Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Forum Moderation Techniques  (Read 15223 times)

Description:

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
Re: Forum Moderation Techniques
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2004, 06:08:36 PM »
Yeah, thanks...

I think I can decide what is helpful for someone or not when mud is just being slung for three pages on end. If you think that would be useful to anyone, why don't you take up moderating elsewhere and see how well your ideas on the subject do for you. I'll continue to trust my judgement and liase with the other AO staff.

And anyway, it would hardly be the end of the world, if I locked a thread, and the original poster requested that I unlock it because they were finding the discussion useful!

I am not talking about that thread so could you forget it aswell. Couldn't care less about its destiny and it was ok it got locked.

no, you really can't decide what is helpfull for me.. unless of course you are a psychic.

Offline Ryu

• Show only replies by Ryu
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2004, 06:15:13 PM »
agreed no one person can say what is and what isnt okay for another person. But one person who is in a position where they have to make educated guesses to keep the majority happy will need to assume what is best for the greater majority.

Lets not forget folks we are all human and we all make mistakes. Personally I think this is all getting spun way out of control for no real reason other than what must be misunderstandings.
Yours
Darren aka Ryu
-----------------------------
www.IntuitionBase.com
My Amiga 1200 webserver

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2004, 06:16:26 PM »
ryu:if posting the truth is getting involved , hell then i dont see why we have moderators, if i hadnt interveined then the guys who have no clue whould have belived that the pegasos was 3 times cheaper than the amigaone in retail.

Moderators get criticised (sometimes justifiably) for posting their opinion, then taxing an axe against posts/users who disagree with them.

Typically I try to stay out of threads which I feel will get silly and need moderation, even if I have an opinion that I'd like to state.  I try to stick to one or the other.  Occasionally I do get involved and state my opinion, then ask other moderators if they would mind keeping an eye on the thread (leaving the invitation open-ended as I don't want to sway their opinion as to what needs moderating).

@ everyone

(unrelated to answering lempkee's post)

If you deem it necessary to criticise a member of AO staff, please e/pmail either Kees or another moderator.  Telling someone they shouldn't/can't do their job to their face is likely to be taken offensively.

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2004, 06:19:56 PM »

Hooligan_DCS wrote:
Yeah, thanks...
I think I can decide what is helpful for someone or not when mud is just being slung for three pages on end. If you think that would be useful to anyone, why don't you take up moderating elsewhere and see how well your ideas on the subject do for you. I'll continue to trust my judgement and liase with the other AO staff.
And anyway, it would hardly be the end of the world, if I locked a thread, and the original poster requested that I unlock it because they were finding the discussion useful!

I am not talking about that thread so could you forget it aswell. Couldn't care less about its destiny and it was ok it got locked.
no, you really can't decide what is helpfull for me.. unless of course you are a psychic.

If you really don't think I am doing a decent job as a moderator, voice your concerns privately to another member of AO staff.  The other AO staff will discuss it, and if they feel I'm in the wrong, I'll leave.  Or you could just leave.

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2004, 06:25:16 PM »
yeah now i feel like the black cat...

thanks for that.

anyway all i where saying is that moderators should post facts / links in such cases and tell the poster who where fudding to check his sources.

nah but what the hell i am just a troll..

anyway i never aimed anything towards individuals with this, maybe that was a bad thing but i like to tell them over pm if they went over the line etc, i am just sick and tired of hearing about trolls (obviously i am one ;( ) destroying this forum/site , and i just pointed out what the moderators should do to fix it, i didnt tell them to jump in and type PERSONAL stuff, just a link or reference or maybe even a quote.

i am outta this thread.
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Brian HoskinsTopic starter

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2004, 06:32:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Firstly, I am not blaming moderators for the trouble that develops in some threads.  Moderation isn't the cause of trouble, it is the result of trouble.

I agree that the locked thread in question HAD gone completley off topic, leaving only mud slinging and bickering.  But the frustrating thing is, I wasn't interested in the silly mud slinging and bickering - I actually wanted to contribute to the original discussion.  To all who participate in this kind of sillyness, all I'll say to you is please stop - it ruins things for the rest of us.  If someone starts trying to bait you with a snide comment, just ignore them.  If troll-posts were ignored, they'd never have the chance to grow in the first place.

I was unaware that moderation techniques were limited by the software used to run the website.  It'd be great if the trouble makers could be singled out instead, it's a pity that.  Maybe a warning should be issued to people who persistently cause problems because these kinds of things ruin it all for the rest of us.

Thanks again

Brian

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2004, 06:34:54 PM »
anyway all i where saying is that moderators should post facts / links in such cases and tell the poster who where fudding to check his sources.

Anyone can make mistakes though.  A moderator accusing a poster of lying would look like a biased moderator, not a moderator who's made an honest mistake.  Or the original poster might have made an honest mistake.  I have my personal opinions on what the angles were in that thread, but I can't and shouldn't say what they were.  Bear in mind also that I read that thread in hindsight, I'm not sure how I missed it TBH.

nah but what the hell i am just a troll..

To my knowledge you haven't trolled before, and I'm interested in your opinion.

While I disagree with it :-)

And really when I made my "@ everyone, unrelated to replying to lempkee" comment, that really wasn't aimed at you in the slightest!

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2004, 06:36:51 PM »
If you really don't think I am doing a decent job as a moderator, voice your concerns privately to another member of AO staff. The other AO staff will discuss it, and if they feel I'm in the wrong, I'll leave.

