Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alien Breed S.E. gets corrupted if using 512kb chip + 512kb slow ram  (Read 11298 times)

Description: Help

Offline rick13010Topic starter

• Show only replies by rick13010
Hello everyone !

I hope someone can help me with a clue.

I have a Commodore Amiga 500 with 1mb of chip ram and a selector switch for the 512 kb slow ram to activate in case of any incompatibility with a game.

If I run the game with the Amiga using 1MB chip ram the game runs without problems but if I try to run the game disabling the 512 kb chip ram and run it with 512 kb chip ram + 512 kb slow ram the game stops on the Amiga DOS screen and it stays there.

The mystery now deepens since when switching back to 1mb chip ram the game that previously ran suddenly stops running with the same result, Amiga DOS screen without any error message.

It turns out that I tested all versions of Alien Breed Special Edition and always came with the same unfortunate result. ???

Shadow of the Beast 3 is another one exactly the same with the same problem and I'm afraid of discovering other games along the way. :(

What is certain is that something is irreparably corrupting the game data. I tried using Winuae to enable the "Writte protected" on that games but no avail. :(

I wasted hours trying to identify what was causing the problem, the question is something related to the memory configuration affecting the game itself, corrupting it in some way?

Does it make any sense?

I've already run tests to check the health of the chips gotek drive and everything appears to be ok. I've even tested different versions of gotek firmware but the problem persists.

I replicated the same settings on Winuae and this doesn't happen.

It's very frustrating   :(

Thank you all !

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: Alien Breed S.E. gets corrupted if using 512kb chip + 512kb slow ram
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 11:02:46 PM »
I hope you are not switching anything while the Amiga is powered on?

Offline paul1981

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 11:11:00 PM »
Yeah, that was my first thought too! Although without having actually experienced switching RAM myself, I thought i'd better not comment. I know it works in WinUAE, but I wouldn't expect it to work on real hardware.

Offline rick13010Topic starter

• Show only replies by rick13010
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 11:13:56 PM »
Switch transition was made on off mode. ;)

Offline paul1981

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 06:31:04 PM »
Maybe you need to keep it powered down for longer (after RAM switching), before turning your Amiga back on again?