Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: which is best for music Atari or Amiga  (Read 9197 times)

Description:

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: which is best for music Atari or Amiga
« Reply #134 from previous page: February 22, 2014, 10:57:18 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;759320
It's been superseded by FM8.

Yes realised that on investigation.  But I swear I got onto the website the other night and saw the FM7 product, demos and the screen shots. Black/brown console with green tic tac buttons; The memories.  And the patch set was all the DX range patches. Couldn't see this on the FM8. Perhaps I was using an old browser version that showed me the old site....  ;)

Anyhows, it bought back memories of me recording my drum machine patterns into the Amiga 2000 (Tiger Cub) and playing them back into my DX27 instruments.  Arrh when I had time to experiment.

Saw quite a few DX7s on SMeebay.  Just don't have the room.  Already have a good quality weighted keys Roland midi controller keyboard.  So a soft synch is the best option.  Especially since I upgraded my Sonar to X3 for my B'day.

:)

@commodoreJohn.  I saw/heard the same thing with SB Live EMU Sound fonts vs my little Korg module.  Chalk and cheese.  Cheese being the Soundfonts. I found individually the patches sounded great but in the context of a piece they were all over the place.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:06:14 PM by gertsy »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2014, 11:36:56 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;759465
Saw quite a few DX7s on SMeebay.  Just don't have the room.  Already have a good quality weighted keys Roland midi controller keyboard.  So a soft synch is the best option.  Especially since I upgraded my Sonar to X3 for my B'day.
Well, there's always the TX7/TX802...

@commodoreJohn.  I saw/heard the same thing with SB Live EMU Sound fonts vs my little Korg module.  Chalk and cheese.  Cheese being the Soundfonts. I found individually the patches sounded great but in the context of a piece they were all over the place.
Yeah...although the patches don't even sound good individually on GM.DLS...

What's the "little Korg module?" I had an 05/RW (rack version of the X5) I quite enjoyed, and I've been keeping my eye out for a deal on an X5D ever since I had to sell it...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2014, 04:05:49 AM »
Korg AG-10. Audio Gallery. Great GM sounds for 1994. Still have it. It's been through many computers.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2014, 04:33:47 AM »
Nice :)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline paul1981

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2015, 08:39:35 PM »
Quote from: mrmoonlight;758991
Well last time I posted I was awaiting an Atari st with 4mb upgrade ,well it arrived and the courier gave it to some one who did not even live in the same building as myself  they even signed for it and that was the last we saw of it ,
   but it did not end there I bought another Atari st off Ebay and had this delivered to my works address , which arrived and I could not wait to take it home ,so off I rushed and I arrived safely  and eagerly but carefully set the Atari st up ,turned the power on and wow we were on fire ,unbelievable I know ,but true ,all that was left was the case and a very Smokey   motherboard ,maybe I can repair it one day lol  before I throw myself off a cliff lol
     Meanwhile not one for giving up I spot a Atari STE with upgrade on Ebay and have bought that and again I am eagerly awaiting delivery
    any way I have bought a Casio CTK-591 with midi in and midi out and as I already have a Amiga midi interface, connected all the midi cables and sound etc  and have been putting the Amiga 1200 through its paces and I have to say it is brilliant ,taking in to account I am not used to midi and not completely sure what I am doing ,also I am using Music Deluxe 2 so all's well at the moment ,but still want to see what the Atari can do ,best wishes Brian.

Good evening Brian. How did it go with your Atari in the end? How does it compare with your Amiga experience? Do you prefer one over the other for your MIDI work? If so, please explain why. Thanks :)

Offline aggro_mix

• Show only replies by aggro_mix
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2015, 08:49:10 AM »
Quote from: ral-clan;759336
The alpha dial is worse than sliders, yes.  I wish I had the full slider programmer for this thing.  But it's not terrible.  Much better than programming a Yamaha DX series synth with the membrane keyboard buttons.

I think MIDI-Quest for the Amiga allows one to program an Alpha-Juno.  Otherwise there are a bunch of free editors for the Alpha Junos for other platforms.

I have the MKS-50 (rack version of Alpha Juno 2) and there's a driver available for use with MSE (Midi System Explorer). It should probably work straight away as they use they use the same sysex.

It's actually fairly easy to write your own driver as long as you have the midi/sysex information for the synth

Offline kolla

« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2015, 11:01:37 PM »
A-EON has OctaMED SoundStudio back in development. How about a Minimig based embedded device with built in MIDI and improved audio capabilities (higher res, many more channels, many audio in and outs, buildt in mixing and effects?), booting directly into OctaMED SoundStudio. Is that a sellable product?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2015, 11:53:14 PM »
Quote from: kolla;788594
A-EON has OctaMED SoundStudio back in development. How about a Minimig based embedded device with built in MIDI and improved audio capabilities (higher res, many more channels, many audio in and outs, buildt in mixing and effects?), booting directly into OctaMED SoundStudio. Is that a sellable product?

Potentially if its aligned to classic synths and their re-releases. GM (and variant) capabilities plus Sys-ex support for multiple devices...
 but most of that capability is software. I suppose the many outs could be a selling point.  Add a SID socket and access to it and you could have a handy retro sound setup.  Dreaming again...

Offline aGGreSSor

• Show only replies by aGGreSSor
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2015, 08:07:24 PM »
Beyond Time ^ MmcM (AY-8910/12) incomparable sound on Paula! :roflmao:

Favorite tunes:

• Fountain of sighs
  • Guitar slinger
  • Gcomp
  • Axel goes funkey?!
  • Drizzle
  • Elysium