Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The absolute worst commercial game for Amiga?  (Read 7623 times)

Description:

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
Re: The absolute worst commercial game for Amiga?
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 08:31:21 AM »
Honestly, Quake wasn't the first or the worst of such games. It's funny - in the PC market when a game would come out that simply wouldn't run at full speed on any computer at the time of its release was not a big deal - you just waited a while until new HW came out that could run it well (Strike Commander, Ultima VIII...). On Amiga in the second half of the 90s the 060 accelerators came out, but that was it - of course nobody knew at the time. So games that don't run that well on the 060 are basically only playable on UAE (maybe Natami or some FPGA in the future).

I personally think AB3D2 was much worse optimized than any Quake port. But that may be just my problem, because other people have apparently played it on 040 and it ran well (I've never tried patching the game). Quake on 060 with RTG is actually very playable (and a much better game than AB3D2 I might add...).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:34:17 AM by koshman »
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

Offline OldB0y

• Show only replies by OldB0y
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 08:33:53 AM »
Quote from: smerf;659671
Hi,

It is actually easier to do the best game threads, since there was so many rotten games brought out for the Amiga.

To me Electronic Arts games where the worst, you had to look at the time they were made, so you could determine which Amiga they ran on. Due to Electronic Arts copy protection every time they came out with a new Amiga system, the old games wouldn't play on it, you had to wait for the new games to come out. So to keep up with the new games you had to buy a new system, if you played Electronic Arts games.

smerf

Your kidding right? EA were responsible for publishing a lot of great Amiga games, some of which had no copy protection at all!  I know EA got a bad rep particularly in the PS2 Era, but in the Amiga days most of their stuff was pretty good. Even their console conversions like Desert Strike and Road Rash were good, when a lot of other developers/publishers did some really shoddy ports to the Amiga.  

Anyway, back with the plot, Im picking the all time classic worst Amiga game - 'Rise of the Robots' - utter ****e, even the ports of Strider and Outrun weren't this bad!
Amigas owned:
1) A1200 Power Tower, Blizzard PPC 603+040 128Mb, BVision
2) A1200 Desktop with an ugly looking hole hacked out of the trap door cover to accommodate a DCE built Blizzard 1260 with 64Mb (angled SIMM slot).
not in use:
3) A4000/040 - has an Emplant card installed.  Sadly no video output:-( current location: loft
4) A1000 - owned it since about 1988, current location: loft (AFAIK it still works though)
Sundry bits:
Blizzard 12

Offline spirantho

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 08:54:51 AM »
This isn't right.. it took over a page of comments before someone mentions "Rise of the Robots"....

... and still nobody until me mentions that game "Akira".

How quickly we forget.

(and how Electronic Arts games - which includes Populous, Populous II and Powermonger - can be mentioned in a worst games thread I don't know)
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline OldB0y

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 10:08:51 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;659686
This isn't right.. it took over a page of comments before someone mentions "Rise of the Robots"....

... and still nobody until me mentions that game "Akira".

How quickly we forget.

(and how Electronic Arts games - which includes Populous, Populous II and Powermonger - can be mentioned in a worst games thread I don't know)

Proud to say, I never even wasted a blank disk on Akira, I have never played it! (I did waste a few blanks on Rise of the Robots though... Still at least I was able to re-use them)  

As for EA, most of the Amiga games I actually bought back in the day were by them, for the simple reason they actually weren't dross.  Where a lot of firms early on in the Amiga's life pushed lame ST ports, EA actually took advantage of the Amiga's superior ability.  Later in the Amigas life, EA tried to ensure that the Amiga versions were at least as playable and on a par with the Console/PC versions, if not better.  As far as I recall they were about the only multi-platform software house to do so!

Squeezing Syndicate onto the A500, and making it almost identical to the PC version, was some achievement!
Amigas owned:
2) A1200 Desktop with an ugly looking hole hacked out of the trap door cover to accommodate a DCE built Blizzard 1260 with 64Mb (angled SIMM slot).
not in use:
3) A4000/040 - has an Emplant card installed.  Sadly no video output:-( current location: loft
4) A1000 - owned it since about 1988, current location: loft (AFAIK it still works though)
Sundry bits:
Blizzard 12

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 10:16:47 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;659625
This.

Nothing ground my gears more than seeing straight EGA ports of games that the Amiga should have swallowed and had rattling around inside it.  

For me the worst game I actually paid money for was Hillsfar (an allegedly AD&D based game).

The obvious Atari ST 68000 code + Amiga sampled sound routine made my blood boil too. Just reading the programming diary for Power Drift said it all.

Offline Digiman

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »
Quote from: OldB0y;659685
Your kidding right? EA were responsible for publishing a lot of great Amiga games, some of which had no copy protection at all!  I know EA got a bad rep particularly in the PS2 Era, but in the Amiga days most of their stuff was pretty good. Even their console conversions like Desert Strike and Road Rash were good, when a lot of other developers/publishers did some really shoddy ports to the Amiga.  