Please can you quote me saying you weren't doing a decent job as a moderator?

Also I said in this very thread I have nothing against how moderation has been handled here. Locking up the thread was an ok thing to do.
The ONLY thing bothering me is your attitude about this,  as I explained before.

Or you could just leave

That I will do when I see fit.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2004, 06:41:28 PM »
It'd be great if the trouble makers could be singled out instead, it's a pity that. Maybe a warning should be issued to people who persistently cause problems because these kinds of things ruin it all for the rest of us.

You are correct..that would be good.   Another site (car enthusiast) site I post on, is moderated more strictly.  Sending Pmails to offenders will be a start, locking them out will be another option.    I'm just a very tolerant individual and I believe it gets the best of me as I've never locked a thread until now nor issued warnings.  Well, its in the best interest of YOU the user for me to do so.  Might make me quite unpopular, but hey, thats what I'm here for!

-Alex
TheMagicM
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline lempkee

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2004, 07:01:11 PM »
mikeymike: i had to get back in here and do another post as i noticed one thing that havent seen before .

"the lying part" , honest to god i doubt there is many around who do that on purpose , and as someone allready posted earlier, people do make mistakes and sometimes severe ones! , mostly this happen in so called "Vs" threads or infact even in emu threads but i dont jump in and say its a lie, i just try to point them back and i know i am abit rough in my posts sometimes but thats mostly because of my english + sometimes my head is on fire.

also as an direct answer to your last post here,

[/quote] Anyone can make mistakes though. A moderator accusing a poster of lying would look like a biased moderator, not a moderator who's made an honest mistake. Or the original poster might have made an honest mistake. I have my personal opinions on what the angles were in that thread, but I can't and shouldn't say what they were. Bear in mind also that I read that thread in hindsight, I'm not sure how I missed it TBH.
[/quote]

we all do make mistakes, i dont know everything and sometimes i feel i am forced to intervien to guide the guy who has a question or one who said something i dissagre with so i try to atleast point him to facts about the topic.

since i am not a moderator (and i am too biased to be one , and thats MY own opinion)
and seeing that the moderators who knows this actually (or should in my opinion) doesnt intervien with the actual thread/topic makes me look like an question mark.

i think (honestly) that i have misunderstood the whole "moderator" ranking , but note one thing and its surely something you guys know allready, posters with "HUGE" postcounts and / or a moderator label is infact the posts i (+others) check out closely, and by that i dont mean i look for "bad things or errors etc" , its just normal to seek the highest rated user in many occasions!

anyway as i said earlier , i pm the ones trolling and ask them to either stop or explain whats going on , and sometimes i do it in the threads (if its a hot topic) .

cheers

ps:its damn hard to be unbiased in the amiga community theese days, either ur a uae , amithlon, classic , amigaos4 , morphos or aros lover , everyone thinks its funny (it seems) to jump in and write "What i like the most" in every thread there is an option to do so, imho thats the most annoying feature with our community atm.

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2004, 07:05:52 PM »
Hmm.. People, a site like amiga.org has to cater (sp?) for several different minded people; they have to moderate in the interest of the common good, not just 1 poster (IE the original poster of a certain thread).. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one; or the few. With 3 "factions" all on the same forum this is really difficult.

As for if it is a moderators job for telling user's you're wrong and supply them with links. AFAIK, they are not paid to do this, I doubt they would find the time to hunt around for these links.. Similar as like Wayne stated before; "We don't have time to search for news every hour, we need you to post the news.."

Lots of people her complain about the moderation level at Amigaworld, but as most people agree it is for Amiga OS4 or the classic machines mainly, AROS and MOS aren't important to most of them..

Maybe a "report this post" button can be implemented, tho I feel that's more like a "mommy mommy, those men aren't playing nice" type off button...

LAstly, I do believe a lot of misunderstanding can be avoided if when a threat is locked the moderator who does that also leaves a message of why it is locked, even if it is obvious..
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline restore2003

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2004, 07:06:19 PM »
This may sound drastic, but how about MorphOS/Peg as a new forum category? Would solve many issues wouldnt it?  
If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2004, 07:08:27 PM »
Girls, Girls!!! Please don't fight!

Tempers are running high. Think before you post!

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2004, 07:22:57 PM »

Offline lempkee

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2004, 07:33:15 PM »
i never said moderating was an easy job nor thing and i never said they got paid for it, i just say what i EXPECT them to do to reduce trolling and fud, we all know wayne has been rather annoyied about it and so on.

was just a tip.

put it like this, i do it now when i am a normal non moderator, but i only do it for what interests me and my people (biased in other words) , but as a single person vs hundreds is not really fun, i am not mad because of the thread beeing closed, i didnt even notice tbh!

wayne:ps , i dont go to ann.lu unless i am guided by others , i had to do this a few days ago because some lamer posed as me on there. (have no idea for how long its been going on)
but yes i looked at your post and heh i was here when that guy posted his requests also, it was rather funny and lame (of him)

cheers

« Reply #44 from previous page: February 03, 2004, 07:41:12 PM »
@lempkee,

Moderating is not an easy job.  If this were the Amiga community of 9, even 5 years ago, it wouldn't even be necessary.   Moderation in this bitter community has unfortunately become a necessary evil.  There are simply those amongst us who have begun to believe that this site (and others) are theirs to abuse at will.  This is running off the intelligent and helpful posters.

As I said in another thread, something has to be done, even if it's closing the Talk About forum.  I'm still open to realistic suggestions.

Wayne