Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 500+ leaking battery and other issues/questions  (Read 5345 times)

Description:

Offline blindguy

The following users thanked this post: M

Offline MTopic starter

• Show only replies by M
Re: Amiga 500+ leaking battery and other issues/questions
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 05:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The puller came and I removed Gary, the socket looks like it needs replacing along with maybe Gary as well:

This is getting a bit beyond my skill level, I'll have a think about it and maybe practice my soldering on an old kit I've got, then see if I fancy giving it a go. Thanks for your help.

Offline blindguy

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 05:48:32 PM »
Have you tried contact cleaner on the socketed chips?

I spray with that and scrub with a toothbrush or somethign.  You may get them clean enough as long as there is not any physical damage like a pin missing or something.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=sxin_3_ac_d_rm?ac_md=3-3-ZGVveGl0-ac_d_rm&keywords=contact+cleaner&pd_rd_i=B00006LVEU&pd_rd_r=a333d59c-266d-4303-8e17-32375bd9e915&pd_rd_w=Z7q4k&pd_rd_wg=5sKZn&pf_rd_p=ed481207-4bea-4e19-bbad-73ed40fdc292&pf_rd_r=03Z2DGSY4347DE9MVW68&psc=1&qid=1572544011

Offline MTopic starter

• Show only replies by M
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 07:42:36 PM »
I cleaned them with Isopropyl alcohol. Some of the pins felt loose and the second from the top left looks cracked.

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 07:55:33 PM »
If I were in your position I would definitely replace that socket rather than try to refurbish it.  That said, it's easy for me to say when I have invested in all the right tools for doing this sort of work.

Desoldering a DIP socket properly can be a bit tricky.  But given that the part is scrap anyway, there's no need to desolder it  "properly".  Here is an improper method that will work and will be easier for you:

Carefully cut away all the plastics to free each pin from its neighbour.  Now, to desolder, you can simply apply sufficient heat to each joint in turn and carefully pull the pin out.  Now, there are two important things here:
  • CAREFULLY cut the plastic.  Don't wrench and bend it.  Use good, sharp tools.  Don't damage the PCB!
  • When removing a pin, apply sufficient heat and fresh solder.  If the pin still won't come easily, find out why rather than force.

This will be relatively simple for you to do with only basic tools required.  Of course, the DIP socket will be completely destroyed but we are not trying to salvage it anyway.

If you still feel like you can't do it then you can try the cleaning method previously offered by blindguy.  If this was going to be my strategy I would clean thoroughly, then replace the IC, and I would take a resistance measurement from the solder-side to the shoulder of each pin on the IC.  Expect a low resistance.  High resistance means your cleaning has been unsuccessful. 

I don't suppose you're located anywhere near South Wales, UK? If yes I will happily meet up and help you save this AMIGA.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2019, 10:20:55 PM »
Regarding Gary, it might be worth while dipping all the pins in a vinegar bath for a minute (or use a cotton bud to apply) and then rinse off with water.
The pins can be carefully sanded with a very fine grain sand paper if contact cleaner or WD-40 doesn't bring them up. I suppose in a nutshell you've go to try and make them look pretty decent, like they're electrically conducting pins.

Offline Brian Hoskins

• brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 09:03:52 AM »
The pins can be carefully sanded with a very fine grain sand paper if contact cleaner or WD-40 doesn't bring them up.

A fibre pen is what you want for this kind of work.  Like this:

https://uk.farnell.com/duratool/bu1019-1/pencil-brush-4mm-glass-fibre-scratch/dp/1421553

You can also get brass inserts for them but the fibre glass inserts are best for this particular application.

I notice you can also get them on Amazon, cheaper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modelcraft-PBU1019-1-Glass-Pencil/dp/B002Z8IX36

Offline MTopic starter

• Show only replies by M
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 04:51:32 PM »
Or even cheaper on eBay :) although it'll take a few days to arrive. Thanks for the offer, I'm in London so not a million miles away but still a fair old drive.

I forgot to mention when I put Gary back in it started behaving a bit more Amiga-ery. The green light came on brighter than before (no drive light), and a soft reset* seemed to be working as the caps key flashed, but still just a black screen and nothing from the floppy drive.

*when it was working I had to perform a soft reset when first powering the Amiga on to get the startup screen.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 04:54:08 PM by M »

Offline Brian Hoskins

• brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 06:08:51 PM »
I'm in London so not a million miles away but still a fair old drive.

OK, let's see how far you can get over the next few weeks with continued advice from forum members.

If, by Christmas time, you're stuck in the mud we'll try to arrange something.  Do you reckon you could get over to a South West Amiga Group event? I've never been to one before but would be interested to attend.  We could contact them and ask if we can have a desk area so that we can setup your Miggy and get her going.

https://www.southwestamiga.org.uk/

Offline MTopic starter

• Show only replies by M
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »
Possibly although the January date is actually my birthday :D Hopefully I'll have it working by then.