Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $39.99!  (Read 29527 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $39.99!
« Reply #404 from previous page: April 18, 2013, 12:21:52 AM »
I'm glad to hear how many of you like this.
But I still don't want it.
I've stopped at Win7 and use MorphOS more then anything else.

Pretty soon, I really won't have much use for Windows other then Netflix.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Honkybear

• Show only replies by Honkybear
« Reply #405 on: April 18, 2013, 12:24:37 AM »
One word "no" BTW persia you have flies on you screen you crazy aussie.

From one crazy aussie to another :laugh1:
A600 ,ECS, ACA620EC ,A604
Mini MAC 1.42Ghz Morphos 3.3

Offline nicholas

« Reply #406 on: April 18, 2013, 02:46:59 AM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;713225
Wow.  I'm really sorry to hear people have such a difficult time with Linux.  Mounting an ISO image has been a simple task for a very long time and it certainly was not broken in Ubuntu 9.10.  It sounds much more likely the ISO was corrupt, or in fact not an ISO at all (perhaps a zipped ISO without the .zip extension?).  Regardless, I'm sad to hear it was a world of frustration for people.

Regarding the comments on Gimp - I don't understand any of the criticisms.  I wasn't a Photoshop user, instead I migrated from Degas Elite (Atari ST), to Deluxe Paint (Amiga), to Paint Shop Pro (Windows) to Gimp (Linux).   The path wasn't at all painful and I can still switch between Gimp and PSP with very little frustration (basic tools, layer windows etc are all very alike).   Are you sure it's not Photoshop which breaks the convention? I've heard people say Photoshop has a learning curve and can be difficult to get started with - I have no personal experience here.

My surprise at defending Linux on an Amiga forum?  Perhaps I should have worded that as my surprise people are so pro-Windows on an Amiga forum.   The reason I felt so at home in Linux was due to years of experience with the Amiga.   Amiga (AmigaDOS?) to Linux (BASH) seemed a natural progression, certainly a lot more natural than Amiga to Windows.  

If anyone needs any Linux support please feel free to poke me.

+1

In ~20 years of using UNIX/Linux both personally and professionally I've never had any problems to speak of. It does exactly what I tell it to do and nothing more.

Windows on the other hand........
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #407 on: April 18, 2013, 03:12:00 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;732249
In ~20 years of using UNIX/Linux both personally and professionally I've never had any problems to speak of. It does exactly what I tell it to do and nothing more.
That's really great for you, but it doesn't mean a thing to those of us who have had issues with it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Bif

• Show only replies by Bif
« Reply #408 on: April 19, 2013, 12:19:27 AM »
I am quite happy to hear Windows tablets are failing miserably. I normally wouldn't care too much about this as the market will sort itself out and I don't have to buy one, but in this case I can personally feel MS throwing their weight around with money headed towards developers in a way that affects me personally. And then there is all the relentless sickening advertising.

For example, my local TV station also has a site for streaming all the content. They've had an iOS app for years so you can watch on your iOS device. No surprise there given the market share. I always hoped for an Android version as I'm an Android user. The day Windows tablets rolled out, lo and behold there was a Windows tablet version of the app (that all 0% of their users could enjoy), and there's lots of advertising on the site about it. I'm sure MS sent a heap of money to the TV station - and I don't even have a big problem with that, but I have a feeling that probably came with the catch of telling the TV station they would be less than pleased if the leading market share device, Android, had an app made available.

Then when I do watch the shows, I'm treated to Sherlock Holmes staring at a "Windows Start" or "Skype" screen for 10 seconds with a dumbfounded look. It's so idiotic it makes the shows ridiculous. And then all the streamed commercials are about Microsoft. For me, it just makes me not be able to stand it all, I'd never buy an MS product that spends so much time annoying me.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #409 on: April 19, 2013, 02:01:06 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;732250
That's really great for you, but it doesn't mean a thing to those of us who have had issues with it.

