Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $39.99!  (Read 29746 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $39.99!
« Reply #389 from previous page: November 15, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »
I just wish I could turn off the legacy desktop in Windows 8, it just looks so 20th Century....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #390 on: November 16, 2012, 10:19:06 PM »
They really should have forked the OS, with one version having only Metro UI (Windows Media Consumption Edition), and the other having the classic desktop (Windows Functional Edition).

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #391 on: November 17, 2012, 03:59:20 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;715214
They really should have forked the OS, with one version having only Metro UI (Windows Media Consumption Edition), and the other having the classic desktop (Windows Functional Edition).

Great idea!
Personally Metro is going to keep me away from this one.

I'm now down to two netbooks for Windows.

Everything else, two desktops and a notebook are OSX or MorphOS.
Haven't bothered to put the Hackintosh together, even though I've got the hardware and copies of Snow leopard, Win7, and Parallels.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline persia

« Reply #392 on: November 17, 2012, 06:48:26 AM »
The Metro name was a code name during development.  The UI doesn't have a real name other than Windows 8.

Calling Windows 8 Metro is akin to calling Windows 7 Vienna or calling Windows XP Whistler...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #393 on: November 17, 2012, 08:45:55 AM »
Quote from: persia;715285
The Metro name was a code name during development.  The UI doesn't have a real name other than Windows 8.

Calling Windows 8 Metro is akin to calling Windows 7 Vienna or calling Windows XP Whistler...
Right you are, that's clearly a very crucial distinction. I suggest that, in the future, we refer to the Officially Nameless Windows 8 Interface as "AOL Circa 1996."

You were right, that sleek new look is much less (ugh!) twentieth-century than the Win95 UI. By a whole year.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:51:05 AM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #394 on: November 17, 2012, 07:41:54 PM »
Quote from: persia;715285

Actually, Metro was the official name of the UI until MS got sued.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #395 on: November 17, 2012, 07:45:45 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;715341
Actually, Metro was the official name of the UI until MS got sued.

Yepp it was. So ill keep calling it Metro UI.

Offline persia

« Reply #396 on: November 17, 2012, 10:33:09 PM »
Microsoft always uses code names, the last four versions of Windows were Whistler, Longhorn, Vienna and Metro, none of them ever were official names of anything.  None of them were used after the commercial release of the OS.

Actually Commodore did the same thing, the A500 was referred to as Rock Lobster....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 10:36:29 PM by persia »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #397 on: November 17, 2012, 11:06:15 PM »
Quote from: persia;715356
Microsoft always uses code names, the last four versions of Windows were Whistler, Longhorn, Vienna and Metro, none of them ever were official names of anything.  None of them were used after the commercial release of the OS.

Actually Commodore did the same thing, the A500 was referred to as Rock Lobster....

In August of 2012, rumors began circulating that one of Microsoft's retail partners, German company Metro AG, had threatened legal action against the software giant for infringing on the "Metro" trademark. A memo was sent out to developers and Microsoft employees to stop using the term "Metro" until a replacement term is established or the legal case is settled.[21] Microsoft is temporarily referring to the design language as Modern UI.[22] On August 9, 2012, it emerged that Microsoft was planning to use the term "Windows 8" to replace Metro in consumer marketing materials. The "Modern UI" term appears to be intended for developers who plan to build software based on Redmond's new design principles

Metro is the style, now due to above reasons it's called Modern UI for devs.
So Modern UI or Metro who cares? Let people say metro for the UI if they want.

So metro was NOT the codename of the entire OS as longhorn etc where for others, it was indeed what the new UI was called until quite recently.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:10:02 PM by som99 »

Offline persia

« Reply #398 on: November 17, 2012, 11:34:27 PM »
And there you have it the UI and OS are Windows 8, that's what they are called, plain and simple.  Microsoft probably could have worked out a deal with Metro AG had they wanted, but it simply wasn't worth it for a codename, so they dropped it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #399 on: November 18, 2012, 12:01:48 AM »
Quote from: persia;715361
And there you have it the UI and OS are Windows 8, that's what they are called, plain and simple.  Microsoft probably could have worked out a deal with Metro AG had they wanted, but it simply wasn't worth it for a codename, so they dropped it.

