Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Best Things Come In Small Packages  (Read 16145 times)

Description:

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
Re: The Best Things Come In Small Packages
« Reply #179 from previous page: March 25, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »
Quote from: vexar;685333
@Tripitaka:  
MEMORY    8GB (2x4GB) Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz    

I need more RAM.  This machine is partially for work, and I'm not using this hardware for serious gaming. Alienware appears to be Dell on the back-end, no wonder they have their act together.  I think my mistake has been to assume that a name is the same thing as a brand experience.

If Commodore comes out with some third-party evaluations in the very near future, I will pay attention, but for a guy like me to be able to understand holes in their engineering is not a good sign.

Thanks for the replies!

Then go to either:

http://www.crucial.com/

OR:

http://www.newegg.com/

and buy one of the super duper 16GB ram upgrades available for under 100 bucks with warranties of their own.  Seriously - if an extra 8G of ram is making you spend a grand more for hardware, you need to spend some more time researching the field.

Offline Optimus

• Show only replies by Optimus
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »
Quote from: vexar;685317
Hey everyone!
I am that retard, apparently. Or nearly so!

It is refreshing to know that some users never change. So, two things:
1. I was willing to buy the system at $2500 USD
2. I am concerned about the power supply discussion

My post on the Commodore-amiga.org forum (based on what I learned from this thread on amiga.org) yielded this discussion:
http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/forum/33-hardware-support/13746-amiga-mini-power-supply-gpu

I halted my purchase because half of my original post was not touched.

Wow, one person was willing to buy the Amiga Mini!

Just in the nick of time, they managed to lose the sale by ducking a legitimate question.

:roflmao:

@Dammy I'd sell your stock in CUSA

@vexar Don't feel to bad, they can't answer your question, because they haven't made one yet. Your only fortunate they didn't delete your post for daring to challenge them. Xerxes is probably facing a ban from the site for his heracy.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:54:42 PM by Optimus »

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »
Hi,

OK I take it back, I would rather buy an apple MAC to use MorphOS on then buy that overpriced piece of crap. The Mini Amiga even looks like an apple, Gawd, I think I am going to puke.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Bif

• Show only replies by Bif
« Reply #182 on: March 26, 2012, 05:56:02 AM »
I might have bought a bare bones PC compatible A1000 replica case/keyboard/mouse for the $345 or whatever they are asking, just to get that piece of nostalgia on my desk in daily use. But coming out with some case and innards that have nothing to do with an Amiga and selling it for that much ... yeah, good luck with *A* sale.

Offline vexar

• Show only replies by vexar
« Reply #183 on: March 26, 2012, 09:24:28 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;685355
Seriously - if an extra 8G of ram is making you spend a grand more for hardware, you need to spend some more time researching the field.

I tend to ask people I trust, and nobody has advised me to go and get this C= product.  If you buy a computer once every four years, what is the point on staying up-to-date?  Thanks for the links.  Actually, I have a pile of RAM laying around, but it's all different speeds and what-not.  I really should turn it over to the IT department, I have absolutely no use for it.

Quote from: Optimus;685376
Wow, one person was willing to buy the Amiga Mini!

Just in the nick of time, they managed to lose the sale by ducking a legitimate question.

@vexar Don't feel to bad, they can't answer your question, because they haven't made one yet. Your only fortunate they didn't delete your post for daring to challenge them. Xerxes is probably facing a ban from the site for his heresy.

@Optimus, to be fair, they did say they "imagined" it would run Blu-Ray just fine.  Couldn't be bothered to go and test basic hardware functionality, and they admitted it.  See, in my job, we spend time analyzing both what was said and what was not said by an individual or organization.  The CTO for my division would have answered something to the effect of:
"All our products are tested and guaranteed to operate according to specifications.  We do not warranty the behavior of specific software products which are not part of Commodore OS Vision, however if you run into concerns with the hardware or our operating system, you may log a Technical Support Request."
It is a solid, powerful response.  If I pried for testing data, I would have expected the response of:
"Our testing process is a proprietary operation of our business, and we do not disseminate this information to the public.  Our work complies with regulations for our industry and records of our testing results are held by managing regulatory groups."
What I now know is that the CTO for Commodore had a rough week, he's angry about something, he can't filter himself, and he really hasn't tested the products very much, but was reckless enough to admit it.  Can you imagine the CTO of Dell saying this sort of thing?  

So, here's a fun thing to ask anyone with an existing Commodore USA system: was there a UL, CSA, and FCC sticker on the box somewhere?  Those would be the organizations that would test the soundness of the hardware, dissolving my gripping concerns about power consumption.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2012, 09:34:12 AM »
The only pic I have ever seen of the bottom of one of their products is this

Note the complete system not tested. take what you will from that.