Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga gaming in a retrogaming multiplatform machine inside a C=64  (Read 8840 times)

Description:

Offline RetrofanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Retrofan
Re: Amiga gaming in a retrogaming multiplatform machine inside a C=64
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 05:10:40 PM »
I've been thinking how to make the power on button, and I've just done this, that will go in the original plate where says "power". Yes, the socket connector for the Psu is now a button:

The mobo model is in the first post.

A keyboard better than the original is something relative. I don't want a better keyboard. I want the same keyboard.

Still I haven't thought about the PSU, it's a 150watts one that came with a Pico Psu kit. If it doesn't fit inside a C= one I think I will leave it as is; anyway you don't pay much attention to it.

When I talk about the position of the cd in the CUSA one

is that it seems to be not from the middle, but above it. Perhaps I'm wrong and it's just the photo, because if it's above, it would be very difficult to open the case.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:25:40 PM by Retrofan »
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 05:34:18 PM »
It's a nice project, shame it's Intel Atom instead of AMD Fusion though. Looks well put together. Have you thought about spray painting the DVD drive tray to match the case colour? I like using the DIN ports for the fan.

Personally I think the C64X should have used a slot-load DVD drive, it would have looked neater. Using an off-the-shelf memory card 3.5" adaptor is great for a home-project like yours (and it looks very neat on the back), but the C64X could have put these bays over/below the DVD drive too.

Where will you fit the KeyRah, doesn't the motherboard interfere?

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 05:43:51 PM »
C64X should have used a slot-load DVD drive
We do provide that option, even for the bluray.

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;634708
It's a nice project, shame it's Intel Atom instead of AMD Fusion though. Looks well put together. Have you thought about spray painting the DVD drive tray to match the case colour? I like using the DIN ports for the fan.

Personally I think the C64X should have used a slot-load DVD drive, it would have looked neater. Using an off-the-shelf memory card 3.5" adaptor is great for a home-project like yours (and it looks very neat on the back), but the C64X could have put these bays over/below the DVD drive too.

Where will you fit the KeyRah, doesn't the motherboard interfere?

Thanks. Really good questions here. First I like more the tray load system as although it seems bigger, the slot load one leaves a huge hole there.

The question about the dvd bezel is very interesting. I told I'm going to change it to put another black too, but with white logos. I bought anyway the DVD without bezel.

I have stored the piece of plastic I cutted for the mobo at the rear part, and I could do as I've previously done in an Amiga a bezel using the same plastic (this bezel was made with an spare A1200 trapdoor):

Surely I will make anyway that bezel in the Commodore too, but I think that black color matches with the rear card reader and the lateral plate for the joysticks and power switch.

About the keyrah, yes it will interfere, but I will desolder the connectors and will put it between the HD and the mobo soldering some cables.

Hey BigBenAussie what do you think of my power button?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:13:21 PM by Retrofan »
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 06:21:05 PM »
Hey BigBenAussie what do you think of my power button?
It's a novel solution.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 07:42:03 PM »
Thanks.

Does anybody have the measures of the Keyrah? I need them as still I haven't received it (don't worry, it's going to fit).

EDIT: I've found I've done something wrong, but I've got no problem to change it: The HD. Instead of horizontally it will be better vertically. I've got enough room for it. That's not a problem, as I've got it screwed to a perforated aluminium plate, so I can change it.

That way I'll have more room between it and the mobo to put the keyrah.

EDIT: I don't know, but I keep thinking that if they have done it like this:
they can't open the case. I hope that in his prototype they have changed it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 03:33:08 PM by Retrofan »

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 01:14:47 AM »
Update:

This is how the keyrah looks from new:

And this is how it is now:

But it's already connected... so where are the cables? Under the card and under the mobo:

The board for the joysticks has it's traces cutted where I don't want continuity.

Well, I've got to try the joysticks still, but the main thing is working: the keyboard.

Aaaah, I love my power button; I should pattent it.

