Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rumor on Windows 7 Price  (Read 8332 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: Rumor on Windows 7 Price
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;512679
I have no choice but to use Vista on my HP notebook;  lack of XP drivers, have not found ONE Linux distro that has drivers fro all my hardware

You must have a pretty weird laptop then. My brothers dual core Acer boots fedora 9, 10 and ubuntu 8.10 from a pen drive without any problems. The display, removable media, wireless and built in LAN all worked.

Sometimes you don't get particular drivers out of the box though. It doesn't mean they don't exist, you just have to install them yourself. Of course, if the missing driver is for your network hardware then you do have a bit of a problem :lol:
int p; // A

Offline amiga92570

• Show only replies by amiga92570
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 03:29:01 PM »
They should give Windows 7 away to all the people who purchased Vista.
Amiga92570
==========================
(1) 4000T/040 (2)3000t CS 060/233ppc Picasso IV video, (2)D-box 1200 blizzard 060/200ppc Mediator fastATA, (1)amiga 1200 Power tower, (1)amiga 1200 EZ tower with mediator,1200/030/50mhz, (3) amiga 500 with CSA Mega Midget Racer and Trump card AT, (2) amiga 600 one with M-tec 030, (3) CD32 one sx32, two sx32-pro, More accessories and parts than I want to admit to

Offline RMK305

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 05:11:21 PM »
I heard that Windows 7 will automatically download and install updates and wont notify you that it has done so.  I'll just stick to XP thanks.
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 05:24:01 PM »
I'm running the Win7 RC on my main computer and an older Athlon 2100 with 2GB Ram. It works great on both. Fast and responsive, very noticable change from Vista. I'd say it is comparable in speed to XP on my older computer but more responsive.

Offline spookyx

• Show only replies by spookyx
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 05:28:30 PM »
Quote from: RMK305;512739
I heard that Windows 7 will automatically download and install updates and wont notify you that it has done so.  I'll just stick to XP thanks.

me too,  I am gonna wait until windows 20 comes out to switch

:D
spookyx

Offline quarkx

• Show only replies by quarkx
    • http://www.amigalounge.com
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
I have been Beta testing Windows 7 since the beginning. Biggest fail of it is no "Classic" View, so finding anything is close to impossible. Still can't find how to shut the touch pad off. Once the RC is over, I will be going back to XP.
Don't get me wrong 7 is a 1000% improvement over VISTA, but Windows 3.1 is an improvement over VISTA.
I have Amiga stuff for sale at http://amigalounge.com. You can follow my builds there also.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »
I think Steve Jobs decribed M$ best... "They have no taste."
They are good at doing functions, (take into account they also developed OS2) but easy to use OS for them is a hit and miss affair.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline quarkx

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 06:27:02 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;512679
I have no choice but to use Vista on my HP notebook;  lack of XP drivers, have not found ONE Linux distro that has drivers fro all my hardware

HP has ALL the XP drivers out for their notebooks, you just have to hunt them down. Usually, you look for a similar hardware notebook model with XP. It does take a lot of hunting, but it can be done. I have successfully "downgraded" at least 20 different HP notebook models to XP.I have spent up to a week hunting drivers, but ALL HP (and any) notebooks can be done, you just have to put in the time.
When a SALESMAN tells you you can't run XP on a machine, he is flat out lying to you.

90% of my business at my computer store was downgrading Vista to XP.
I have Amiga stuff for sale at http://amigalounge.com. You can follow my builds there also.

Offline juan_fine

• Show only replies by juan_fine
    • http://www.mousam-river.com/
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »

pure FUD

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 07:08:58 PM »
Quote from: smerf;512624
Hi,

I heard a rumor today that leaked out from Best Buy that Windows 7 Home Edition will cost $49 and that Windows 7 Premium Edition will cost $99, this seems like a reversal from Microsoft who usually charges high prices for their operating systems, they are also saying that Windows 7 is the Vista that works.

smerf

rumor read from maximum pc site.

This seems inline with the way it's always been.

