Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon  (Read 37019 times)

Description:

Offline trekiejTopic starter

Re: Amithlon
« Reply #119 from previous page: February 26, 2015, 04:47:29 PM »
Rtg and Ahi should help quite a lot.
I can not answer the rest.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2015, 07:10:46 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;785471
isn't it possible to remove all HW supports from UAE to make it faster?
Kamelito

The only way to make UAE compete with a polished Amithlon system, is to buy a PC with a FAST CPU and FAST Front Side Bus.  That is to say, faster than what your Amithlon machine is. ;)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2015, 11:28:50 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;785484
The only way to make UAE compete with a polished Amithlon system, is to buy a PC with a FAST CPU and FAST Front Side Bus.  That is to say, faster than what your Amithlon machine is. ;)

BTW Pascal is uploading a new version of AMINUX right now (hopefully up tomorrow). It is a linux distribution directly jumping in FS-UAE with newest version of Aros Vision and running from USB-Stick. It is of course not running as fast as Amithlon on supported hardware but it runs on newer (and thus faster) hardware and it is a full UAE environment.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2015, 11:38:24 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;785497
BTW Pascal is uploading a new version of AMINUX right now (hopefully up tomorrow). It is a linux distribution directly jumping in FS-UAE with newest version of Aros Vision and running from USB-Stick. It is of course not running as fast as Amithlon on supported hardware but it runs on newer (and thus faster) hardware and it is a full UAE environment.

Hurray, more Amiga toys!!!!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2015, 12:52:57 AM »
Great to know that Aminux is still available.

Offline SnkBitten

• Amithlon Fanatic
    • Show only replies by SnkBitten
    • http://amithlon.snkbitten.com
« Reply #124 on: February 29, 2016, 03:21:28 AM »
I've put together a number of Amithlon systems from boxed systems (HP, Dell) to home built PCs (AMD and Intel) to even Oracle Virtualbox setups (with USB, AHI sound and Networking functioning).

The original AmigaOS XL CD has a pretty old kernel and isn't the best at testing system compatibility.  I'd suggest building a new CD with kernel 3.10 in place of emubox.gz.  Some SATA support (usually in Legacy mode) and more video card support.  

I personally have had better luck with Kernel 3.10 than Kernel 4, though one motherboard I had really liked Kernel 4, even allowing the built in NIC to be at 1 Gb.  Kernel 4 does add more support for NICs, Video Cards and such so it depends more on the system.

As for speed, Amithlon is BLISTERINGLY fast.  In comparison my Windows 10 PC is an i7 3.5 Ghz with 32 GB of ram running WinUAE (A4000 setup, JIT enabled, fastest possible) gives a SysInfo v4 resutls in dhrystones of 64 times a real A4000.  My Amithlon PC using a e8600 Core2Duo 4.0 Ghz (3.36 overclocked) results in dhrystones of 235 times an A4000.  Plus it's on a nice 1680x1050x32bit display that screams (hardware accelerated Nvidia FX5500 PCI).

My latest "project" has been Amithlon on a laptop.  I'm typing this post using NetSurf on a Dell Inspiron 5150 running Amithlon....over WiFi..  PIV 3.0 ghz, 768 MB ram, 80 GB HD, AHI audio, USB and WiFI :)  The motherboard wired NIC works with Kernel 3.10 and so does a mini-pci wireless nic I picked up with Prism2v2 drivers.   Unfortunately graphics are VESA unaccelerated but still, 1280x1024x32 bit works well on the 15" display.  
Supported motherboard featues:
Wired Nic (Kernel 3.10 drivers)
Audio (AHI)
USB (Poseidon)

I can see other Dell systems from around the same time period being good base candidates.

I'm working on an updated list of hardware that works so any who can offer what has worked for them, please let me know.  I want details (motherboard and chipset, what worked or didn't, etc..).  

Oh...tip another user at EAB discovered.  Install Poseidon v3.8, then ArakAttack and configure and see if it works.  If successful, install Poseidon v.4.4 on top of your 3.8 install and it will remove the license requirement (since 3.8 required a key and 4.4 was open sourced).  It has worked on pretty much every thing I've tried, including Virtualbox.

Offline SnkBitten

• Amithlon Fanatic
« Reply #125 on: February 29, 2016, 12:47:50 PM »
For anyone interested, if you have a laptop with a mini-pci internal connector, this card works with the Prism2v2 drivers allowing wireless internet.  I have a Dell Latitude C610 and a Dell Inspiron 5150 and both of these have the same type mini-pci internal connector.

IBM ThinkPad T30 802.11b Wireless Modem Card Intel M3AWEB56GA 91P7215 26P8520.
[ATTACH]4828[/ATTACH]

« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2016, 04:53:24 AM »
Thanks for the post.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2016, 08:54:35 AM »
Quote from: kamelito;785471
isn't it possible to remove all HW supports from UAE to make it faster?
Kamelito

It depends on what you want to still work.

Draco did away with most of the chips, but still had the CIAs because exec multitasking relied on it. But if you replace that code then yeah you don't need to emulate any hardware. Just make all the code talk to the native pc hardware.

How much faster is another matter, once you remove the HW support from UAE then you're not left with much and it might be easier and produce better results to start from a different direction. A 68000 JIT using LVVM would be pretty cool.

Offline SnkBitten

• Amithlon Fanatic
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2016, 04:08:37 PM »
I know of lot of the information (and even posts) are old regarding Amithlon but since I've just started using it the last few months it is of high interest to me.