First off, no one said that the entire os was called metro.
The new UI was called Metro but changed name to modern UI.
So if people say they disslike Metro they are ofc talking about Modern UI as it was called Metro UI.

So let people say they disslike Metro UI since it's semi right and everyone know what they are talking about when saying it.

Of cource the new UI is a part of Windows 8 but the UI alone is NOT Windows 8 since the entire OS and it's components are Windows 8.

I do not understand why you argue about this?

Tell me then what should people call the new UI part that is not the desktop?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:36:35 AM by som99 »

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #400 on: November 18, 2012, 08:11:46 PM »
Quote from: gaula92;698879
Ufff... Microsoft sofware makes me feel sick.

It's been seven years since I last had a Windows computer, and I will NEVER go back to that world of bloat, virusses, malware, registry nightmares, slowness, fragmentation and uglyness.

Linux covers my daily needs: it runs on my Pandaboard ES silent fanless computer wich boots in seconds with it's TI kernel. It's free, fast, light and secure. If I'd still be using Windows **** after all those years I'd feel pretty idiotic.
Other OSes I use are Amiga OS (on minimg, fpga-arcade) and Risc OS (on the Pandaboard ES, too).

WHY on earth would anybody use Microsft Windows these days? No, seriously: Lubuntu is SO easy that even my parents use it every day and I didn't have to teach them a single thing! Using M$ **** is nonsense.

The only Micro-**** software I run is...well, MSX-DOS on my Altera DE1 home-made MSX2+ computer :D
And it'll remain like that.

If I only had M$ Windows to choose from, I'm sure I'd leave computers for good.

Someone here clearly thinks API/ABI alzheimers and dependency hell is ALL THAT...

I personally don't give a damn about OSs anymore because they all are designed according to a vision within which there are no users, but prisoners (and I'm not referring to security). I happen to run Windows because it accompanies the damn PC I buy and because it's less of a discomfort than anything else "usable" !

EDIT:

And, I'm not planning to use W8, for apparent reasons.

EDIT 2:

(replaced "schizophrenia" by "alzheimers")
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:17:02 PM by Einstein »
I have spoken !

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #401 on: April 17, 2013, 10:28:28 PM »
So, you know how I was saying that Windows 8 was going to make Vista look like a success? Well, gosh golly, check this out: Windows 8 adoption rates are trailing at about 55% of Vista adoption rates, month-for-month.

Oh, and you know that whole tablet market that this was a last-ditch attempt to break into long after iOS and Android had firmly established themselves as the only games in town? Yeah, that's not working out so hot.

Bravo, Microsoft, you are truly visionaries.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline psxphill

« Reply #402 on: April 17, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;732240
Bravo, Microsoft, you are truly visionaries.

They were, they had tablet products before apple were cool. Their execution hasn't really worked out, but they tried.

I'm still running Windows 8 on my 4 year old laptop and it's running better than 7/vista/xp.

I don't miss the start menu at all & never use metro.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #403 on: April 17, 2013, 11:59:35 PM »
Well good for you. You're that much more future-ey than the ignorant masses for using the newest version-of-Windows-nobody-wanted.

And yes, they did have tablets before Apple did, and nobody wanted them then, either. Perhaps somewhere in the years and years of failing to make this work, they should have taken a lesson from their years and years of failing to make this work.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:18:09 AM by commodorejohn »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #404 on: April 18, 2013, 12:21:52 AM »
I'm glad to hear how many of you like this.
But I still don't want it.
I've stopped at Win7 and use MorphOS more then anything else.

Pretty soon, I really won't have much use for Windows other then Netflix.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"