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 02:02:57 AM »
Nice looking project.  I hope you made sure that there was nothing conductive left in that power button.  I still remember the horror I had when my brother decided to plug the PSU into the data port of my C64.  If it will fit, SOMEONE will find something to stick in it.  Wouldn't want any bad shorts.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 02:11:00 AM »
Quote from: Belial6;636153
Nice looking project.  I hope you made sure that there was nothing conductive left in that power button.  I still remember the horror I had when my brother decided to plug the PSU into the data port of my C64.  If it will fit, SOMEONE will find something to stick in it.  Wouldn't want any bad shorts.

Owch!  Mind you, I managed to plug an A600 power supply into a C128!  Not a good idea and the bloody power supplies look identical and have the same connector... just different voltages!  :mad:
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »
Quote from: Belial6;636153
Nice looking project. I hope you made sure that there was nothing conductive left in that power button. I still remember the horror I had when my brother decided to plug the PSU into the data port of my C64. If it will fit, SOMEONE will find something to stick in it. Wouldn't want any bad shorts.

Thanks for the advice. No, it's just plastic what remains in the button, and it was very easy to make it, my brother lives far away, nobody wants to touch such a vintage machine and my family always give me funny looks for the things I do.

I've got to comment that in the first photos you can see that the keys are higher than originally. By then I had changed the keys and they weren't completely pressed. After that I changed too the way I had glued the keyboard supports. I'll show new photos when I'll have all working (if I get to do it).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:46:47 PM by Retrofan »

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 05:32:42 PM »
Did you think I coudn't improve my power button? Well I've made this (the one of the left is what it has inside):

The first button I've installed has it always in the same position. Is the one you usually have in your PC. What's wrong with that is that it has to be a little out always so you can push it. With this new one it has two positions. What's good is that pressed you can leave it in the original C64 position, and as it has two pins for on-off and two pins for the led, I could leave the original C64 power light as it is and I could have light in the button (you could see it through it's holes) for the HD activity. What's wrong is that if you turn off the computer with Windows, later you'll have to press it to have it in the off position.

Well, I'll have to think which will I leave.

And it seems now I'll have to wait for another ram card I've ordered today.

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 01:53:38 PM »
Hi:
I've been a week out, but yesterday I installed the ram card, but it seems I have to wait for another. See this thread and you'll see how many problems there are to find the right one to start the mini ITX before you can update it's Bios: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...e=en-us&page=1

I have installed the 9.5mm Dvd drive and it fits perfect. Now I won't have any problem to put the keyboard at the right height. When I'll have all running I would like to change it for a 9,5mm Blu-Ray.

I've received the Chinesse Mice too, and now I've got this running, just as I planned:

Of course the cable is disconnected, and I've taked out it's wheel, just to let it look like the original. It uses a nano USB connector, as it's wireless. I've tried it and it works perfect.

I wonder what mice the CUSA people are going to use. I will use the right/original/autentic one.

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 12:20:59 AM »
:hammer:A photo of the progress in my -more than ever- messy place. I've just installed Windows 7 Professional:

I've got a couple of ideas in my mind:

-To take off the cable of the mouse:
Against: It won't look as "original" (although for that I should buy another mouse, as they've got different cables).
In favor: I can use it from further & it will look like an original/modified one.
-To buy an smaller PSU and to put it inside a C=64 one
-To change at least one of the Keyrah joystick connectors and use an Amigakit one -but for this I want to try it first-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 02:40:33 AM by Retrofan »

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 01:24:15 AM »
Very clean looking builds, kudos.

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 02:27:47 AM »
Thanks. How many kudos?

Watching other C64x posts I've got to say 2 things by now:
- It isn't overheating at all (and very silent).
- I've got it connected with Wifi.

Edit:
I was going to close it right now, but it's making updating 1 of 81 ones...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:05:45 AM by Retrofan »

« Reply #29 from previous page: July 17, 2011, 09:44:31 PM »
Well, I've got all connected. Keyboard, card reader, internal wifi, wireless mouse... and all working. I've left finally the hd light connected to a led inside the power button, and the C=64 light connected to the Keyrah.
This is a photo I taked before I closed it:

And I've made a poor quality video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nm1zgunDVc