Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: XBox 360 vs. PS3  (Read 2902 times)

Description:

Offline TheMagicMTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
XBox 360 vs. PS3
« on: October 17, 2007, 03:29:54 PM »
So christmas is coming up.  I'm buying a 1080i tv for myself (LOL) and want to get my son a XBox 360 or a PS3.

If I have 2 games, they are the same one for each system, which will have the better graphics?

If I dont care about blue-ray, which system is better for my son?
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: XBox 360 vs. PS3
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 03:33:57 PM »
At this present moment in time Xbox 360 wins hands down.

Personally I dont really see that situation changing , thought it might.

I could list the reasons, but im sure they will get listed throughout the course of the arguemnts about to start on this thread  :-D
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 03:36:25 PM »
360 seems to have the current edge. A bigger games library, wider acceptance due to the 3 skews, and 1 year headstart. PS3 may make a dent this year with the $399 skew but be advised you have to get the 80 gig PS3 for backwards compatiblity where the XBOX only required a hard drive. Another option is getting the 20 GB model PS3 off ebay. IT's cheaper and has the full backwards compatibility. That's what I did and it's great.

Offline roguebeck

• Show only replies by roguebeck
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 03:38:48 PM »
I think the xbox360 right now seems to be the winner based on the games I've seen.

The games look so good that I'm thinking of junking my only Windows PC that I have, since it's only used for gaming anyway.
A500 - A501, Supradrive 500XP
A3000
A1200
C64 - TSR Gold Box AD&D games forever!

Always looking for parts, mods and upgrades!

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 04:08:45 PM »
I have also been thinking xbox 360, but now I doubt.
Because of the red ring of death, which seems to occur quite often. Also, many xbox games will be released on the ps3 sooner or later.
Just the technical problems make me doubt.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline arnljot

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 04:10:23 PM »
Who said amigians are anti microsoft fanatics??

All who have spoken so far have spoken mostly in favour of the 360.

First off, I own an PS3.

Then, this is what I've read about the objective merrits of the two:
360: Good memory, DVD only for games. Yes it sports the HD-DVD but it will not now, or ever(?? can't understand why they say this) use HD-DVD for games

PS3: 7 cores, each 3.2 ghz. Good gpu from nvidia. Blueray for games and movies. But only 256 MB ram for the cpu, and 256 mb ram for the gpu.

So always when publishers that use both plaforms speak this is what they repeat. It's getting increasingly difficult to publish games for the 360 as the dual layer DVD gb limit is tight. This is no problem with 25GB and 50GB blyerays, and the future 100GB blue rays.

Memory: This is a dream on the 360, and you rarely get stuttering graphics, popups or tearing. Which you will find now on some games on the PS3 (most noriously the nfl08 or some sports game on ps3).

Even if coders learn how to do propper memory management, it seems to me wierd to think that 256MB RAM (512 total) is kick ass for the next 3-5 years.

For sure the 360 has the greater library of games. Hands down. But surely this will change. With the new low price SKUs Sony can't be far away from critical mass.

So which one do you want?

I can't tell you. But having access to the 360(friend) and the PS3 (mine). To me it came to a choice of gut feeling and lifestyle.

I have Ubuntu feisty fawn installed on it, and I'm trying to get E-UAE in and MythTV. Not because it's usefull - I have my MediaCentre PC that does that. But because it's great fun.

Games wise I love to play Buzz(PS2), Dirt and HEavenly Sword. Also to have Sprint downloaded legally from the PSN store along with Superstadust HD gives me a warm fuzzy feeling too :)

But I was close to buy a 360. Since the previous model got hacked so thourghouly and gave a lot of mame and uae fun for users everywhere.

But I have a PSP, and it interfaces so nicely with my PS3 (I can play my music on my DLink NAS 323 on the airport via the PS3, and see my photos etc).

So ask around. Try them if you can.

PS, 360 has a killer online community. PS3 is promising "Home", but it's delayed...
A posting a day keeps the sanity away...
http://www.arnljot.com

Offline jimmyboy

• Show only replies by jimmyboy
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 04:17:35 PM »
I too have spoken to many X360 owners and they all complain about the same thing. Red ring of death just after warranty has finished.  :cry:  However most PS3 owners complain that the PS3 versions have the same graphics due to lazy programmers. :-? I would go with the PS3 for the blu-ray and free online gaming.
A1200/PPC 240/040 25
Power Flyer or Fast ATA using CF drive
Mediator 1200
Voodoo 3
Soundblaster
Ethernet
tv card
Gotek usb drive
Kywalda board
all in a power tower OS 3.9 AND 4.0. :-D

Offline Gav

• Show only replies by Gav
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 04:24:51 PM »
Well i was always a sega/sony fanboy but now i own a 360 and i only bought it because of the choice of games compared to the PS3 aswell as the price diffrence at the time.

Much better selection in my opinion and me and my two brothers all have the white 360 and not one of them has had the ring of death...But even if they did i dont care because microsoft has extended the warranty to three years now anyways.
A1200,BPPC603e+@240mhz-060@50mhz/Scsi2 192mb,Powerflyer,Mediator SX,Voodoo 3000,SB128,Tv card,SD/FF,Ethernet,CDRW.

Offline swift240

• Show only replies by swift240
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 04:30:43 PM »
Ok as a matter of interest what about the graphics?

What is the better?

What is more versatile?

Penny for penny what is the best as to what it has?

What is the more reliable?

