
Sounds really interesting! Let me know how you get on. What are you planning to do with OS 4.1? I don't think I could afford the hardware to upgrade my Amiga A1200, let alone an Amiga X1000 or X5000.

Offline Dr. ChefTopic starter

• Show only replies by Dr. Chef
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 08:25:27 AM »
Quote from: smf;809302
So what you need to do is:  go to media toolbox .
Select you'r amigaos4 bootpartition and click add, remove or edit filesystems.
Click add and select the filesystem you are using on you'r bootpartition (i hope you are using smartfilesystem?) ? the filesystems are located in L: btw. and the dostype is 53465300.

Save the changes and now you hopefully should be able to boot from you'r os4bootpartition.

I've followed your instructions and got the same issue. I changed the dos type to exactly what you typed, but I can always try a 2nd time.
Computers
iBook G4 - OS: MorphOS 3.9
Amiga 500 NTSC (512k ram + 512k a501 trapdoor) - OS: WB 1.3
AMD FX-8350-8core - GTX 970 SC - 16GB Ram - Asus sabertooth 990fx r2
 Jesus is my king.

Offline pjhutch

• Amiga user and developer
    • Show only replies by pjhutch
    • http://www.pjhutchison.org
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 09:54:45 AM »
I recently wrote some installation instructions for Installing AmigaOS 4.1 on Winuae or Amiga forever. To boot you have to use the Bootfloppy.adf image supplied on the AOS 4.1 CD, and it will boot and run the installation from the CD.

http://www.pjhutchison.org/uae_install_wb41FE.html