Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Configuring specific resolutions under W2K and nVidia for WinUAE  (Read 1853 times)

Description:

Offline StrangediskTopic starter

• Show only replies by Strangedisk
Configuring specific resolutions under W2K and nVidia for WinUAE
« on: November 23, 2002, 02:37:33 AM »
Hello, a quick question, if anyone knows how to do this.  I run WinUAE under Win2K with an nVidia GeForce 4 Ti4200.

I know it's possible to get custom resolutions out of it but don't know how.  I want to set my WinUAE to something between 640x480 and 800x600 so that I can get a full-screen with some overscan, at the right size for my monitor.  Does anyone know to to set it to for example 720x500 or so?

I found a site that shows how to do this for MAME, but with a different nVidia.  The same trick does not work with my card.  Help?

:-?

Re: Configuring specific resolutions under W2K and nVidia for WinUAE
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 04:37:55 AM »
its fairly easy to switch screen resolutions in winuae, actually, you can do it within the workbench itself.  

double click "system" icon and "prefs".  a new folder will open with various icons.  double click on
'screenmode' in the prefs folder.  winuae will show a requester of various screen modes and refresh rates.  

personally i run winuae (amiga forever) in 1024xs768 and dont have a problem with my nvidia riva tnt2 ultra.  so it should work fine.

i hope this helps.  if not. well yell and scream at me if it blows up!!

"they told me to use Windows or better, so i chose Linux...."

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2002, 04:53:59 AM »
Oh, no, that's not what i meant! :)

I mean, if I want to run older Classic Amiga software, like games that directly hit the custom chips, under WinUAE, it will want to use either PAL or NTSC modes.  And that's fine, but those modes don't map well to common screen resolutions.  640x480 is too small to show things correctly (some games use overscan for example) and 800x600 is too much (the visible area is smaller than the physical monitor space) so neither works out correctly.  If I want to use Workbench and Picasso drivers, well, of course there's no problem there at any resolution.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2002, 05:01:02 AM »
In fact I'll clarify a little more.  We are all familiar with the common PC resolutions, like 640x480 or 800x600 or 1024x768.  But it is possible to configure most video cards to use any resolution that your monitor can display.  Like for example 700x500 if you want, and even use these resolutions with your windows software.  But it's doubly useful to have them for Amiga software because one could map the Amiga resolutions+overscan over to them better than the common windows resolutions.

Offline Elektro

• Show only replies by Elektro
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2002, 05:16:49 AM »
Try PowerStrip.
#amiga.org @ irc.synirc.net

Offline Desolator

• Show only replies by Desolator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2002, 08:43:17 PM »
"Does anyone know to to set it to for example 720x500 or so?"

Isn't it just to type in whatever value you want in the graphics box? I think I run 320*240 or something similar and choosing "fullscreen" and "fullscreen RTG" or something and I get a fullscreen with my Amiga500 setup. ;)

got to check my WinUAE config later and see what I really had.
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline jumpship

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2002, 09:23:10 PM »

Sorry got the wrong end of the stick!  :whack:

---

OK re-read your post! If you are using one of the latter versions of WinUAE you can use OpenGL to scale the image to a resolution that you like. If you switch on Bilinear filtering it will also smooth the image a bit.

So rather then adjust the Geforce to the Amiga resolution, you are just scaling the Amgia to the GeForce...

I think that is what you mean!

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2002, 02:01:51 AM »
Okay, little update, I tried powerstrip, and it worked exactly right!  I now have even games working right, even with overscan (in other words, if they overscanned off the screen with the Amiga, they overscan right off the screen with the emulation -- meanwhile, the entire glass of the monitor is filled up exactly right with the image -- AWESOME!)  It's even better because I can (and must) tune it to be, for example, 720x480 (NTSC), at 120 refresh rate, so everything looks rock solid.

Cool, thanks Electro!  :-D

Erik

Offline Elektro

• Show only replies by Elektro
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2002, 02:44:07 AM »
 :-D
#amiga.org @ irc.synirc.net