Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What should I look for in PC laptops, when emulating?  (Read 894 times)

Description:

Offline AmidufferTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
What should I look for in PC laptops, when emulating?
« on: November 06, 2006, 05:31:46 PM »
Hi all. I'm looking around for a used laptop, and had the idea of running one of the Amiga emulators.

What would be the ideal setup or at least the bare minimum in a used laptop that would give me decent performance on the Amiga side, as far as Win OS, Ram size, ghz/mhz, etc.

Thanks.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: What should I look for in PC laptops, when emulating?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 05:56:40 PM »
When it comes to emaulating, especailly the miggy with all its custome chips etc, the more you can chuck at it the better the experience.

I run Winuae, on this laptop which is a lowly pentium III 500mhz with 328Mb of ram, and ATI rage mobility M1.  Its just about acceptable on A500 stuff, though sound get very choppy.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
Re: What should I look for in PC laptops, when emulating?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 06:10:21 PM »
Hi,

My 2c worth: I'd say around an 800MHz+ CPU, and either Windows 2000 (with 256Mb RAM) or XP (with 512Mb RAM) should give a decent enough Amiga experience with WinUAE.

It's not essential, but can also help if the laptop has a discrete graphics card (even something ancient like a Geforce2Go or similar) with its own GPU and RAM, rather than a basic embedded effort.

And the usual stuff applies, like making sure the latest DirectX, audio drivers, video drivers, etc, are installed.

With some older laptops that use NVidia chipsets, LaptopVideo2Go is a useful resource, allowing newer drivers to be installed on older chipsets...

- Ali