I don't know how to drive a motor vehicle either, that doesn't mean my push bike is a superior method of transport.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline psxphill

« Reply #410 on: April 19, 2013, 02:49:40 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;732244
You're that much more future-ey than the ignorant masses for using the newest version-of-Windows-nobody-wanted.

It's not future-ey, the ignorant masses have been told to hate Windows 8 so hate it they will. OTOH they have been told to love Apple stuff.

People make up their mind first and then alter their perception to match. You don't even know that you're doing it.

Windows is not the only operating system, but it's the only one that I can be bothered to run these days & I like installing new things.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #411 on: April 19, 2013, 03:44:51 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;732250

Easy fellas!  We done been down this road before :lol:

Offline nicholas

« Reply #412 on: April 19, 2013, 04:11:32 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;732321
Easy fellas!  We done been down this road before :lol:

Heheh :)

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #413 on: April 19, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
Been using Win 8 since it launched.

Got rid of all the Metro/Modern UI crap.  Boots into desktop by default, much faster than W7 did.  Functions as well as W7, with the extra perks W8 brought on the desktop side.  W7 was stable, but W8 is bulletproof thus far for me.  I do not see the Metro/Modern GUI at all at any time on this machine.  It is not rocket science to get rid of the Tiles.

Would I recommend you buy an OEM version of W8 to replace W7 on your current PC?  No.  She's still heavy on cramming the tiles experience down your neck by default, and unless you are willing to get rid of that on your own time you will find the mix and match Desktop and Tiles experience jarring.  It's not for everyone.  Either is stinky blue cheese, but I'm not picketing cheese shops - I simply don't eat blue cheese :)

I know it is common sport around here to riff on MS, but can't help but feel the vast majority of people slagging the product off are the same guys that used to slag off MS-DOS when the Amiga came about and we tried to do the "mouse envy" superiority act on the pee cee guys.  Reminds me of the old platform pissing matches we had in the day, when we actually had a foothold as Amigans.  We don't have that foothold anymore.

It was dumb then, and it's dumb now.  Use what you like, but for God's sakes - don't comment about things you haven't even tried.  Worse yet, don't buy into Press Mentality.  Find it odd here that the ones screaming the loudest are the types still denouncing Tablets, like they are a flash in the pan.  Just because you don't see value in them, doesn't change reality.
Throwing on an Amiga shirt and spitting at old Apple and MS flags doesn't change reality.  Love Amiga for what is it - a real fun hobby alternative.

I'd be happy to sit here and tell you everything I hate about Windows 8, and why I don't recommend you buy it at any price unless you know what you are doing.  I'd also be happy to sit here and tell you how, now that I have it tweaked, how I am very happy with it.

Offline polyp2000

• Show only replies by polyp2000
    • https://soundcloud.com/polyp/sets/polyp-2013
« Reply #414 on: April 19, 2013, 10:39:38 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;699032
a) if you have an intel graphics chip then set then save the following in a .reg file and execute it

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
"Display1_DownScalingSupported"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{511F09E3-0635-4B11-B689-B08C00A0DF4E}\0000]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{511F09E3-0635-4B11-B689-B08C00A0DF4E}\0001]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\Display\igfxcui\igfxtray]
"ShowOptimalBalloon"=dword:00000000

Then you should be able to set the resolution to 1024x768
you won't be able to set the resolution to anything lower than 1024x768 with the standard resolution setting, so you'll need some way of switching back to your native res. Mine is an ASUS and there is software for switching the res using the keyboard which works fine.

It's very likely that you'll give up on metro and stick with your native res.

b) I never have anything suspend when closing the lid. Even on windows 7 I have problems suspending, plus I often leave things running and close the lid to protect it while carrying or shoving it under the sofa. I always have it set up as:

close lid: do nothing
power button: shutdown
sleep button: hibernate

Hah ... i guess you still have to do all that registry **** even on the latest version of windows. Count me out - ill stick with my Linux boxes thanks!