Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Making a cable for multisync monitor ?  (Read 1075 times)

Description:

Offline droopyTopic starter

• Show only replies by droopy
Making a cable for multisync monitor ?
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »
Want to give this a try.. I have an benq xl2410T monitor and upon a direct question to benq support, thay claim that the monitor will scan Horizontally down to 15Khz on the VGA port as well as the HDMI.

So I want to give my amiga a try together with that monitor without the scandoubler to se what will happen.

But I guess I need a cable of some kind.. and perhaps some components to adjust the signals sent from the amiga. I have noticed that there are some different monitor cables for multisync monitors like Sony and Nec. So I guess it is not "straight forward plug in" adapter style.

Being new to this kind of video signals I need to lern more about the differences and problems I might get trying to make a cable.

Also what "monitor" to choose from devs/monitors to run the multisync or do I need some modified monitor driver ?

Offline Matt_H

Re: Making a cable for multisync monitor ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
If the monitory really does sync to 15KHz, all you need is one of these. It's a straight-through electrical connection, just a change in the connector shape.

There are older monitor adapters like the famous Commodore silverbox and the SyncStrainer - these have some extra circuitry in them that you'll need for the Video Toaster and maybe some other advanced professional video hardware. But for regular usage, the adapter linked above should be fine.

Since it's 15KHz capable, most things from from Devs/Monitors should work. stevee617, another member here determined that the Dell SR2320 was also 15KHz compatible. I picked one up and did some testing on all the native Monitors drivers. All the important ones work, with some caveats for unusual overscan situations. There were also some Benq monitors mentioned in that thread - here it is.

Good luck, and please report back with your findings!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:44:21 PM by Matt_H »