I've been working on a guide on installing Amithlon
http://amithlon.snkbitten.com/files/install/snkbittenguide.html
which is a published Google Doc which is updated as needed and contains pictures and animated.gifs to walk through installing Amithlon.

What I'm looking for now is what hardware people have had success with installing/running Amithlon.   I'm looking for detailed aspects more than it booted.  Ie...motherboard, motherboard config (ram, ide, sata (sata in native or legacy mode), did Audio work, NIC work, what graphics card (accelerated or vesa).  

I'd like to add this to the install guide so others can have a reference of what works and how well.  A good motherboard can be one that has enough PCI slots to accommodate PCI cards for sound, video, network and/or TV cards, etc... while an excellent motherboard may be one that supports sound and network with an AGP or PCI slot for the video card.

I know there is a released list with chipsets and all that are supported but I'm more interested in the actual motherboard models that work.

Examples....some I've tested

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L MB - Socket LGA775 (3 PCI slots)
Chipset Type Northbridge: Intel® P35 Express - Southbridge: Intel ICH9
IDE (kernel 3 & 4)
SATA (kernel 4)
USB

Motherboard:
ASUS A8N-E  MB - Socket 939 (3 PCI slots)
Chipset Type NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
IDE (kernel 3 and 4)
USB
NIC - 1 GB

Motherboard:
GA-MA790FXT-UD5P  MB - Socket AM3 (2 PCI slots)
Chipset Type - North Bridge: AMD 790FX - South Bridge: AMD SB750
IDE (kernel 3 and 4)
SATA (kernel 3 and 4)
USB

Video Card:
Nvidia FX 5500 PCI 256 MB (hardware accelerated)
Nvidia FX 5200 PCI 256 MB (hardware accelerated)
Nvidia PCX5750 PCIe 256 MB (vesa mode)

Nic:
Realtek RTL8139D 10/100 Mbps PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
IBM ThinkPad T30 802.11b Intel M3AWEB56GA 91P7215 26P8520 MINI-PCI (laptop)

Sound:
Soundblaster Live PCI

Or Systems:

Dell Latitude C610: - Laptop
Onboard Audio, USB, IDE, NIC
Video (vesa)
Mini-PCI slot

Dell Inspiron 5150 - Laptop
Onboard Audio, USB, IDE, NIC
Video (vesa) (Radeon 9000 or Nvidia FXgo5200)
Mini-PCI slot

You don't have to be as detailed but the more the better.

You can just list what video card you used and if was hardware accelerated or what sound card you've used, etc..

Thanks.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2016, 06:11:51 PM »
The Dell C510 also works, with Gary's kernel. If you add all the contribs, the video chipset works, without vesa modes. Never got Wifi to work, though. Also, the Dell C610 works with the original kernel.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2016, 06:15:27 PM »
Quote from: SnkBitten;804891
For anyone interested, if you have a laptop with a mini-pci internal connector, this card works with the Prism2v2 drivers allowing wireless internet.  I have a Dell Latitude C610 and a Dell Inspiron 5150 and both of these have the same type mini-pci internal connector.

IBM ThinkPad T30 802.11b Wireless Modem Card Intel M3AWEB56GA 91P7215 26P8520.
[ATTACH]4828[/ATTACH]

Oooh. Thanks. How did you get this working? the C610 and 510 are basically the same. I have a 510.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline SnkBitten

• Amithlon Fanatic
« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2016, 06:36:16 PM »
Quote from: Methuselas;805531
Oooh. Thanks. How did you get this working? the C610 and 510 are basically the same. I have a 510.

Plug it in, download and install Prism2v2.lha from aminet, fire up Genesis Wizard and add a new adapter, choose Prism2 device and set it up like a regular adapter.

I used a static IP address like the internal wired nic (one number higher).  WPA2 killed speed, WEP would be faster but my router doesn't support WEP.  I set up a guest network with internet access only and left it open and it connects  and works.

Offline SnkBitten

• Amithlon Fanatic
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2016, 06:42:16 PM »
Quote from: Methuselas;805530
The Dell C510 also works, with Gary's kernel. If you add all the contribs, the video chipset works, without vesa modes. Never got Wifi to work, though. Also, the Dell C610 works with the original kernel.

My Dell C610 is using "builtin" which is the same as vesa.  You have to attach a board in Picasso96mode to get the accelerated graphics and it only presents "vesa-1" as the board (which will not be accelerated).  My tower Amithlon presents "nvidia-1" as the board and has full hardware acceleration.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2016, 10:09:01 PM »
Quote from: SnkBitten;805532
Plug it in, download and install Prism2v2.lha from aminet, fire up Genesis Wizard and add a new adapter, choose Prism2 device and set it up like a regular adapter.

I used a static IP address like the internal wired nic (one number higher).  WPA2 killed speed, WEP would be faster but my router doesn't support WEP.  I set up a guest network with internet access only and left it open and it connects  and works.

Perhaps if you ask Neil Cafferkey if he would compile the Prism 2 driver with the i686be compiler it wouldn't be so slow as it would be using native x86 code?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline SnkBitten

• Amithlon Fanatic
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2016, 10:39:48 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;805541
Perhaps if you ask Neil Cafferkey if he would compile the Prism 2 driver with the i686be compiler it wouldn't be so slow as it would be using native x86 code?

Hmm...good idea.  It was slow....slower than 300 baud modem slow.  I almost thought it wasn't working.