Is the games base the best thing to go for, as the PS3 is getting under way next year more so than this year.

Mike.
Amiga 1200, 82gb HD, 4 way IDE\'97, DVD Multi-Recorder, OS3.9, BB1,BB2, Apollo Turbo MkII 030/40, 32meg Fastram, 4Gb CF card PCMCIA slot, IDE CF card adaptor 4Gb CF card, HP 810C, Alba HDTV, Converted PC PSU. C128, C64, C16, Plus4, 1701, 1570, 1541MkII, ARP6.0,KCS Power Cart, FreezeFrame MK3B, Freeze Machine, Simons Basic,  PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 HDMI and 1TB HD+ 80gb USB HD, PS3 TV add on, Sound Surround speakers for PS2,PS3,PC, and Amiga Amazing so

Offline TheMagicMTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 04:35:30 PM »
yea.. swift240's questions are what I'm interested in also.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Shamus_

• Show only replies by Shamus_
    • http://www.imgburn.com
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 04:42:41 PM »
I like the XBox and the only reason being is that it's easy to have modded. Aside from all the emulators and other great stuff you can dump on it, XBMC is hands-down the best media player available on any platform. Bonus: If you're lazy like me and can't quite stretch the necessary 6 inches to reach the XBox remote (or the missus has hidden it on you again), XBMC comes with its own webserver - meaning that you can play/stop/start media files from a web browser on your laptop or any other networked machine. XBMC also has hundreds of Python scripts to access web-tv, shoutcast and other goodies. It's a great piece of software.
A500 - dead
A500 - pulse detected
A500/A570/A590 ROM Switcher/Action Replay Mk III
A1200/020 18megs RAM
A1200/020/10megs RAM/scsi/CD/ZIP/1x4gig+2x2gig HD
A4000/EC030 - Work in progress
A4000/040 x 2 - Work in progress

Offline jimmyboy

• Show only replies by jimmyboy
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 04:48:20 PM »
The PS3 has more power under the hood, free online gaming except the big mulitplayer games. Fully functional web browser unlike the X360. It plays:

Memory Stick Audio Format(ATRAC)
MP3(MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3)
MP4(MPEG-4 AAC)
WAVE(Linear PCM)
WMA
Memory Stick Video Format
- MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (AAC LC)
MP4 file format
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2)
AVI
- Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
- Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts
BD-ROM / BD-R / BD-RE
DVD-ROM / DVD-R / DVD+R / DVD-RW / DVD+RW
JPEG (DCF 2.0/Exif 2.21 compliant)
TIFF
BMP
GIF
PNG

With obvious growing support. Im gonna get one soon for the frontroom instead of a windoze entertainment box.

Look here.
A1200/PPC 240/040 25
Power Flyer or Fast ATA using CF drive
Mediator 1200
Voodoo 3
Soundblaster
Ethernet
tv card
Gotek usb drive
Kywalda board
all in a power tower OS 3.9 AND 4.0. :-D

Offline g7syj

• Show only replies by g7syj
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 04:59:08 PM »
\\"They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats
nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.\\"

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 05:00:42 PM »
I would just say your posting covers graphics and audio formats, however one really big thing Xbox 360 has going for it, is XBox Live.. There are over a million subscribers that you can get online with chat with and play games with.

Plus the Xbox Live video and music store, like iTunes, but runs on the 360 gives you access to TV shows movies (including HD). All in downloadable broadband format right to your 360 hard drive. It also works with Windows Media Center to be a playback unit for your windows media center pc DVR..

There maybe more computing power in the PS3, but the experience (and I have had opportunity with both) leaves something to be desired for overall entertainment value, unless playing DVDs and HD DVDs and games is all you do.

Nothing like a game of Halo with your friend off at college in another state over the internet to keep the friendly rivalry going, and to laud your scores with your gamer card over them.. he he..

As for technical problems with the 360, this seems to be only with the original units. To remedy this Microsoft has upped the warranty on all 360 units retroactively to a year. Usually if they unit fails during this time it will be replaced for free. If the unit is gonna fail it's during the year warranty anyway, so this problem has been solved. Most of the problems were with overheating by owners who never turned their machines off.

Also Microsoft launched the higher-end Xbox 360 Elite with a bigger hard drive and HDMI port which don't have these issues and a Halo 3 branded one. Both haven't had reports of these issues.

It's a good console guys, give it a break.
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 05:05:52 PM »
For the original poster, you should probably try to find out which games your son is most interested in. If most of the games are available on both platforms though, then you still have a quandry.

For myself I got a 360, mostly because so far only one or two games have cropped up on the PS3 that I'm even vaguely interested in, aside from games that are also available on the 360. Plus, not one single other gamer I know has a PS3, so not sure who I would multiplayer with if I had gotten one! I've never been sitting around thinking: gee I wish I had gotten a PS3.

I have also been thinking xbox 360, but now I doubt.
Because of the red ring of death, which seems to occur quite often. Also, many xbox games will be released on the ps3 sooner or later.
Just the technical problems make me doubt.

FWIW, Microsoft has finally admitted that this is a real problem and it affects every 360 that was made, at least up to a certain date. Google around for details, MS claims to have fixed the problem and newer 360s should be okay. I myself have a 360 which could be affected by the red ring at anytime, which doesn't make me happy but at least now that MS admits that it is their problem I'll be able to get it fixed if it ever occurs. BTW, I've had my 360 for over a year now with no problems.