Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 7512 times)

Description:

Offline hayashiTopic starter

• Show only replies by hayashi
    • http://www.d-linc.co.uk
Windows 7
« on: October 22, 2009, 07:09:20 AM »
So... it's finally turned up.

Anyone here going to make the upgrade? I won't be; Linux and AmigaOS3 do pretty much every task I could want from an OS, and the only semi-functional Windows computer in my room is my Windows 98 retrogaming machine that I slightly messed up when I moved it to a new case. I hate Windows and all it stands for, and the only reason I'd buy 7 is if I desperately needed Windows and it suddenly crashed in price to be cheaper than XP.

And what the hell's with Microsoft throwing their crappy Ribbon UI around everywhere? To me, all Ribbons seem to accomplish is cluttering up the user interface, taking up a ridiculous amount of the screen, and cause users to have to wade through tons of irregularly laid-out tabs in order to find what in a toolbar system would be in plain view and (eg in previous versions of Office and IE) could be reconfigured into a layout that suited the user. It's like replacing a toolbox with a filing cabinet holding all the tools, and, in my opinion, it therefore ruins the desktop metaphor. (Who puts tools and only tools in a filing cabinet?)

One-man launch unparty time, I feel.
[UK] A1200 with 2GB hard drive and Apollo 1240 040/33MHz/16MB FastRAM | A500+ with trapdoor memory upgrade and A520 modulator and no battery or power supply

Floppy Drive Grim Reaper and DPaint lover

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 07:24:05 AM »
I will be, but then I work in IT.

My next rig build will be before Xmas, most likely a i5 or i7 based Win7 boxen.

Offline Tahoe

• Show only replies by Tahoe
    • http://www.amiga4ever.nl
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 07:49:04 AM »
It already turned up in August (I'm a Technet/MSDN member) and have been running the RTM for several months now. Good to be over and done with Vista, 7 feels a lot smoother and faster.
(running on an i7 machine)
Greetings from Wilnis, The Netherlands
Now owning ALL Amiga models and most; if not all; flavours of them...My Amiga Museum

Offline Lockon_15

• Show only replies by Lockon_15
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 07:52:33 AM »
Running W7 Enterprise since mid July.
No objections so far. Compared to XP, most visible improvements include multitasking performance and networking subsystem. Maybe there are some other goodies, but those mentioned come from corporate/IT user arena, far away from gamers.

Pure gamers use "world's greatest game machine", right ?
A500+/KS3.1/GVPA530/2MbChipRam+8MbFastRAM 2GbCF/YAMAHA CDRW

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 10:54:24 AM »
Pre-ordered and mine turned up early on monday due to postal strikes was sent out early. Seems ok so far.  lot better than Vista so far and good compatibality VM stuff so some stuff that didnt run under vista now works again.

Im quite impressed so far to be honest.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 11:10:17 AM »
Quote from: hayashi;526841
So... it's finally turned up.

Anyone here going to make the upgrade? I won't be; Linux and AmigaOS3 do pretty much every task I could want from an OS, and the only semi-functional Windows computer in my room is my Windows 98 retrogaming machine that I slightly messed up when I moved it to a new case. I hate Windows and all it stands for, and the only reason I'd buy 7 is if I desperately needed Windows and it suddenly crashed in price to be cheaper than XP.

And what the hell's with Microsoft throwing their crappy Ribbon UI around everywhere? To me, all Ribbons seem to accomplish is cluttering up the user interface, taking up a ridiculous amount of the screen, and cause users to have to wade through tons of irregularly laid-out tabs in order to find what in a toolbar system would be in plain view and (eg in previous versions of Office and IE) could be reconfigured into a layout that suited the user. It's like replacing a toolbox with a filing cabinet holding all the tools, and, in my opinion, it therefore ruins the desktop metaphor. (Who puts tools and only tools in a filing cabinet?)

One-man launch unparty time, I feel.

Already upgraded to MS Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (MSDN) since early Sep 2009.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 12:14:11 PM »
Loaded it on a couple of computers at work and my wife's PC at home.  It's better than Vista, faster, cleaner.  Generally we've replaced our Vista machines with Windows 7.  You can turn off the bloody warnings.  MS and Apple did similar releases, largely bug fixes.  If you're an MS Windows fan you'll come, if your an Apple fan you'll go 'meh.'
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:17:08 PM by persia »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 12:17:10 PM »
I like it.  Been running it since June on my laptop which had Vista.

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 12:43:33 PM »
I have and will transfer all XP machines at work and home, it a great OS buy now while the price is low. i have already bought 18 copies (dam i will be busy for a while... :( )
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline tone007

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 12:45:51 PM »
Been running it for some time here as well, does pretty nicely even on an old single core laptop I have lying around.

Check out the awesome Resource Monitor, shows you your processes and how much memory/disk/cpu and even network they're utilizing, as well as what hosts each process is talking to: http://www.techsupportalert.com/files/images/rm_overview_1.jpg

Definitely a step up.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 01:00:42 PM »
I've been running it for awhile. Its sad that the best thing about it is "XP mode". I still don't see many reasons besides support & security that would make people want to upgrade from XP? Vista users will love it cause it way faster then Vista on the same machine.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 02:04:30 PM »
Vista actually has become pretty good now at the SP2 version ( 4 gig RAM on C2Duo @2.4 ghz)  I still think the boot time is frustratingly long. I only buy windows with new PC's so no win 7 on my 8 month old laptop.

Offline Tension

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 02:28:39 PM »
pfft

Offline balrogsoft

• Show only replies by balrogsoft
    • http://www.amigaskoolnet
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 02:40:01 PM »
I will not install Windows 7 on my PC, unfortunately i need to use Windows for work and other hobbies like astronomy, which i need special software that only exists for Windows, Windows XP is enough for my needs. I don't usually play to Windows games, last game i played was Left4Dead, a great zombies FPS game, but i prefer retrogaming.
Balrog Software · http://www.amigaskool.net
Mac Mini G4 1,5ghz · MorphOS 2.7 · Ati Radeon 9200 64Mb · 1 Gb RAM · 80 GB HD
Efika · MorphOS 2.7 · Ati Radeon 9250 128Mb · 120 Gb WD HD
Amiga 1200T · OS 3.9 · Voodoo3 · Blizzard 603e/240mhz 060/50mhz · 98 Mb RAM · 40 GB HD
Amiga 600 · OS 3.1 · ACA 630/25mhz 32 Mb RAM · 4Gb CF

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 03:29:02 PM »
I received a request at work today, a lab with XP PCs wants to upgrade to Windows 7, first time I've received a request from someone who wasn't running Vista.  I'll let you know their reactions.  XP is really starting to show it's age.  I'm not a big Windows fan, but I've upgrade all the MSWindows machines in my personal life to 7.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.