Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Using Catweasel MK3 from WinUAE  (Read 2264 times)

Description:

Offline adrian82Topic starter

Using Catweasel MK3 from WinUAE
« on: May 22, 2012, 10:02:01 AM »
Hi,

I have installed the latest and greatest version of WinUAE (2.4.1) on a Windows 7 machine and tried to use it with my Catweasel MK3. I have installed the Catweasel drivers from the homepage of Individual Computers and all the devices on the Catweasel except for the floppy controller show up in the device manager. However, the Catweasel floppy controller part works fine on Linux, I never tried reading or writing a disk image on Windows.

Anyway, as far as I know, it is possible to directly use the Catweasel in WinUAE to access Amiga floppy disks in the emulated Amiga. Unfortunately, I have been out of luck and can't seem to get this working.

Is there anything I need to configure before I can use the Catweasel with WinUAE? Should the drivers be installed or not?

Adrian
- Amiga 1200 w/ Blizzard 1220/4 - ACA-1230/56MHz/64MB, OS3.9 + Debian unstable, Squirrel SCSI + CD-Writer and 160GB HDD
- Amiga 2000 ECS with A2090 and Genlock, OS 3.1
- Amiga 2000 with Blizzard 68060/128 MiB FastRAM
- Amiga 4000 Tower with Blizzard 68060/128 MiB FastRAM
- 2x Amiga 4000 with unknown accelerators
- 4x Amiga 500, Protar A500HD 2MB, C= A590 2MB, OS3.1
- Amiga 600 Standard + A601, OS3.1
- several 68k Macs
- Atari ST Mega

Offline spirantho

Re: Using Catweasel MK3 from WinUAE
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:09:13 AM »
The thing you need to understand is that the Catweasel does not emulate the native disk controller. This isn't possible because you'd need the Paula emulation to work at exactly 100% speed guaranteed, and unless you're running a realtime OS on a very fast machine, that's not going to happen. Plus I don't think WinUAE would support it anyway because of the way it works.

What WinUAE does do, is emulate a Zorro Catweasel plugged into your virtual Amiga. So you need to install the Amiga drivers and use multidisk.device exactly as you would on a real Amiga with a Catweasel installed.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline shaf

• Show only replies by shaf
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 02:24:38 PM »
To my knowledge there are no Win 7 Drivers for Catweasel. a Few years ago I asked Jens about Vista Drivers for the Catweasel MK4 and his response was to only support Win XP.
Since Vista and Win7 use the same driver base I suspect that there will be no further driver support.

Offline mfletcher

• Show only replies by mfletcher
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 03:59:14 PM »
Actually you can get the Catweasel to run in Win 7, with the caveat that it has to be Win 7 32bit version only. I think there are Vista drivers on Jens site, and you can use those.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:13:14 PM »
WinUAE can access the Catweasel on Win7 64bit without Windows drivers. Just follow the instructions: http://www.winuae.net/cw.html