First, I'm guessing those are of course the upgrade prices, not the full retail.  Which, having worked at bestbuy a few years ago, customer always got confused on.  XP was $99 ($199 for the full box),

I'm guessing it's likes this...

Windows 7 Home Premium == Windows XP Home -- $99 upgrade box ($199 for full)
Windows 7 Ultimate/Business == Windows XP Pro -- $199 for upgrade box($299 for full)

The $49 ($149 for full) Windows 7 Home (again I'm sure that the upgrade box) is probably just stripped down version that no one will want.

This is pretty much the same model as Vista too (again the Vista Home version was stripped down and didn't even have Aero! hence the only place it was really used was the lowest end eMachines)

This pricing seems exactly the same to me.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 07:12:24 PM by AmigaHeretic »
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 07:37:43 PM »
Seems the price will be more fair if the same as the one quted at top however i wont go for windows 7 for some time .. Running win 7 RC on one computer and Vista on the other has shown me that i prefere the gaming performance in vista much better. Keep in mind that win7 is still in beta "may become better" but if you think it will run GREAT on your 6 year old hardware since vista could not you are sadly mistaken ... I also tried win7 on my old barton 2400XP amd computer and it was 4 times slower in some tasks that xp thats for sure as i did bechmark it for a week and a half before going back to xp on that computer... Personally i think a newer os should have new hardware in these days so i have never really had any problems with vista. ''for me it works much better for gaming than 7RC that on a core i7 with 6gig mem

Quote from: Karlos;512650
Vista isn't so bad most of the time. It's only a pain when run it :lol:

Seriously though, I don't have most of the problems Vista users seem to complain about. This is probably a consequence of the fact that I don't use it for anything except gaming. I disabled just about every non essential service (including themes). What I have, looks pretty much like Win2K.

The most annoying things I'd say I'd encountered with Vista are

1) Vista likes to guess which folder view you prefer, even when you tell it you want a basic list only. The moment any sort of media file ends up in a folder it suddenly tries to get all clever and switch to a media centric view with ratings, meta information about the media etc. Not a lot of fun when it's a folder cram full of source code with a test sound file or something.

2) Vista's update manager. For some reason (though I managed to disable this one), when it gets a critical update, Vista wants to reboot your machine. It pops up a dialogue and you can postpone it. However, here's the rub. The dialogue doesn't tend to be visible when you are in the depths of the capital wasteland.

3) Vista's image viewer. It's crap. It doesn't seem to let you view at 1:1 size most of the time.

As for boot times and performance, I can't really complain. It's slower to boot than linux on the same machine, but one it's up it is fine. I've played fallout 3 at 1680x1080 many times, wondered why my hard disk is making a noise and discovered it's running a defender or antivirus sweep. You can't tell any other way as there's no observable slowdown.

Most of therse problems are in win7 as well .. Atleased nr 2 has become worse.
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 07:40:29 PM »

I've been using it since the beta and never had that happen.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2009, 07:46:24 PM »
Well, at least there's one place where AmigaOS wins hands down:

int p; // A

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 01:00:10 AM »
For gaming Vista and Win 7 maybe ok but for business i will still use XP and i have XP running on AMD's, Dual Core's, Quad Core's and I7's and its still does the job very well (unless ofcourse dumb users get in the way :) ).
AS for it updating without telling you, and you having no choice that is incorrect, just like xp and vista i have set it up to ask me what to download and install (although if u choose to download you don't get the option to install it, it will auto install).
I am thinking of moving my Work PC's onto Linux after XP become not viable to install on new PC's (although I am a linux newb... :D ).
Anyway win 7 still has a long way to go and if i do decide to buy it i would probably wait for a SP1 release.
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 03:08:35 AM »
Wake me up when there's good reason to upgrade from ME.  :)
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline quarkx

« Reply #29 from previous page: June 22, 2009, 03:41:03 AM »
IF MS had Any Brains over there in Redmond, they would be hard at work Upgrading the XP kernal instead of flogging this crap that nobody likes (or at least putting an XP GUI on it, and making everyone's life easier)