Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Voodoo4500 as fast as Voodoo5500 in an Amiga?  (Read 1448 times)

Description:

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Is Voodoo4500 as fast as Voodoo5500 in an Amiga?
« Reply #14 from previous page: March 06, 2007, 09:33:35 AM »
@LawlessPPC
Which is the best card to run on morphos on a1200 grex

I have no experience with GRex or Voodoo cards myself, but according to someone with a clue, Voodoo 4xxx is the best price  / performance ratio (aswell as heat / performance, and system real estate / performance). 5500 is quite a monster card.

Offline d0pefish

• Show only replies by d0pefish
    • http://lavaburn.com
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 01:51:21 PM »
Does the Voodoo 4/5 series have drivers for 3D under AmigaOS3.x as well as MorphOS?

This for the G-Rex rather than Mediator.

Offline keropi

• Show only replies by keropi
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 02:18:27 PM »
the answer is HERE
on the G-Rex support site by DJBase!

Offline Kin-Hell

• Show only replies by Kin-Hell
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 06:30:42 PM »

stopthegop wrote:
I have all three cards, Voodoo3, 4, and 5.  The one I prefer is the Voodoo4.   I get best performance using this card with some weird tweaks.  For one thing, I do not have any of the "envarc:mediator/" environment variables set at all.  I have the directory there, just no files inside.  With the Voodoo3, I can't get it to work unless certain of these variables are set.  The Voodoo4 doesn't seem to care one way or another as long as I have "Devs:Monitors/Voodoo" pointing to "Libs:Picasso96/Voodoo.card".  Also, I have been able to overclock the Voodoo4 successfully, whereas the other two cards do not like this tooltype.   The Voodoo5 also gets very hot and the display is unstable after several hours.  The Voodoo4 can run forever and not overheat, even with "overclock=yes" tooltype set.   P96speed gave best results with the Voodoo4 as it is currently configured.  i.e. with no Mediator environment variables.  

The Mediator has a Window Size Jumper, depending on which Voodoo card u use. Voodoo 5500 setup on the Mediator driver Install demanded the bigger 512Mb Setting on the Mediator. Is this due to the amount of RAM on the Voodoo card being used?
Getting 0lder is Mandatory..... Growing up is an option.

Offline Tatsu

• Show only replies by Tatsu
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 11:37:01 PM »
I used a voodoo5500 for a little while, since the voodoo3000 was horribly slow when switching between screens because of the low videomem. With the higher amount on the 5500, the screenswapping became lightning-fast again. But any increase of speed, in other areas, I surely didn't notice. And to take benefit of the higher amount of videomem I had to let Warp3D go.
And the most anoying thing was when I rebooted my amiga, the mediator suddenly did not detect my voodoo5500, and I got no video output. The only way to get it to function was to turn the Amiga off and on. Then it was detected again until the next reboot. This seems to be a common problem, and Elbox claims it to be either bad contact of the mediator and the CPU-slot or a Mach-chip. I finally got really annoyed and took my whole A1200 apart and cleaned every contact with alcohol, but to no vail. The voodoo5500 behaved as before. I tried to switch back to my old voodoo3000 again, and right away my amiga worked like a dream again, except the switching of screens offcourse  :boohoo:
A1200T PPC/060 Voodoo5 SD/FF
A2000 Blizzard 060 CV/3D