Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: main screen looks too cluttered  (Read 17349 times)

Description:

Offline ronniebeck

• Show only replies by ronniebeck
Re: main screen looks too cluttered
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 09:22:09 AM »
For me it looks like a server vomited text on the screen and Jackson Pollock formed it into a website.  But then it always looked like that to me.  I guess it is a matter of taste.  Would be nice the starting page wasn't so over crowded.  But I can live with it.   But it could definitely use some re-thinking in terms of presentation.

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 11:14:27 AM »
Is that better.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline slimf

• Show only replies by slimf
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 02:27:10 PM »
The new forum is all but useless from mobile.

First, no mobile optimization.
Second, the home page is a mess - similar colours and sizes for headings vs text makes browsing through new topics impossible. If it says like this I’m out.

Why you would’t have picked a really decent forum system like ipboard is beyond me. It’s got a really great mobile comparability and it’s out of box theme is light years ahead of this new forum.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:28:41 PM by slimf »

Offline gary2000

• Show only replies by gary2000
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 02:37:07 PM »
"any chance the title thread can be bigger or bolder...right now I don't care for the line beneath the title with thread starter , time etc. it makes the front page way to cluttered and busy'

I agree. Also, expand recent Forum topics to include more entries.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:40:32 PM by gary2000 »

Offline ronniebeck

• Show only replies by ronniebeck
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 02:45:01 PM »
Is that better.

Is what better?  Who are you talking to?  What did you fix exactly?

It looks the same like it did yesterday.  It looks the same like it did 1 year ago.  An unmitigated mess.

There needs to be some logical or intuitive structure to aid navigation.  Also, don't just react randomly to a comment.  Better would be that you collected the various feedback from people here and then formulate an approach for enhancing the website.  Those changes need to be consistent with a strategy or design goal.  Making sporadic changes from vague off-hand comments is just going to waste your time and will for sure please nobody.

And for the love of the Amiga..........test this on a mobile device.

Offline klx300rTopic starter

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 07:01:45 PM »
"any chance the title thread can be bigger or bolder...right now I don't care for the line beneath the title with thread starter , time etc. it makes the front page way to cluttered and busy'

I agree. Also, expand recent Forum topics to include more entries.
ah yes good point :)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 02:42:37 AM »
To be fair, EAB's layout (for example) is even worse, which is why I always preferred this site.  I go to "eab.abime.net" and I see links and links and links.  "Amiga scene", "Retrogaming", "Nostalgia", "support.whatever.whatever".  "Request.whatever.whatever".  No "main section" showing the most recent posts.  I don't care about a bunch of sub-forums that may not have been posted in for months.  Main website should open to a simple "at a glance" list of the most recently updated threads.  Just IMHO.  :)

Mike, over at EAB, just click "Today's Posts" logged in or not. That would be ideal if AO were laid out like that.
They show, Thread/Thread Starter, Last Post, Replies, Views & Forum. Plus, when logged in at EAB, all the logged in users are right up at top. However, on AO, it's nice to see who's logged in even when I'm not.

OK, also to be fair... AO "Recent Forum Topics" have the same exact info that EAB does. Maybe that changed (doubt it) since I quoted myself, maybe not. TBH, I didn't compare the two side x side.  ::) Anyhoo, that's all a guy needs so, that works 4 me.  :)

I was checking the look and layout options to see if I could display more than 6 recent threads but, I didn't notice anything. Would be nice to see maybe 10 to 15/20 recent threads.

Here's a thought... maybe have a java script activation box, on the left side, in the header of recent topics. Click it and an overlay box pops up with radio buttons that's let's the user choose anywhere from 10/20/30 more threads, to... week, month, year, and to infinity & beyond!  ;D Hit OK/Enter and the page reloads with the user's choices.

I actuall hate JS but in this case that would work as long as it wasn't activated by hovering. And yes, I know, that won't work with iBrowse............ yet!  8)

Right then..... I gotta quit playing so much "Hi Bob"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh9pZWCd8MU

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:40:43 AM by gizmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 10:42:12 PM »
@ FOLLETany update on what changes will be made to de-clutter the main screen....of course when time permits

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 09:49:28 AM »
I havent tested this on mobile phone, but on my computer it looks fine. (Wintel, havent tested with Amiga browsers).

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2018, 03:09:11 PM »
@ FOLLET
any update on what changes will be made to de-clutter the main screen....of course when time permits

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2018, 09:42:59 AM »
@ FOLLET
any update on what changes will be made to de-clutter the main screen....of course when time permits

When I get some time, I will sit down and work on it some more. I have already made alot of changes people have asked for. As usual, Im met with people complaining they want it changed back.

I think people are going to have accept change and stop complaining about little things that have no bearing on forum usage. Having someone say the forum is completely useless now is completely crazy.

One thing I have noticed, no matter how much free time you give up, 90% of Amigans will complain instead of saying thanks and getting on with it. I thought working on an Emulator for almost 6-8 hours a day, for the last 10 years was bad. Ive had more grief over this forum change than I ever did while working on PSPUAE, and its only been a few months.

Before anyone starts. These are my own personal views and nothing to do with A-EON / Amigakit.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 03:16:23 PM »
thanks for the update :) I don't know about the other changes that were made that people have asked for and yes some people complain about anything and everything but I'm just following up on the  original post No1 which has yet to be addressed.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 05:46:23 PM »

I think people are going to have accept change and stop complaining about little things that have no bearing on forum usage. Having someone say the forum is completely useless now is completely crazy.

Change is hard.  Russian proverb I heard a long time ago: "New is first enemy of old".  ;)

That being said, you haven't replied to either of my questions about attaching pictures to forum posts.  Is that feature gone for good?  Seems it would make it a lot easier to communicate exactly what the issue is, if we could just post a picture highlighting what's wrong with such-and-such a thing.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline motrucker

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 07:07:03 PM »
I am so happy to have this site back, I can put up with almost anything. This only thing I would really like to see return, is the ability to add graphics to a post that works.

A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline slimf

• Show only replies by slimf
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 10:31:13 PM »
I’d post a screen shot of the unusable site from my iPhone, but there is no way to attach an image to a post!

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 11, 2018, 10:50:14 PM »
OH, The Irony!  ::)

A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!