Anyway, back with the plot, Im picking the all time classic worst Amiga game - 'Rise of the Robots' - utter ****e, even the ports of Strider and Outrun weren't this bad!

Rise of the Robots = crap game design so not conversion teams fault.
Outrun = crap programming for conversion (Amiga game should have looked like the Megadrive/Genesis version....Lotus II is proof)

PS Syndicate was coded for Amiga first?

Offline OldB0y

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 11:56:10 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;659692
Rise of the Robots = crap game design so not conversion teams fault.
Outrun = crap programming for conversion (Amiga game should have looked like the Megadrive/Genesis version....Lotus II is proof)

PS Syndicate was coded for Amiga first?

Erm the original topic is 'absolute worst commercial game for Amiga' - In my opinion, Rise of the Robots fits this description - even if it was a pixel perfect port from another platform - i.e.. its still s**t

Amiga Outrun, although not great is still better than Rise of the Robots, at least its reasonably playable. I'm pretty sure it also came out before the Megadrive version.  Also, there are far worse Sega coin-op conversions for the Amiga than this.

Syndicate was coded on the PC first, according to the manual. Theres a quote from one of the programmers, Mark Webley "The biggest problem converting Syndicate to the Amiga was the amount of memory available"
Amigas owned:
not in use:
Sundry bits:
Blizzard 12

Offline Digiman

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 01:47:42 PM »
Quote from: OldB0y;659696
Erm the original topic is 'absolute worst commercial game for Amiga' - In my opinion, Rise of the Robots fits this description - even if it was a pixel perfect port from another platform - i.e.. its still s**t

Amiga Outrun, although not great is still better than Rise of the Robots, at least its reasonably playable. I'm pretty sure it also came out before the Megadrive version.  Also, there are far worse Sega coin-op conversions for the Amiga than this.

Was just giving an insight to why I think those games are the worst for me. There is no right or wrong answer at this general  level of crapness :)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 02:04:55 PM »
Rise of the robots certainly fits.

Bad controls
uninspiring gameplay
loads of disk
disk swap hell

at least the animations were cool but it wasnt worth the effort.

Offline hishamk

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »
Any game by Sierra Online. They didn't bother to improve upon the lame PC (EGA? CGA? what gives) graphics.

They seem to have thought that porting to another system meant only utilizing the lowest common denominator of all systems the game is available on; the original PC version in their case. Since they originally made it for the PC, they deemed it unnecessary to actually figure out how to make it multiple times of magnitude better with the Amiga's capabilities.
2x A1000, 2x A2000, 1x A3000, 4x A1200, 3x A500, 1x CDTV, 1x CD32, 2x Pegasos II, 1x EFIKA

Offline paul1981

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »
Surely it's NASCAR Challenge.
I think this game (and I use that term loosely) actually qualifies for worst game of all time.  Nothing is worse than this, I'm certain of it.  I dare all of you to give it a try!

Offline Digiman

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 03:16:31 PM »
Gridstart by ANCO is another one, really horrible and the graphics look worse than my first attempts on Neochrome on the ST in 1986 :)

It's on youtube...I recorded it heh

Offline zipper

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 03:44:38 PM »
Touring Car Challenge, whopping 3% from Amiga Power....

Offline Mrs Beanbag

• Show only replies by Mrs Beanbag
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 04:30:49 PM »
Can I just mention Zeppelin Games and leave it at that?  Pretty much everything they did was laughable.
Signature intentionally left blank

Offline Aegis

• Show only replies by Aegis
    • http://www.survivorfilms.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 07:30:40 PM »
Possibly controversial but for me, anything published by Vulcan Software - some people seemed to like their stuff (they even got good reviews) but to me their games always seemed like sub-PD crap with graphics that made my eyes bleed *shudder*.
Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Offline marcfrick2112

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 20, 2011, 08:09:44 PM »
Great thread idea..

Yea, Rise of the Robots is a serious contender... And, I, foolishly bought the CD32 version, ack!

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Arcade: Man, this COULD have been a good port, I bet, had it not been coded by a group of comatose monkeys!
:roflmao:
Graphics have little color, and blocky enough to make a C-64 owner wince, about 3/4 size of screen, never centered, and the controls are just drek.. (I love the 'whip in random directions feature! LOL)
I LOVED this game in the arcade, why did the Amiga get such a lame version?

Some honorable mentions for just stupidity go to Sierra On-line, or course.. (They didn't even know how to use the Amiga's mouse pointer for the first King's Quest game, iirc, it was a blocky hand-drawn 'arrow')

Another to 'Boulderdash Construction Set' , it's not terrible... but the ST version has full mouse support for editing, Amiga version is joystick only... Apparently, the Amiga has no mouse....??? :laughing:
---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T