Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Gorky 17" for MOS  (Read 4204 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringpersonTopic starter

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
"Gorky 17" for MOS
« on: December 27, 2003, 12:53:26 AM »
Why?

I want Gorky 17, not for Linux, not for AmigaOS 4, but for MorphOS.  I am curious as to why I can't have it running on my MorphOS machine?

I want that game!

I love RPG and strategy type games!

(This is not a troll. I am not trying to troll, or start a flame war here, I am posting only because I am curious as to why this wont be on my favorite platform)

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
Re: "Gorky 17" for MOS
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 01:09:13 AM »
Probably because Hyperion is willing to push their own baby, OS4? :)

Like selling games in this community is profitable anyway.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 01:22:35 AM »
"... am curious as to why I can't have it running on my MorphOS machine?"

Who said you can't ?! All that need to happend is  someone geting a license to port it for MOS and do the port. What's the problem with that?
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 01:33:48 AM »
thats not hard, all you need is MONEY and people to port it .
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 01:37:39 AM »
Lempkee: agree..  Hyperion don't own any monopoly there..  Not to that game nor to any other game that matters.

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 02:45:22 AM »
yeah asking hyperion to port gorky 17 is like asking apple to port macos to x86. wont happen cause they will lose hardware sales or in hyperions case OS4 sales and amigas case Amigaone sales.

hyperion = no.
anyone who has money and wants to = yes
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2003, 04:30:40 AM »
yeah asking hyperion to port gorky 17 is like asking apple to port macos to x86. wont happen cause they will lose hardware sales or in hyperions case OS4 sales and amigas case Amigaone sales.

No one is making the choice between OS4 and MOS based on the availability of Gorky 17.

Offline frankb

• Show only replies by frankb
    • http://www.frankbrockway.com
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003, 07:09:28 AM »

iamaboringperson wrote:
Why?

I want Gorky 17, not for Linux, not for AmigaOS 4, but for MorphOS.  I am curious as to why I can't have it running on my MorphOS machine?

I want that game!

I love RPG and strategy type games!

Hyperion only have a license to port the game to AmigaOS 4 and Linux. They would have to get a license to port it to MorphOS, and I don't think thats going to happen any time soon.
\\"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.\\" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Ross_Geller

• Show only replies by Ross_Geller
    • http://lee.rowson.co.nz/
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2003, 09:32:59 AM »
@Mongo

Gorky17 may not be the sole reason for a person choosing  OS4 over MOS, but it could be a contributing factor.  After all, software availability is important for a platform to become viable, and even more so in such a small market with a direct competitor.

Also, certainly by the sounds of this thread, if Gorky 17 isn't ported then Hyperion and Eyetech may be making a few more sales than if Gorky 17 was ported to all platforms.
\\"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us\\"

Offline JoannaK

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2003, 11:48:16 AM »
Ross: My wish for this all is that If people only would bother to read Reviews of the game before hypeing so much.. Gorky 17 is four years old game that was never any hit, not excellent, nor even real good... Just average among thousands others..  

I do understand that on minimall selection (games to OS4) it may well be among top 3 ... but it ain't making it great game instantly. I really would like to see those people analyzed who are honestly claiming that they are going to purchase a new 1000Euros machine to run a  port of 5-year old and average quality PC-game.   :-o

What I'd rather see is Divine Divinity port from Epic.. It is much better RPG in it and it was woted among best RPG.s on year ago.  Sure.. it's not among *THE* big hits either, but on it's case it has more to do with lack of marketting than weakness of game itself.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2003, 04:23:26 PM »
Agreed to a certain point. At the moment ANY game isn't worth releasing for classic Amiga, NG Amiga, nor Pegasos. IMHO to have any new game running on any of the mentioned platforms is more show of good faith than making real business.

Frankly I don't understand the meaning of this thread at all. If it makes sense, it will be ported to MOS. But that is somewhere in the future. And if not, it's not.. hardly end of life as we know it.

Offline Ross_Geller

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2003, 06:42:41 PM »
@JoannaK

Don't worry, I wasn't actually hyping the game (although I'm not certain how you came to that conclusion).
I was trying to point out that in such a small market anything can sway a perceivable percentage of the community, so that Gorky 17 could actually help affect A1 sales, thus trying to show that Mongo's view was flawed.  I have no interest in Gorky 17 in any way, it's purely one more software title that could help sway a person towards the A1/OS4 rather than Pegasos/MOS.

I will admit that I was careless with my final sentence, I don't know how I got it into my head that there was more than one person in the thread who seemed very eager to lay their hands on a copy of the game for an amiga.

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2003, 07:58:02 PM »
Gorky17 may not be the sole reason for a person choosing OS4 over MOS, but it could be a contributing factor.

No.

Also, certainly by the sounds of this thread, if Gorky 17 isn't ported then Hyperion and Eyetech may be making a few more sales than if Gorky 17 was ported to all platforms.

No, it sounds like Hyperion will be making less sales of Gorky 17.

Offline JoannaK

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2003, 08:44:31 PM »
Ross: It was not targetted to you (alone).... I'm just amazed how many people around Amiga are so detached from reality. Be it dicsussion about games, having Opera browser, or remaking old hardware for Retro.use.

Like this idea of yours of someone actually purchasing Amigaone for playing this Game.. With price of Aone one can have game console (any 3 major brand one likes) and at least fifteen brand new Hit games.  And considering that plenty games favorably comparable (age/quality) to this Gorky are available as discount (or re-releases) with pricetags around 20 Euros.  

For example .. I got PS2 game Zone of the Enders unused/unopened 10 Euros from local supermarket. It's not among top-10 PS2 games but has nice playability and good 3D Gfx for a game released couple years ago (2001).

I can't say about others, but to me: Game must be decent to justify purchase at all.. and real good before I bother to spend 40 or 50 Euros to it.   And no... havign it to some exotic name-platform ain't that important.

Offline Ross_Geller

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2003, 10:41:49 AM »
JoannaK:
Like this idea of yours of someone actually purchasing Amigaone for playing this Game

You make it sound as if I was saying they would buy an AmigaOne solely for this game.  My idea is that this game may be what tips the scale between buying an AmigaOne, a Pegasos or something else entirely.  Please note that I'm not saying that the scales are balanced before we add Gorky 17, merely that it's the little extra nudge the consumer may need to consider the AmigaOne the option for them.  I would use an analogy, but that could get dangerous!

Most of us simply don't have the option of buying a new platform for just one game (no matter how great the game is), so I would never advocate such a thing.  However, a platform that offers a good OS, good apps and some good games is much easier to consider purchasing because its utility will be far greater.

And no... havign it to some exotic name-platform ain't that important.

It would be important to those already owning an exoticly named platform and can't afford the money or space for a console.  They're the troublemakers here ;-)

(I hope this time my views are clearer, it's always impossible to tell until someone else reads it :-) )