Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Outsiders view of Amiga Community  (Read 3319 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Re: Outsiders view of Amiga Community
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 11, 2003, 07:08:26 PM »
@ kd7ota

The platform is Pegasos.  The OS is MorphOS.

If you don't know anything about it, then surely you shouldn't be venturing an opinion on it?

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2003, 07:43:15 PM »
And another thread down the toilet...

How long ago was this ???

Ah well..
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2003, 08:35:48 PM »
Dear Mikeyamiga,
Why would you want to restart an OS once again?  Do you really think its going to dominate over Micro$oft?  Just stick to either PC, MAC, or Linux.  PC hardware costs much less. I wont want to be buying a $800 cpu form software hut for my Amiga 1200 that is a G2 at 233mhz. There is just no way I will ever do that. My brother is going to buy a 2.4gig Pentium 4 that will dominate with its DDR ram, while Amigas now are stuck with old SIM.  Yes, Amiga is a really great OS, but it would be the greatest of them all if it was ported over to x86.  And no, I dont want to hear flames back at me. Its the truth, is PC hardware much cheaper and better performing. Imagine having a ATI Radeon 9700 fully supported for AmigaOS and having ATI doing the drivers. That would be the day.

Your friend,
Strongbad.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2003, 12:18:54 PM »
@mips

Glad you have joined the rational debate again:

thats his exact quote... I believe he was referring to both Peg and A1 as dead newborns and not just A1...however you chose to vent antisentiment at Peg2 calling it 'vapour' and whatnot... when it has no bearing on this whatsoever...you can call anything vapour...

Oh and maybe not. Maybe you need to read what I put again, I quote:

Sure we KNOW the A1 is "expensive" but the as of the moment vapourware PegasosII ain't been released yet.

Which means what it sayes on the tin. We KNOW the A1 is expensive but until the vapourware PegasosII gets released at a LOWER price point its all we got.

But of course, being mips looking for a fight, you decided to twist it in your own head into being anti-Genesi. This is what I find beneath contempt. You then have the cheek to start laying into me!

Just because you LIKE everything Genesi related and BELIEVE in their ability to deliver does not make Pegasos II anything less than vapourware at the moment or the release of projected prices as being anything other than marketing.

Hate figure. :lol:

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2003, 02:09:19 PM »

kd7ota wrote:
 Imagine having a ATI Radeon 9700 fully supported for AmigaOS and having ATI doing the drivers. That would be the day.

Don't want to ruin your day, but MorphOS has 2D support for Radeon cards up to 8500 (and somewhat beyond), and Radeon support for OS4 is evolving nicely too. Having 3D is just a matter of time as well.

Both AmigaONE and the Pegasos uses (except the motherboard and the CPU) cheap PC hardware parts.

And are VERY fast even on mediocre HW by today's standards, compared to either Win/Mac/Linux, even when 68K emulation is involved.

AmigaOS sure have drawbacks, and it takes effort and time to eliminate them, but on the other hand it has an excellent, I dare to say unmatched architecture.

IMHO of course :-)

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2003, 02:51:11 PM »
Who is Mikeyamiga?

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2003, 02:58:43 PM »
how does pegaso2, its price, its not bieng released right now have ANYTHING to do with that guys opinon that the A1/Peg are pieces of sh*t ?... nothing... it's just you useing this as an excuse to spew antisentiment... anyone who didnt spot that is either blind or on your side...

Offline DaveP

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2003, 03:38:13 PM »
I just explained it for you mips. If you didn't have your anti-DaveP blinkers on when you read it you would see it. If I replaced the word "vapourware" with "unreleased"  and had the nickname Warface you wouldn't have batted an eyelid ;-)

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2003, 03:57:04 PM »

DaveP wrote:
I just explained it for you mips. If you didn't have your anti-DaveP blinkers on when you read it you would see it. If I replaced the word "vapourware" with "unreleased"  and had the nickname Warface you wouldn't have batted an eyelid ;-)

Vapourware has negative connotations, unreleased just means unreleased.  You know this as well as I do Dave, you're not thick.

Compare the following sentances

“ The AmigaONE motherboard is sold to run Hyperions vapourware product ‘AmigaOS4’ ”

“ The AmigaONE motherboard is sold to run Hyperions as yet unreleased product ‘AmigaOS4’ ”

Which one would make you pissed off? It's all in the wording.

I think that is the point mips is trying to make, and I think you do too. :-D

Offline DaveP

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2003, 04:12:53 PM »
Of course I know what his beef really is, but he had to throw in all that easiy contended extra BS ;-) :-P

If hed have said "Hey don't call it vapourware that is an overloaded phrase which I find offensive" Id have said "ok then".

However the price of the Peg2 I consider in the "too good to be true" container so I am more cynical about it coming into being at that exact price PLUS the main point was about how expensive the A1 was PLUS it had your laughing smiley around the most A1 critical point. Hence vapourware more likely to come from my lips ;-)

:-P  :-P

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2003, 04:35:57 PM »
However the price of the Peg2 I consider in the "too good to be true" container so I am more cynical about it coming into being at that exact price

You can already buy a Peg 1 for $299.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
Re: DaveP, the Troll
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2003, 05:30:59 PM »
by DaveP on 2003/6/11 8:17:18

Its a retaliation game, yes. Abso-bloody-lutely.

What an interesting way of saying your a troll.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.